Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orfieus

Looking to upgrade to Zen3, is there a mobo that will support Zen4?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I know it might be a silly question since Zen3 isn't out yet and little (if any) information is known about Zen4 but if I were to upgrade to the Zen3 what mobo will give me the best odds at being compatible with Zen4?

Link to post
Share on other sites

no, zen4 will likely use a completely different socket, and have support for DDR5, unless you pull out some back to the future level shit you will not be able to get a zen4 motherboard for at least 2 years


Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600k@5.0GHz | GPU 1: GTX 1660@2070MHz | GPU 2: GT 710 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480GB |  HDD: 2x 2TB WD Black | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro, Manjaro

 

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 10 Pro

 

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120GB | OS: Debian Buster

 

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120GB | OS: Debian Buster

 

Laptop [A hunk of shit]:

Model: MacBook Air Late 2010 | CPU: Core 2 Duo L9600 | RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1066MHz | OS: MacOS Catalina 

 

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orfieus said:

I know it might be a silly question since Zen3 isn't out yet and little (if any) information is known about Zen4 but if I were to upgrade to the Zen3 what mobo will give me the best odds at being compatible with Zen4?

Zen 4 will reportedly use AM5, not AM4.

Plus AMD has always said they will support AM4 up to (and including, as we can conclude) 2020, so don't except Zen 4/Ryzen 5000 to be AM4.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we will see ZEN 4 before 2022. Those would also need DDR5, which isn't even finalized yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I don't think we will see ZEN 4 before 2022. Those would also need DDR5, which isn't even finalized yet.

I'm still rocking a 4770k (have it OC to 4.2ghz so it isn't that bad) but I need to upgrade this year and I was hoping to could upgrade to a mobo that will last a good 4-5yrs so I could upgrade at least one more generation

 

Really sucks I am upgrading at the end of the lifecycle but it is what it is

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orfieus said:

I'm still rocking a 4770k (have it OC to 4.2ghz so it isn't that bad) but I need to upgrade this year and I was hoping to could upgrade to a mobo that will last a good 4-5yrs so I could upgrade at least one more generation

 

Really sucks I am upgrading at the end of the lifecycle but it is what it is

I agree with you 100%. I had to switch to AM4 because of a failing and really old 775 motherboard. For now I am using a 3100 until ZEN 3 comes around. But I guess a 16 core ZEN 3 will last for at least 5 years or more, paired with a RTX3000 card and a decent amount of memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I agree with you 100%. I had to switch to AM4 because of a failing and really old 775 motherboard. For now I am using a 3100 until ZEN 3 comes around. But I guess a 16 core ZEN 3 will last for at least 5 years or more, paired with a RTX3000 card and a decent amount of memory.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Going with the 3080 since I game on a 1440p 144hz monitor that will probably be more then enough (right now I have a 1080Ti)

Link to post
Share on other sites

inb4 AM4+, with CPU's that support DDR4 & DDR5.


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 32 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

inb4 AM4+, with CPU's that support DDR4 & DDR5.

Shhh, don't give them any ideas.


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I don't think we will see ZEN 4 before 2022. Those would also need DDR5, which isn't even finalized yet.

No, Zen 4 will likely be Q4 2021. Zen 3 is still due out this year, and if COVID-19 didn't knock AMD off its cadence, I don't see it happening next year either.

 

DDR5 is a different story. The spec is finalized, but I still don't see it making it into the consumer market next year. Maybe 2022 or 2023. It's possible Zen 4 might start supporting it, though, just to be ready, but I really doubt you're going to buying or building systems with DDR5 that soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I agree with you 100%. I had to switch to AM4 because of a failing and really old 775 motherboard. For now I am using a 3100 until ZEN 3 comes around. But I guess a 16 core ZEN 3 will last for at least 5 years or more, paired with a RTX3000 card and a decent amount of memory.

It'll last a decade or more in terms of still being good to use, but you'll be itching for an upgrade before 5 years. That's an eternity in tech time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Orfieus said:

I know it might be a silly question since Zen3 isn't out yet and little (if any) information is known about Zen4 but if I were to upgrade to the Zen3 what mobo will give me the best odds at being compatible with Zen4?

zen 4 will likely be ddr5 anyway, and if the past is any indication, it's not worth it at all to build during the first gen of a ram switch lol...so zen 3 will be perfect timing imho. 


9900k 1.32v max 1.26v avx 5.1ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

 

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It'll last a decade or more in terms of still being good to use, but you'll be itching for an upgrade before 5 years. That's an eternity in tech time.

Not really, I still have an old ThinkPad in use from 2008, still fast enough for office stuff and 720p youtube (1280x800 screen). I prefer to get as much out of hardware as possible as long as I don't have to play games at 240p anymore (yes, I am old enough to remember 320x240 resolutions and 2D accelerators were a thing). 

But honestly, I am upgrading my graphics card every 3 years or so or every other generation and recently there hasn't been much generational improvement. Unless all games suddenly need x amount of VRAM and you need 32 cores or more to run at 1080 or 1440p, I don't think ZEN 3 will be outdated that fast. Also consider there might be an updated ZEN3+ version coming out, given that Intel is currently so far behind that AMD can focus on polishing ZEN 4 for longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Not really, I still have an old ThinkPad in use from 2008, still fast enough for office stuff and 720p youtube (1280x800 screen). I prefer to get as much out of hardware as possible as long as I don't have to play games at 240p anymore (yes, I am old enough to remember 320x240 resolutions and 2D accelerators were a thing). 

But honestly, I am upgrading my graphics card every 3 years or so or every other generation and recently there hasn't been much generational improvement. Unless all games suddenly need x amount of VRAM and you need 32 cores or more to run at 1080 or 1440p, I don't think ZEN 3 will be outdated that fast. Also consider there might be an updated ZEN3+ version coming out, given that Intel is currently so far behind that AMD can focus on polishing ZEN 4 for longer.

Zen 3 is technically Zen 2+. Still 7nm process, but enough of a step forward in IPC and clock speeds that I guess AMD felt it warranted a full version upgrade. Zen 4 is a 5nm process. After that, who knows.

 

Also, Intel is behind, but not as far as it seems. Their 10nm is equivalent to AMD's 7nm, and those are starting to roll out. They're now targeting 7nm for 2022-23, which will be equivalent to AMD 5nm, so AMD could maybe sit out a year, but they'd be ceding their lead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×