Is duel gpu worth it for tensorflow deep learning?

bigdog1565

Hi,

I was planning to use two gtx 1660 gpus for deep learning with tensorflow and i just wanted to know is it worth it or should i get a single better gpu?

2 minutes ago, bigdog1565 said:

Hi,

I was planning to use two gtx 1660 gpus for deep learning with tensorflow and i just wanted to know is it worth it or should i get a single better gpu?

I'd look at this article:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/TensorFlow-Performance-with-1-4-GPUs----RTX-Titan-2080Ti-2080-2070-GTX-1660Ti-1070-1080Ti-and-Titan-V-1386/

It seems to scale pretty well-- two 1660Tis are close to a 2080, so I wouldn't be surprised if two 1660s is around a 2070 or 2070Super.

Another option would be the 2060KO-- it uses a cut-down 2080 die, so it tends to do very well in compute.

If I had to guess, a single RTX 2060 would smoke the two GTX 1660s simply because it's got actual dedicated hardware for deep learning on it, in the form of Tensor cores.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

It depends if tensorflow was designed for dual GPU. I believe it was far-cry 3 that was specifically  designed for dual GPUs, so you had the potential to 100%+ frames rate. Most games, however, are not designed like that, so you get much less than 100 %+. 

4 minutes ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

It depends if tensorflow was designed for dual GPU. I believe it was far-cry 3 that was specifically  designed for dual GPUs, so you had the potential to 100%+ frames rate. Most games, however, are not designed like that, so you get much less than 100 %+. 

Gonna need source on that (FC3 being designed for dual GPUs part) That era of games were particularly good on SLI. Nvidia made great efforts to make sure because they were still betting big on SLI.

OP: Nowadays I would always get the best single GPU card first then add another if your workload needs it. Single card is always less hassle than dual cards.

Also it's dual not duel.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Gonna need source on that (FC3 being designed for dual GPUs part) That era of games were particularly good on SLI. Nvidia made great efforts to make sure because they were still betting big on SLI.

OP: Nowadays I would always get the best single GPU card first then add another if your workload needs it. Single card is always less hassle than dual cards.

Also it's dual not duel.

I might have the game wrong. Point being that it's up to the program designer to design the program in such a way to take advantage of duel GPU s similar to how it is up to the a program designer to design a program to use multiple cores on the CPU.    

22 hours ago, bigdog1565 said:

Hi,

Do you already have a 1660? If so, then go for it. You actually don't need to use the same card, you can try to get the best one you can afford ATM and mix it with your current 1660. If not, then try to go for a RTX card due to the tensor cores, preferably a 2060 Super/2070 due do the 8gb of vram.

22 hours ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

22 hours ago, Levent said:

Also it's dual not duel.

This is not a gaming load, it scales pretty much linearly with more GPUs, even different ones. And such cases 2x GPUs is better than one since you get double the performance and vram. Check out the link posted by @Grabhanem for more conclusive results.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, igormp said:

This is not a gaming load, it scales pretty much linearly with more GPUs, even different ones. And such cases 2x GPUs is better than one since you get double the performance and vram. Check out the link posted by @Grabhanem for more conclusive results.

I am aware of what OP is asking. OP hasn't mentioned that they already owned a 1660. If I knew that I would have suggested something different. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

43 minutes ago, Levent said:

I am aware of what OP is asking. OP hasn't mentioned that they already owned a 1660. If I knew that I would have suggested something different. 

My bad then, I just found it weird that you guys were talking about games and SLI in a thread about tensorflow. I also don't know if OP already has a 1660 or not, that's why I suggested 2 scenarios.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga