Pc Shutting Down Randomly

Go to solution Solved by Gecko,

Change the power supply! 650+

Hi,

My PC has this problem that it shuts down sometimes on a high load I'm not sure what's the problem. I have tried switching the CPU so I suspect that its not from the CPU. The hardware specs are noted down below.

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L/ USB3 760G Am3+

Processor: AMD FX-8150 @ Stock speed

RAM Memory: 16GB of Corsair Vengeance, 1600Mhz

Graphics Card: AMD  HD 7770

Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 550 W

PS. this system is used on CPU intensive programs like rendering.

I'd say defective PSU, but could be something else like overheating if cooler isn't seated properly.

Try running a program like cpu-z when you are under high load and see what temperatures you are getting on your CPU, it maybe over heating and thats why its crashing. 

I would say check the temps in the bios right after a reboot.

if anything is 80+ C I'd get a different cooler or install some more fans.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Either cpu/gpu/motherboard/ram overheating or faulting PSU that is failing when the load gets to high.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I had a similar problem, but only after I changed the CPU - I had a motherboard that supposedly supported the 4 core, but after all the trouble I went through it apparently did not.

What I did was check the temperature, switched the PSU (Power supply) - check te ram, check the drivers and what not.

Only after I bought a new motherboard it worked, I had the same symptoms, PC shutting down randomly after a heavy (and sometimes average) load - sometimes when playing games, other times when only just reaching Desktop.

Try making absolutely sure it's compatible with your motherboard, mine said it was compatible on the box, but it was not.

Took me about a month of working on it all day before I got to the conclusion of just  buying a new motherboard, I used to have a 2 core, but bought a 4 core to make my gaming experience better - turned out it ruined the first month.

Hope this helps.

[W00T first post :)]

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I had a similar problem, but only after I changed the CPU - I had a motherboard that supposedly supported the 4 core, but after all the trouble I went through it apparently did not.

What I did was check the temperature, switched the PSU (Power supply) - check te ram, check the drivers and what not.

Only after I bought a new motherboard it worked, I had the same symptoms, PC shutting down randomly after a heavy (and sometimes average) load - sometimes when playing games, other times when only just reaching Desktop.

Try making absolutely sure it's compatible with your motherboard, mine said it was compatible on the box, but it was not.

Took me about a month of working on it all day before I got to the conclusion of just  buying a new motherboard, I used to have a 2 core, but bought a 4 core to make my gaming experience better - turned out it ruined the first month.

Hope this helps.

[W00T first post :)]

Great thought, although that CPU is certified with that motherboard (plus, CPU is 125W, board takes 140W). It might be worth checking that the BIOS is compatible, but it generally wouldn't even post if it wasn't, so I highly doubt that's the issue.

I would say check the temps in the bios right after a reboot.

if anything is 80+ C I'd get a different cooler or install some more fans.

You'd be surprised just how quickly the temps will drop. Checking after reboot is not accurate. Also, some systems won't boot up again until the temperature is below an acceptable level.

Either sit there with something like HWMonitor and watch the temps if it fails within a few minutes or if it takes longer (and you don't want to sit and watch), you can get temp logging programs that will write to a text file every so often, so you can check it when you start back up. If you want to make it fail faster, use a stress test, such as Prime95.

Generally if the temperatures are okay, it's a Power Supply issue.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

Well I have a Antec kuhler h2o watercooler so i think its not from the temperature.

For the BIOS not being compatable i think its not because yes it wont even boot and it has been updated to the latest version.

So just to confirm your on BIOS 1503? Correct?

Sorry just to correct myself BIOS
1505, Correct?

Edited by WikoSiko

check your ram is fully inserted into the slots

this messed me up on my first build

random resets for weeks until i figured it out

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

normally if its a cooling issue you will get an error report, have you checked windows reporting to see what you are crashing? If there is nothing there its most likely a PSU issue. I've had this before myself, very frustrating as its quite random

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

First thing I would suggest is swap the power supply.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 2.0)    Micron C400 256GB SSD     MSI GTX 660 Ti PE OC     Logitech G510

Intel i7 960 @ 4.125GHz                        WD Black 1TB                         Windows 7 Pro 64bit        Logitech G9x

Kingston HyperX 6GB                             Corsair TX850M                     Corsair H50                        Logitech z906

I have the same problem on a PC I build myself.

AMD 5800K

AsRock FM2A75-DGS

ASUS Radeon HD 6670 1GB

8GB Crucial Ballestix 1866 MHz

SilverStone something 430W PSU (Single 12V rail)

WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM

the PC jusat randomly crash. Please help because if the PC dies I will get in a world of trouble.

Did you updated the firmware of your mainboards?

Change the power supply! 650+

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

well if it only crashs at a high cpu load... then i would say its software issues

what o.s   are you using?

try doing testing .after booting to (hiren's bootcd 15.2) or (ultimatebootcd 5.2.3 )

you then can  run a cpu stress program. and see if it still crashs 

then you would be testing only the hardware. if all the hardware pass;s then you know its the os or programs

Question about your memory, Is it Two 8 gig kits or one 16 gig kit

two 8 gig kits might not run at at 1600 Mhz, might get errors and crash