mATX case without wasted space for HDD/DVD or water-cooling

HerrKaLeu

I want to build a PC that only uses m.2 SSD. No need for HDD/DVD. Here is what should fit in:

• Maximum board size would be mATX
  • ATX bottom-mounted and easy to maintain filter
  • one to two 2.5" SSD
  • iGPU or a smaller graphics card
  • ideally 2 front 140mm fans, alternatively 2 120mm fans. Easy to maintain filter. A bottom fan with easily maintainable filter also would be good.
  • air cooling only. I assume since the width is a minimum due to the ATX-PSU, it may fit a 120mm cooler. Alternatively 92mm cooler may be OK. Not looking at more much than 65W TDP CPU.
  • Easy to clean air filter for all intake fans inc. PSU. Something what Fractal Design does with the Define units would be great. 

All the cases still have the space in front for HDD/DVD and possible radiators. That adds about 10-12 cm to the depth of the case and is not used in my build. Many cases also have options for top radiator, which again wastes space for my case. Since the maximum is two 2.5" SSD, this also would cut down on cable management needs.

Something like a small FD Refine, but shorter and lower. Ideally price and quality are not worse than Fractal Design. I don't care for a window, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker since my planned build would be very neat. Since this build doesn't really require much actual building, I also would look at a lower quality than FD if needed.

It seems most cases are still built for HDD. I realize people still buy them new, or have old ones. But I want to build a PC that has the absolute minimum only and has a case as small as possible. I don't want an ITX case, since I want to use the cheaper and more available mATX hardware. Without HDD space it should be possible to make an mATX case almost as small as an ITX case. I also recycle my main rig hardware (mATX) in this smaller build. I realize this case will be useless for someone who needs 3.5" drives.

the closest what I found is this Rosewill FBM-X2 for around $40 it holds 1 HDD, so they could still make it a bit shorter without that HDD space. I'm also not sure about the PSU dust filter. 

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Are you looking to hide your power cables, since this build is going to be neat?

I looked at the FBM-X2 that you listed, it does seem to fit what you are asking about, but your cables will be exposed.

Do you want built-in cable management?

Are you more worried about thermals or sound?

Also, how much is your upper limit on cost?

I myself am looking into a new case for my system, with a new back bone upgrade (8 years it is needed). I am trying to keep my cost to around $100 USD.

I see your reasoning for not going ITX. (some of the parts required are quite expensive.)

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

I looked at every major manufacturer, inc. Silverstone. which model are you referring to?

the build will be neat by default since the SSd mainly will be m.2. that also makes it easy to work in. So i don't need elaborate cable management or hiding shrouds. 

Thermals and sound are important. but this will be a 65W CPU system with either an iGPU system , or a relatively weak GPU (I realize for an actually powerful gaming rig it needs a larger case). 2 120mm case fans should be able to cool it silently.A good dust filter system would be really good.

I sometimes cycle my hardware around, or sell a system to a relative and then give them the case and hardware that fits them best (usually my lowest level). So getting one that is ITX would really be impractical since all my hardware is mATX. 

Cost should be low like the Rosewill, but could be like a Fractal Design, if it is the same level of quality. 

Silverstone PS15 fits an ATX PSU. They also have their GD and ML series of HTPC cases which might interest you if you're thinking about a low profile cooler too instead of a full tower. 

Here's a spreadsheet of cases sorted by size. Most are mITX but there's a few good mATX cases in here too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dzRY3LLsXcDX5Qt5PvQOrAJhw0EK9Cy7UtQPdyRp6PY/edit#gid=0

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Silverstone PS15 fits an ATX PSU. They also have their GD and ML series of HTPC cases which might interest you if you're thinking about a low profile cooler too instead of a full tower. 

Here's a spreadsheet of cases sorted by size. Most are mITX but there's a few good mATX cases in here too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dzRY3LLsXcDX5Qt5PvQOrAJhw0EK9Cy7UtQPdyRp6PY/edit#gid=0

thanks for the info. the PS 15 doesn't look bad. the ML seem to be ITX. the GD seem to be tailored to look like a stereo (meaning they will be like laying on the side). 

I'll digest the spreadsheet. thanks for setting this up. Has some interesting options. 

9 hours ago, HerrKaLeu said:

thanks for the info. the PS 15 doesn't look bad. the ML seem to be ITX. the GD seem to be tailored to look like a stereo (meaning they will be like laying on the side). 

I'll digest the spreadsheet. thanks for setting this up. Has some interesting options. 

Most of the ML's are mITX, but the ML03 and ML04 are mATX with standard ATX PSU support, but still very short (requiring stock or low profile coolers)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I haven't found the perfect case yet, but have 3 contenders:

Rosewill FBM-X2  they cost around $30-$40, but are currently not well available. 

Jonsbo U3  Cost around $70, but isn't really available these days. My nitpick is they should put the PSU at the bottom and draw air for it from below.

Silverstone PS 15  Is around $70, and has a glass panel. I'd prefer the solid panel. sn' look bad, but 

For comparison, I already own a Fractal Design core 1100, but think it is 2 large due to DVD option (and has room for improvement for my case). I actually own 2 of them. The above are a bit wider, which works for for larger coolers. 

1 hour ago, HerrKaLeu said:

Silverstone PS 15  Is around $70, and has a glass panel. I'd prefer the solid panel. sn' look bad, but 

Also forgot to mention:

Coolermaster Q300L, panel is acrylic. 

Fractal Design Define Mini C. Not super small like the PS15 bu has high build quality and a solid side panel.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Rosewill FBM-X2. But I actually will return it. No, it isn't that bad. The good, it also can fit two 140mm fans in the front. 

The bad are:

- the front panel has an opening at the bottom. that will bypass the front filter. Front filter is a bit too much, since it is not fine, more like little holes. But still better than that opening. I have a Fractal Core 1100, which has the same problem. 

- A regular 400w PSU that is 160mm long doesn't fit in with the cables due to the HDD cage. there is about 180mm space, and the 2 cm gap isn't enough to bend my modular cables. At least not without using violence. I also have another 400w PSU, which is also 160mm long. So I assume that is a more or less standard length. 

Yes, I could drill out the HDD cage, but then I couldn't return the case anymore. If for some reason they don't let me return it, i may try that. The cage could have been 5-10mm  closer to the front, which would make this work. 

Look at the Cooler Master MB311L. Comes with pretty decent 120mm fans, fits the 140mm fans fine IIRC. Goes as low as $50. There's space for 2 HDDs but the rack is not installed by default for more cable space. Tempered glass side panel and large mesh front for good thermals.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Total 180°. I already requested the RMA for return, but slept over that case and decided to give it a shot. I drilled out the HDD cage, which gave my PSU (160mm long) enough room and also serves as a storage space for items. 

with the HDD removed, you also can slide the fans a bit lower. This enables two 140mm fans to be installed. If the HDD cage is installed, the fans are higher, and may bend the USB-3 cable. (the case is rated for 2x120mm only). i installed two 140mm front fans and removed the rear 120 mm fan that came with the case.

My 145mm (120mm fan) CPU cooler also fits with very little room to spare. panel and SSd cables fit behind the mobo-tray. The mobo-cable doesn't without fear of bending the right panel. 

2.5" SSD are easy to install and you can install them after the mobo (some cases require that before the mobo). 

Conclusion:

- this case is as small as you can make it wile being able to install cables. If you have a smaller PSU, you can leave the HDD cage in, but I think that cage would make things much tighter. 

- thermals are similar to my Define R5 (I only have iGPU on a non-OC i7700K). My R5 also had 2 bottom fans in addition. CPU max at 76°C, the R5 with 2 added bottom fans has a 1-2°C advantage.I say if you have a graphics card with certain power, you want a larger case

- the top magnetic filter slides around when you attach panels (they could make this solid)

- PSU filter is a bit flimsy

- Front filter is bypassed by the hole in the bottom (the hole you pull on to remove the front panel). i can duct-tape over that. 

- noisier, now I hear my CPU fan under load. a closed top may help. but a 140mm CPU cooler won't fit. So it isn't like the Define cases. but noiseless under normal operation. A 65W CPU also may help. 

- The way I set it up i can install two 2.5" SSD (the HDD cage could have held the 2.5/3.5 drive plus a 2.5" on top). I'm moving to m.2 SSd anyway, so this isn't a limit

My advice to manufacturer:

- delete the HDD cage

- make it a tiny bit shorter

- have a solid top

- Use a full mesh front - that saves a bit of length and improves airflow

- design for 140 fans - because there are the rails for 120 and 140mm fans, the sheetmetal has some unnecessary restrictions. 

- skip the USB 2.0, just provide two USB 3.0

- controls should be in a 45° slant. There is always the decision between having the controls on top, or front. in 45° it would be usable in both scenarios

This case case is as minimalistic as I need it. Some pics, I like to store the parts that came with the case int he case.

Front.jpg

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

On 8/11/2020 at 2:43 AM, Packerman120203 said:

You might've finished your search but I was thinking about doing a build in a DarkFlash DLM22 case for my sister,

240mm front rad support, matx, atx psu (dont know about filter though), TG side panel

https://www.amazon.com/darkFlash-MicroATX-Computer-Magnetic-Tempered/dp/B07RBKWH8P $66 where I am

I came across that. But the manufacturer doesn't even show any specs. So that is a total shot int he dark. 

And for a glass-panel case, the quality really needs to be good. For solid panel, in the end it is just a box, but with window it needs perfect cable management, perfect quality... I just didn't see that with a case where the manufacturer doesn't even publish specs. 

10 hours ago, HerrKaLeu said:

I came across that. But the manufacturer doesn't even show any specs. So that is a total shot int he dark. 

And for a glass-panel case, the quality really needs to be good. For solid panel, in the end it is just a box, but with window it needs perfect cable management, perfect quality... I just didn't see that with a case where the manufacturer doesn't even publish specs. 

1500x1500_04_2d9a40f6-5829-4e1e-80bc-6e5cb070bfb8.jpg?v=1591694631This is on their website (https://darkflashtech.com/products/darkflash-dlm22-micro-atx-mini-itx-tower-microatx-computer-case-with-door-opening-tempered-glass-side-panel) I'm not sure what you mean by couldn't find specs.

1 hour ago, Packerman120203 said:

Look at Fractal Design or other brand name website. They tell you max PSU length, max cooler height, how many HDD and so on. How many and what fans are included? What filters, Is there a manual that indicates how easy installation will be? What is maximum thickness of the radiator? There are a lot of specs one would need to know. 

I'm not saying it is a bad case, we don't know. But documentation is poor to non-existent, which typically is a bad sign. Especially from an unknown brand.