Is there any reason NOT to update my bios? (R3600 B450M Mortar Max)

Hey everyone, so I finished my build the other day. I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 on a MSI B450M Mortar Max mobo.

I updated windows, downloaded drivers for my RX 5600 XT, mobo chipset, audio etc. But I haven't yet updated my bios.

In my bios screen it says my bios version is " E7B89AMS.260" and the build date is 12/30/2019.

I went to the MSI website and under the AMI Bios download section it says the latest version is 7B89v27 and the release date was 4/24/2020. So, about a week or so ago.

hVF4QqH.jpg

I was wondering, is there any reason why I SHOULD NOT update my bios? I'm kind of nervous to do it because I've heard it can really mess up your system. But at the same time, I've also heard that updating the bios can make your CPU temps run a bit cooler with these Ryzen 3000 series CPUs?

What do you guys think? Try updating the bios, or just leave it as is?

Well, the new bios updates the microcode to version 1.0.0.5 (agesa)

You can read what this update does : AMD Releases AGESA ComboAM4 1.0.0.5 Microcode | TechPowerUp

AGESA 1.0.0.5 improves POST (time) with select Micron Technology DDR4-3200 memory chips.

An intermittent virtual memory error with certain Realtek onboard Ethernet PHY chips has been fixed.

The microcode also improves PCI-Express bus stability and interoperability, in general.

A PCIe lane configuration issue with Ryzen 3 Pro 2100GE has been fixed.

Besides these, all other performance- and stability-improvements part of older 1.0.0.4 a/ab/abb/abba microcodes are incorporated into 1.0.0.5.

So if your system takes a long time to boot, you may have ram with micron memory chips and the new bios may speed things up a bit.

The "PCI-Express bus stability and interoperability" seems to be about some people having blue screens with some video cards when the video card tries to save power by switching between various pci-e modes (3.0, 2.0, pci-e x16, pci-e x8) - a user on reddit with a 2070 super says he no longer has random blue screens after update

So if these don't happen to you, then you can probably leave the pc like that, and just use the pc without worrying about it.

Maybe wait a week or two to see if there's no other bios to fix this recently released bios, don't rush to update as soon as something's posted unless you experience problems with the pc.

You can update ur bios.There is risk but your motherboard has bios flash back so no problem.

20 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

Hey everyone, so I finished my build the other day. I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 on a MSI B450M Mortar Max mobo.

I updated windows, downloaded drivers for my RX 5600 XT, mobo chipset, audio etc. But I haven't yet updated my bios.

In my bios screen it says my bios version is " E7B89AMS.260" and the build date is 12/30/2019.

I went to the MSI website and under the AMI Bios download section it says the latest version is 7B89v27 and the release date was 4/24/2020. So, about a week or so ago.

hVF4QqH.jpg

I was wondering, is there any reason why I SHOULD NOT update my bios? I'm kind of nervous to do it because I've heard it can really mess up your system. But at the same time, I've also heard that updating the bios can make your CPU temps run a bit cooler with these Ryzen 3000 series CPUs?

What do you guys think? Try updating the bios, or just leave it as is?

Updating is HIGHLY recommended as else you are most likely to have issues as time goes by. You need the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for the hardware to function normally and so that you avoid various issues that MSI tens to create with their firmware

In short, update it. It's easy and painless. You also have warranty in case it fails (I've never seen a BIOS update fail)

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Updating is HIGHLY recommended as else you are most likely to have issues as time goes by.

Unless he specifically is having issues with the motherboard right now, the usual advice is actually the opposite.

Don't update BIOS unless you really have to, because it can fail sometimes for no reason and brick your motherboard.

There are no "issues as time goes by", the BIOS a motherboard ships with from factory has been validated and if you're using a supported CPU there will be absolutely no issues in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Unless he specifically is having issues with the motherboard right now, the usual advice is actually the opposite.

Don't update BIOS unless you really have to, because it can fail sometimes for no reason and brick your motherboard.

There are no "issues as time goes by", the BIOS a motherboard ships with from factory has been validated and if you're using a supported CPU there will be absolutely no issues in the future.

In my experience I've never seen a dead board due to a BIOS update however newer revisions have fixed issues that he will encounter if he stays on a year old BIOS version

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

In my experience I've never seen a dead board due to a BIOS update however newer revisions have fixed issues that he will encounter if he stays on a year old BIOS version

What issues, exactly?

A girl who loves to love.

3 minutes ago, Aimi said:

What issues, exactly?

PCIe BSODs, memory load times when booting, slowed system response to certain calls. Just to name a few

16 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

There have been dozens of posts on LTT from people who just try to update their BIOS because there's a newer one out and it just freezes (for hours), and when they reset the PC the motherboard gets bricked.

Although certain AMD motherboards do seem to need BIOS updates to fix certain issues at release, unless there is a specific issue he's noticing I wouldn't risk it.

Of course some motherboards these days have a USB flashback feature that would allow you to unbrick it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

There have been dozens of posts on LTT from people who just try to update their BIOS because there's a newer one out and it just freezes (for hours), and when they reset the PC the motherboard gets bricked.

Although certain AMD motherboards do seem to need BIOS updates to fix certain issues at release, unless there is a specific issue he's noticing I wouldn't risk it.

Of course some motherboards these days have a USB flashback feature that would allow you to unbrick it.

His board has that - it's literally why I'm so comfortable telling him to go ahead with it.

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

His board has that - it's literally why I'm so comfortable telling him to go ahead with it.

Ok, then in that case sure it's fine.

Spoiler