PC heating up my room too much even though it's temps aren't that high

I think this is a kind of meta troll post to make bedazzle people and make them post whatever and keep it going without reason.

I mean where is the issue? 

5 degrees difference on his room? even if those are Celsius that's like hard for a human to tell the difference or atelast the difference is so minuscule that you dont have any reason to complain about it... 

besides that the solution is easy.. open the window or if its too cold out there open your rooms door I mean surely this is a troll topic forcing people to elaborate on trivial stuff :P 

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

You have to cool the air before it leaves you’re case, which means moving more air. I would look at the top end of things for fans, or maybe some industrials and a fan controller. Which is what I ended up doing. It may not be the quietest, but it pretty much blows most of the consumer stuff away.

That's not how it works, doesn't matter how much air you move, you still dump the same amount of heat into the room.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

You have to cool the air before it leaves you’re case, which means moving more air. I would look at the top end of things for fans, or maybe some industrials and a fan controller. Which is what I ended up doing. It may not be the quietest, but it pretty much blows most of the consumer stuff away.

Sorry, but this makes no sense...

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

I have the opposite problem. I have moved most of my computers in an office I built in the basement. Doesn't matter how many and how hard I run them there is no way to heat that space up.  Even when it is 100f+ outside that basement will be 68f at most (which is nice), but come winter when the ground freezes it will drop to 48f until I blast a heater down there for 3 hrw to get it into the 60s

On 3/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, Enderman said:

Temperature and heat output are not the same thing.

A fair few people don't understand that. They didn't like me saying that my HD7970 (now relegated to spare components) noticeably warmed my room.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

I have the opposite problem. I have moved most of my computers in an office I built in the basement. Doesn't matter how many and how hard I run them there is no way to heat that space up.  Even when it is 100f+ outside that basement will be 68f at most (which is nice), but come winter when the ground freezes it will drop to 48f until I blast a heater down there for 3 hrw to get it into the 60s

Insulation?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:49 PM, Tsuki said:

the better your cooling system, the colder the computer is, and the warmer the room gets

As mentioned, that's not how that works. 

The heat output is determined by power draw. Component temperature is dependent on how quickly the heat is removed but better cooling doesn't change the amount of heat.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

OP, I'd just think of your pc as a heat source and your room a confined space. The physics is kinda unforgiving, so you're left with a couple of practical options.
Ventilating your room - A passive vent high up would be my go to if possible, but even just drilling a hole low down  somewhere and one high up would do, and would be easy to plug/repair.
Directly extracting the heat from the source - Getting creative with some ducting, a custom shroud and maybe an inline fan, but you still need somewhere to let the air out.
You could also cool the air, but it's costly and not going to be good for the air in your room at all... I'd try and use it as an excuse/motivation to give your room a means of adjustable ventilation, it'd be a big improvement to your environment, PC aside.

my room is always above 30°C, gaming that goes up rapidly.

my solution was to install an AC. :D

On 3/4/2020 at 11:05 PM, freeagent said:

Image result for that is not how this works

7 minutes ago, Danioki said:

my room is always above 30°C, gaming that goes up rapidly.

my solution was to install an AC. :D

There is a reason when I was house sitting for one of my family members during a winter, I decided to do a bit of F@H. My "for-shits-and-giggles" Xeon X5450 @ 4.2GHz, plus GTX 970 and GTX 650ti 2GB running for a couple of hours with the door close really warmed the room up. That Xeon BTW drew as much if not more power than the 650ti.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Insulation?

The walls already have insulation. It is just a by product of living somewhere that temps can hit -30+ below zero.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:33 AM, papajo said:

5 degrees difference on his room? even if those are Celsius that's like hard for a human to tell the difference or atelast the difference is so minuscule that you dont have any reason to complain about it... 

besides that the solution is easy.. open the window or if its too cold out there open your rooms door I mean surely this is a troll topic forcing people to elaborate on trivial stuff :P 

Depending on the temps a person would easily notice it.

25c is 77f

30c is  86f

I can easily tell the difference between 77f and 86f.

10 degrees id say most people could tell the difference.

I converted to f because im in that states lol.

21 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Depending on the temps a person would easily notice it.

25c is 77f

30c is  86f

I can easily tell the difference between 77f and 86f.

10 degrees id say most people could tell the difference.

I converted to f because im in that states lol.

I meant that its not a noticeable issue. 

if you are a test subject and the climate changes 5 degrees in a few seconds and you are being asked if you noticed any change you would say yes...

But you cant possibly go in a room and know that the temperature is precisely 25 or 30 without looking at a thermometer or something. Those kind of fluctuations happen all the time when you are outside in a sunny day for example and you are not "oh now its hotter oh now its colder" you just perceive it as the same. 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

I meant that its not a noticeable issue. 

if you are a test subject and the climate changes 5 degrees in a few seconds and you are being asked if you noticed any change you would say yes...

But you cant possibly go in a room and know that the temperature is precisely 25 or 30 without looking at a thermometer or something. Those kind of fluctuations happen all the time when you are outside in a sunny day for example and you are not "oh now its hotter oh now its colder" you just perceive it as the same. 

I think thats just you bud. You might not notice it but id be willing to bet most people would notice a change in 10 degrees f.

10 degrees f can easily be the difference between going out in a shirt or going out with a jacket and vice versa.

My office shares a wall with the water heater. It causes the temps in there yo be hotter then other rooms.

There been plenty of times ive been barefoot and comfy in my office and then go to the bathroom and right away feel like i need socks on.

5 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I think thats just you bud. You might not notice it but id be willing to bet most people would notice a change in 10 degrees f.

So you can tell now what exactly the room temperature on your room is without knowing what's the setting on your thermostat? (and even those are not precise so maybe use a thermometer to recheck) 

And you are also telling that as you go for a walk you are constantly thinking about the 5 degree fluctuations that happen instead of just not pay attention to them ? 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

So you can tell now what exactly the room temperature on your room is without knowing what's the setting on your thermostat? (and even those are not precise so maybe use a thermometer to recheck) 

And you are also telling that as you go for a walk you are constantly thinking about the 5 degree fluctuations that happen instead of just not pay attention to them ? 

No im not saying I can tell you what the exact temp is. Thats not important.

What im saying is I can tell when a room is 10 degrees f hotter then another room.

There plenty of times I have been out and about and the temp dropped 10 degrees and i felt it. Its why alot of people will keep a hoodie in their car.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:33 AM, papajo said:

I think this is a kind of meta troll post to make bedazzle people and make them post whatever and keep it going without reason.

A couple degrees can be the difference between unbearable and bearable when the room temp is 80-85 degrees f

Source: room used to be hotter then hell in the summer due to unfortunate positioning facing the sun and bad vent runs.

16 minutes ago, Killing-time-itself said:

A couple degrees can be the difference between unbearable and bearable when the room temp is 80-85 degrees f

Source: room used to be hotter then hell in the summer due to unfortunate positioning facing the sun and bad vent runs.

Dont feed the troll post (I know i do the same by replying to you thus this is my last reply in this topic) 

a) whatever thermal difference your computer adds to the table its a non issue open a window or the door of your room. That's even more of a non issue since whatever thermal difference the rig contributes to the room is not added instantly it takes time atleast a few couple of hours which makes it even more of a non issue because it means you dont have to open your window or door for too much just do it for a couple of minutes and you are good for the next few hours.

b) The higher the temperature in your house the harder it is for your rig to contribute to that because of "a)"  for example if the temperature outside is e.g 40F and your PC needs lets say 3 hours to add a temperature difference to your room then if the outside temperature is lets say 80F your PC needs even longer to add (assuming that usage stays the same) 

an average PC consumes under average loads about 150-300 watts out of the plug that's like nothing(especially if you take into account that not all of that wattage becomes thermal energy some is used to produce work) .. people buy 1000 watt mini space heaters to feel a little warm in their room if its like 40F or something and get disappointed afterwards and buy a 3000watts ones. 

20 minutes ago, papajo said:

Dont feed the troll post (I know i do the same by replying to you thus this is my last reply in this topic) 

a) whatever thermal difference your computer adds to the table its a non issue open a window or the door of your room. That's even more of a non issue since whatever thermal difference the rig contributes to the room is not added instantly it takes time atleast a few couple of hours which makes it even more of a non issue because it means you dont have to open your window or door for too much just do it for a couple of minutes and you are good for the next few hours.

b) The higher the temperature in your house the harder it is for your rig to contribute to that because of "a)"  for example if the temperature outside is e.g 40F and your PC needs lets say 3 hours to add a temperature difference to your room then if the outside temperature is lets say 80F your PC needs even longer to add (assuming that usage stays the same) 

an average PC consumes under average loads about 150-300 watts out of the plug that's like nothing(especially if you take into account that not all of that wattage becomes thermal energy some is used to produce work) .. people buy 1000 watt mini space heaters to feel a little warm in their room if its like 40F or something and get disappointed afterwards and buy a 3000watts ones. 

I can tell you've never used a PC for a day in a bedroom/office, nor owned a home.  Opening a door does not automagically produce airflow in a home.

A decent to high end PC can cause a room to be upwards of 10f warmer than other bedrooms/rooms, especially with how HVAC systems are routed and controlled.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 hours ago, papajo said:

None of what you are saying makes sense.

Hes already stated that doesnt have a window in his room.

Opening a door will help but depending on what hes doing it might not be the best option. Maybe the rest of the house is loud, maybe what hes doing in this room is loud.

Your whole argument seems to be that a pc cant heat up a room. It can. Without being physically in the room with his setup you cant say that hes trolling about being able to feel a temp difference. 

Also...if you need a 3000watt heater to heat up a room you have insulation issues. A 1000-1500 watt heater will turn a smaller room into an oven unless its poorly insulated and heat is escaping everywhere 

4 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

Opening a door does not automagically produce airflow in a home.

The moment you open the door heat will transfer at a much faster rate that if you close it... its simple physics... 

4 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

I can tell you've never used a PC for a day in a bedroom/office, nor owned a home.  Opening a door does not automagically produce airflow in a home.

A decent to high end PC can cause a room to be upwards of 10f warmer than other bedrooms/rooms, especially with how HVAC systems are routed and controlled.

50 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

That's because he is trolling he stopped responding like a few hours after his last and only response... he probably checks on here and laughs at the people that keep this topic still going... 

from here https://www.quora.com/How-much-energy-does-it-take-to-raise-the-temperature-of-an-average-room-by-10-degrees

People have calculated that in order to calculate how much time a 1000 watt space on a 3000cubic foot room (so a very small room) a heater needs to change the temperature of the room you have to calculate the time it needs for dry air to absorbe the heat (dry air was used, humid air would need more time as its heat absorption factor is 1.8  kJ/kgC instead of 1.006 kJ/kgC)  it needs ~18.6 minutes. 

Then you have to take into account the surfaces (walls ceiling etc) which they concluded needs about 3.2 hours and that is not talking into account the furniture. 

All those figures are for a small room and clean 1000watt energy output as where a computer would output upt to 10 times less than that ... or in other words it would need up to 10 times more hours to heat up the same room for 10 degrees. 

and that's also assuming the room is perfectly isolated from the outside world. 

And these are not random people they are people with more than 67k views and have college degrees... 

Plus I know from personal experience how hard it is for a 1500watt space heater to heat up a room and you just can go and check reviews for such heaters the buyers are just disappointed by the performance or saying that it does its job mentioning either that it just keeps out the chill or that their rooms are very small. 

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

None of what you are saying makes sense.

Opening a door will help but depending on what hes doing it might not be the best option. Maybe the rest of the house is loud, maybe what hes doing in this room is loud.

Your whole argument seems to be that a pc cant heat up a room. It can. Without being physically in the room with his setup you cant say that hes trolling about being able to feel a temp difference. 

Also...if you need a 3000watt heater to heat up a room you have insulation issues. A 1000-1500 watt heater will turn a smaller room into an oven unless its poorly insulated and heat is escaping everywhere 

I reiterate using the room controls for the heating system.  They’re primitive and inaccurate but they should be there.  Won’t help come summer though.  Such a unit would be illegal as a rental.  All bedrooms have to have two egresses and one is almost always a window

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:22 AM, papajo said:

Dont feed the troll post

It wasn't a troll post.

Edit: I'm a dummy dum didnt realize this was referring to an older post.

Edited by Killing-time-itself

On 3/10/2020 at 4:37 PM, papajo said:

The moment you open the door heat will transfer at a much faster rate that if you close it... its simple physics... 

That's because he is trolling he stopped responding like a few hours after his last and only response... he probably checks on here and laughs at the people that keep this topic still going... 

from here https://www.quora.com/How-much-energy-does-it-take-to-raise-the-temperature-of-an-average-room-by-10-degrees

People have calculated that in order to calculate how much time a 1000 watt space on a 3000cubic foot room (so a very small room) a heater needs to change the temperature of the room you have to calculate the time it needs for dry air to absorbe the heat (dry air was used, humid air would need more time as its heat absorption factor is 1.8  kJ/kgC instead of 1.006 kJ/kgC)  it needs ~18.6 minutes. 

Then you have to take into account the surfaces (walls ceiling etc) which they concluded needs about 3.2 hours and that is not talking into account the furniture. 

All those figures are for a small room and clean 1000watt energy output as where a computer would output upt to 10 times less than that ... or in other words it would need up to 10 times more hours to heat up the same room for 10 degrees. 

and that's also assuming the room is perfectly isolated from the outside world. 

And these are not random people they are people with more than 67k views and have college degrees... 

Plus I know from personal experience how hard it is for a 1500watt space heater to heat up a room and you just can go and check reviews for such heaters the buyers are just disappointed by the performance or saying that it does its job mentioning either that it just keeps out the chill or that their rooms are very small. 

Your personal experience doesnt really hold much weight.

Heaters are not made equally. You can buy a $12 1500 watt heater that sucks but you can also buy a $60 1500 watt heater that will burn you up.

The heater in my hunting cabin is 1500watts and if you leave it on all night you will wake up sweating.

3000 cubic feet i would def not consider a very small room. Its been over a decade since ive taken a math class but thats roughly an 18x18x10ft room. 

Point is...you dont know. You keep saying hes trolling based on no factual evidence or experience in his room.