My Parents Don't Like Gaming #2

otherworldlynob

I understand the last post was closed down after like 2 weeks and it's probably best not to continue it, but there have been a few small developments and I'm completely confused on what to do next.

So I decided to ask my dad if I could buy a gaming headset. My current headphones are trash and always hurt my ears, it's some weird $11 stuff I won from a raffle.
"How does this help your education? It's only for entertainment."
I said okay, but shouldn't you support your hobbies?
"You only have one"

Now it's basically "if it doesn't matter to your education, it doesn't matter"? 

I don't understand what to do at this point. It's not that I only have one hobby, I like reading and such but.. at this point I'm actually questioning hobbies themselves. What else can I do? I'm not very athletic and not really that interested in sports, but I think that might improve if I do try it out. I'm skilled in school and don't have any problems there.

I just want some honest-to-god opinions on what to do. Ask me whatever questions you'd like.View the last post here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1156222-my-parents-dont-like-gaming/

Find something new to do that's not video games or focusing on not being able to play them. People here won't be able to tell you what you should do for a hobby. Hobbies are done for fun. We won't know what's fun to you. 

I couldn't figure out how to directly quote from your last thread, but...

"

I'd like to point something out that might help you see your parent's view.. You say you won't spend all your time playing games, but how much time have you spent in here trying to get people to help you justify to your parents why they should let you play them? With the time spent in here, you could have been doing other things to prove to them that video games wont become an obsession. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your parents, but I can see where they are coming from. 

Edited February 21 by Voluspa
Grammar"

The headphones weren't an issue in the last thread. It looks like you are just looking for a reason to justify getting something "gaming" related.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Here's the reality of it. You're probably not going to be able to do whatever until you move out. I know, I know. It sucks, we've all been there.

If they don't "get it" they probably never well if it's not something they personally have interest in. Kinda like how Linus' kids can enjoy tech since that is his passion. 

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Here's the reality of it. You're probably not going to be able to do whatever until you move out. I know, I know. It sucks, we've all been there.

If they don't "get it" they probably never well if it's not something they personally have interest in. Kinda like how Linus' kids can enjoy tech since that is his passion. 

Linus is a good mom.

19 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Find something new to do that's not video games or focusing on not being able to play them. People here won't be able to tell you what you should do for a hobby. Hobbies are done for fun. We won't know what's fun to you. 

I couldn't figure out how to directly quote from your last thread, but...

"

I'd like to point something out that might help you see your parent's view.. You say you won't spend all your time playing games, but how much time have you spent in here trying to get people to help you justify to your parents why they should let you play them? With the time spent in here, you could have been doing other things to prove to them that video games wont become an obsession. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your parents, but I can see where they are coming from. 

Edited February 21 by Voluspa
Grammar"

The headphones weren't an issue in the last thread. It looks like you are just looking for a reason to justify getting something "gaming" related.

Honestly though, after thinking about hobbies, I have like zero idea. What am I supposed to do?

Like give me an example of what you, or maybe someone you know do. Just any suggestions help. Something unrelated to computers.

Just now, otherworldlynob said:

Honestly though, after thinking about hobbies, I have like zero idea. What am I supposed to do?

Like give me an example of what you, or maybe someone you know do. Just any suggestions help. Something unrelated to computers.

I fix vehicles, go for drives, I go shooting quite a bit at a local range. There's hunting depending on the season, home improvement(I do see that as a hobby. It's satisfying), off roading in one of my trucks. Camping, hiking.

Like I said, our hobbies probably won't apply to you.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I fix vehicles, go for drives, I go shooting quite a bit at a local range. There's hunting depending on the season, home improvement(I do see that as a hobby. It's satisfying), off roading in one of my trucks. Camping, hiking.

Like I said, our hobbies probably won't apply to you.

Yes, doesn't apply to me lol.

I actually feel for you, as I see gaming as a viable hobby and will absolutely support my future kids in in, to a limit that's healthy! 

Unfortunately some parents just don't see the social, and physical benefit to gaming, (co-ordination, problem solving, reflex training) and focus on the negative. Afraid it's probably not something forum posters are going to have influence on but you'll appreciate it more when you do move out! 

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

truth of the matter is, there are only 2 things that will change your current situation.

1: wait until your an adult, get a job, and move the fuck out.

or

2: a family friend of theres talks to them on your behalf and convinces them for you.

your parents arent going to budge, period.

you can work around this a bit though.  your headphones are crap? dont ask for "gaming headphones"  ask for a good quality pair of headphones so you can listen to music. need a better computer? dont ask for a gaming computer. ask for something a bit better so you can be more efficient with your homework, and maybe get into another hobby like photo/video editing which would require better specs.

find ways to explain things in a way that DOES further your education

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

* Thread locked *

The previous thread was locked, posting it again isn't allowed.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !