amd or nvida

Miketheboss224
Go to solution Solved by Ralf,

I would avoid AMD cuz the drivers arent that great for 5700/5700XT. But for the price of that 1660Ti Strix you can get a 2060S or even a 2070S.

so i was planing to go with a 1660 ti strix for my gpu to pair with my ryzen 7 2700x but my frined sudgested i go with a amd gpu im wanting some more input on this because i dont know a lot about AMD gpu's and if i should go for a AMD gpu witch one should i go for?

I would avoid AMD cuz the drivers arent that great for 5700/5700XT. But for the price of that 1660Ti Strix you can get a 2060S or even a 2070S.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

4 minutes ago, Miketheboss224 said:

so i was planing to go with a 1660 ti strix for my gpu to pair with my ryzen 7 2700x but my frined sudgested i go with a amd gpu im wanting some more input on this because i dont know a lot about AMD gpu's and if i should go for a AMD gpu witch one should i go for?

So the 1660ti is currently $390 online:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Overclocked-Auto-extreme-Graphics-STRIX-GTX1660TI-O6G-GAMING/dp/B07NHQ5HNW

For the same price, you can get a 5700XT from Powercolor:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/68MTwP/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-raw-ii-video-card-rx-57xt8off6

According to userbenchmark, the 5700XT is soooo much better. AMD has gotten a lot better with GPUs recently, and they are definitely something to go for. Also, your Ryzen CPU will probably work better with an AMD GPU. I have an RX570, and im more than happy with the performance.

Note: Here is a list of AMD GPUs for the same price if you don't like XFX. Not all of them are 5700XTs, but they are all $390 and below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#X=0,39087&c=391,431,445,444&sort=-price&page=1

i like trains 🙂

3 minutes ago, Ralf said:

i heard in jays video about the 5600XT that when evga made there 2060 ko that amd upgraded the bios for more power draw and it caused over heating on some of the cards that did not have as good of a cooler as the one he has is that something thats hapining with all there cards?

Like @Ralf said the AMD GPUs seem to have some more driver issues compared to their Nvidia counterparts. But they do clearly offer more performance per dollar. As an owner of a Power Color 5700xt, I could easily recommend it. I've had some bugs with their Adrenaline software (the equivalent to Nvidia GeForce Experience), but for the most part that has had 0 affect on my ability to run games.

58 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

So the 1660ti is currently $390 online:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Overclocked-Auto-extreme-Graphics-STRIX-GTX1660TI-O6G-GAMING/dp/B07NHQ5HNW

For the same price, you can get a 5700XT from Powercolor:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/68MTwP/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-raw-ii-video-card-rx-57xt8off6

According to userbenchmark, the 5700XT is soooo much better. AMD has gotten a lot better with GPUs recently, and they are definitely something to go for. Also, your Ryzen CPU will probably work better with an AMD GPU. I have an RX570, and im more than happy with the performance.

Note: Here is a list of AMD GPUs for the same price if you don't like XFX. Not all of them are 5700XTs, but they are all $390 and below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#X=0,39087&c=391,431,445,444&sort=-price&page=1

Says $432 for me. Isn't the RAW bad? I don't like userbechmark but it says that the 2060S is better that the 5700XT for the same price.

You can't really says that if the RX570 is good, the RX5700XT must be good too..

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

8 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Says $432 for me. Isn't the RAW bad? I don't like userbechmark but it says that the 2060S is better that the 5700XT for the same price.

You can't really says that if the RX570 is good, the RX5700XT must be good too..

I can say with almost 100% certainty the 2060S is not better than the 5700xt in almost anyway, The 5700xt outperformed the 2070s in some gaming benchmarks (although only a few), but in general it easily trades blows with the 2070s

3 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I can say with almost 100% certainty the 2060S is not better than the 5700xt in almost anyway, The 5700xt outperformed the 2070s in some gaming benchmarks (although only a few), but in general it easily trades blows with the 2070s

5700 XT is quite a bit below the 2070 Super at 1440p in Techpowerup's testsuite

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

24 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

Once they get the drivers sorted out then I can go back to recommending the 5700XT, but stability matters.   It's been 8 months and people are still having lots of problems.  When recommending for other people, don't suggest something that's likely to give them headaches.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

so from what ive gatherd from what yall are saying i should go for the 2070 super

2 hours ago, pierom_qwerty said:

Also, your Ryzen CPU will probably work better with an AMD GPU.

image.jpeg.53dcfd98aa3f874c1a2a11b3e5e87a6a.jpeg

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

image.jpeg.53dcfd98aa3f874c1a2a11b3e5e87a6a.jpeg

ngl kinda an assumption lol, just AMD + AMD = bettar idk lol

i like trains 🙂

18 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Once they get the drivers sorted out then I can go back to recommending the 5700XT, but stability matters.   It's been 8 months and people are still having lots of problems.  When recommending for other people, don't suggest something that's likely to give them headaches.

I have a 5700xt, and yes there are definitely complaints about the drivers, I think most people are aware of that. However plenty of people I've spoken to here have not had issues. I have had one or two bugs with the adrenaline software, but that has had no effect on the cards ability to run games. I've also seen plenty of threads regarding the issue on this forum with people explaining that a lot of the "driver" issues people have been running into are more related to bios and chipset driver issues (in fact I had a major issue when i first got my 5700 that was solved by updating my bios). 

so would the 2070 super be better at gameing and streaming and a bit of light video editing

2 minutes ago, Miketheboss224 said:

so would the 2070 super be better at gameing and streaming and a bit of light video editing

In general, they are pretty close. On average the 2070s can squeeze a little more performance out of most games, that's for sure. In my case specifically, a 2070s was at least $80-100 more, and for that much money the slight performance gains were definitely not worth it, so i took a chance with the drivers.

13 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I have a 5700xt, and yes there are definitely complaints about the drivers, I think most people are aware of that. However plenty of people I've spoken to here have not had issues. I have had one or two bugs with the adrenaline software, but that has had no effect on the cards ability to run games. I've also seen plenty of threads regarding the issue on this forum with people explaining that a lot of the "driver" issues people have been running into are more related to bios and chipset driver issues (in fact I had a major issue when i first got my 5700 that was solved by updating my bios). 

Even if only 5% of people were having problems, that's way too much. And polls suggest it's much higher.

I recommended the 5700 and 5700XT for awhile, because I assumed the problems would get fixed quickly. There's no end in sight though.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

5700 XT is quite a bit below the 2070 Super at 1440p in Techpowerup's testsuite

Yeah it's definitely no secret that on average the 2070s is a faster card. But a while ago when hardware unboxed did their gaming benchmarks and directly compared the two cards, I was surprised with how close they really were. And even in some games (like battlefield V) the 5700xt was faster than the 2070 (at 1440p the 5700 averaged 112fps and the 2070s averaged 103). And it seemed like for most of their games they were both within just a couple percent of each other, which like I mentioned wasn't worth the additional $100+ price tag for me.

Of course that's not to mention other benefits of the 2070 like raytracing, but I just wasn't ready to buy into that technology so early.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Even if only 5% of people were having problems, that's way too much. And polls suggest it's much higher.

I recommended the 5700 and 5700XT for awhile, because I assumed the problems would get fixed quickly. There's no end in sight though.

The problem with that poll was it did not specify a time frame.  We all know there were tons of driver issues at release so even if there were zero problems right now, this instant, the poll would be corrupted by those people who are responding based on their experience with them from months and months ago.  A better poll would have been "How many people have had driver issues within the last 30 days?"  I would bet in that case, the numbers with problems would be not much bigger than people who have had issues with Nvidia.  Honestly this illustrates the problem with polls in general.  Most of the time they just don't have enough controls in place to make the data relevant and it is very easy to warp the data either intentionally or unintentionally depending how the question is asked.   

It is like asking, "how many people have ever lost a significant amount of money on the stock market"  If someone was in the market during the 2008 crash, they will likely answer yes, they lost a ton.  If they got into the market after the economy recovered they would like answer no, since the market has been returning 10-20% a year since the crash.  Both answers are right but result of the poll wouldn't really provide accurate information on current market conditions (the last two days of the market non-withstanding). This is how I kind of see the AMD driver situation.  How good are the drivers, now, this second, not how good have the drivers been since they released.  The poll doesn't take into account and remove peoples bad experiences from months ago to insure we are getting state of things.

I bought a xfx dd ultra rx5700 a month ago new on amazon for $299. I did have issues and it took me a while to figure it out. I had to update chipset drivers, I also had to run the older 19.11 drivers to get rid of issues I had. For me the issue was with the Adrenalin software. Once I got rid of that everything has been fine since. 

I flashed the 5700xt bios on it and got about 8% Avg performance increase. If I knew I would have the issues I did I would do it again. This card has been amazing at 1080p and I feel like this is the best card I’ve bought in this price range since the 8800gt many moons ago. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x