Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gol_D_Chris

What can I do with a PSU in iCUE?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello,

I have seen that some Corsair PSUs are compatible with iCUE, but what could I actually do with thise PSUs in iCUE?

1 minute ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

Hello,

If I remember what I read on Corsair website. You can switch from multiral to single rail, monitor temp, wattage and fan RPM. Only on the "i" series so AXi, HXi and RMi.

Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Spoiler

My computer

CPU : I7-8700k, All core 5.1GHz 1,285v, 4.9GHz uncore

CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U14S

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 MHz CL15

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2,5" + Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2

HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3,5" 5400RPM

Case : Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S Black 

PSU : Corsair HX Platinum 850W

Others : Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 top exhaust

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 front intake, x1 rear exhaust, x1 on the CPU cooler

Noctua NA-HC6 chromax.black on the CPU cooler

Not much interesting.

From the Corsair RMi manual:

image.png.6ea6c9965d0a500ab1cf5f4a1caa9cf6.png

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking off"

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Not much interesting.

From the Corsair RMi manual:

image.png.6ea6c9965d0a500ab1cf5f4a1caa9cf6.png

So it's basically a "Nice-to-have" thing, but absolutely not necessary

Just now, Gol_D_Chris said:

So it's basically a "Nice-to-have" thing, but absolutely not necessary

Exactly.

I have a Corsair RMx PSU and never had the inclination to adjust the fan speed (as it has a good curve on its own), thus I also trust it (with its default fan speed) to remain cool so I don't feel the need to check on the temperature.

Plus I am just not enough into my PC to have a need to switch from multi- to singlerail operation or vice versa.

The efficiency would be cool to see, but not really necessary either.

I wouldn't pay more for a PSU with those features, but if - for example - an RMX was the same price as an RMi, I wouldn't say no to it either.

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking off"

1 minute ago, Morco said:

exactly.

Well, I was deciding between the RM (2019, 92€) and RMx (2018, 113€) series when I found out about the iCUE compatible PSUs [RMi (2015, 136€)], but those 44€/23€ are probably to much just for a nice gimmick

4 minutes ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

Well, I was deciding between the RM (2019, 92€) and RMx (2018, 113€) series when I found out about the iCUE compatible PSUs [RMi (2015, 136€)], but those 44€/23€ are probably to much just for a nice gimmick

These PSU's will do  equally well, with the differences only being technicals and not impacting usage.

Technically in terms of PSU quality it's: RMi is best, then RMX then RM (2019). 

But that makes sense with the pricing too. The main advantage of the RMi is the switching from multi- to singlerail, but that is not something most people will have to worry about

I would want to know is single, strong rail really good idea. I have Seasonic Prime gold PSU and I'm using hotplug very often. When I had connected main drive and hotswap enclosure to the single cable, it freezes my system while new drive was plugged in (sometimes). Switching to separate cable solves that problem. I wonder if it's Seasonic problem or something that all PSU has. I always thought that single, strong power rail is the best idea, but I'm not sure about that anymore.