Skoda fabia 2002, no oil (dipstick) but no oil warning? wtf

Edgar R. Zakarian
Go to solution Solved by Anomnomnomaly,
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m doing it when I was told to by my mechanic.  I am only to add oil if it is below the minimum line.  The thing also gets its oil changed much more frequently now, and the weight of oil used was changed as well.  The car is on its last legs.  It’s worth barely more than it’s metal weight and needs to be junked.  I’m hoping to put that off till spring.

The problem with 'mechanics' is that it's not in their interests to tell you how to do things properly yourself.

As I said before, always check the oil when the engine is cold, even turning it over pumps oil up into the engine and leaves the level in the sump lower than it really is.  the minimum mark is exactly that... the absolute minimum you should have in the engine. You should never let it fall below that line... in fact you should keep it as close to the max level as possible at all times.  Get into the habit of doing weekly checks, take 10mins and go around and check tyre pressures (must also be done cold, as the air warms when driven and expands giving a false reading) and keep them a fraction above recommended... and if car is loaded, add about 4psi all round. Check all fluids, oils, washer, power steering, brake and clutch... and gearbox if it's an auto (which should be warmed up first). If the brake fluid has a green tinge to it, it's normally a sign of moisture in it, and it could do with a flush through. Check the water level in the radiator, and top of if needed and before winter, get it tested to make sure it's got enough antifreeze in it.  I'd also recommend doing the gearbox oil every 20k at least... especially on an auto... a knackered auto box is a car killer on anything over 10yrs old... Personally I can't stand them... less power, less reliable, fewer mpg's... they're not that common over here and 99% of people learn to drive in and own manual gearboxes... Auto's are for those that can't handle a manual... the older people and the disabled... and sometimes those that spend a lot of time on highways for work.

Also.. never use the manufacturer intervals for oil changes. The older the car, the more frequent you should change the oil... I tend to do mine every year regardless of miles done and I average about 6k a year in my main car, even less in my summer/weekend car.

If you're worried about oil burn, next time you take the car out for a run... when it's fully warmed up... give it a hard boot, not a gently acceleration... foot to the floor (when it's safe to do so of course) take the revs up high and keep an eye on the exhaust fumes... if you see smoke with a tinge of blue... Sure sign of burning oil. Most common issue is worn piston rings... but that doesn't mean you have to get them done... mild wear on a car with higher miles isn't uncommon and regular oil changes and checks is often all you really need on more modern cars.

And engine seems to work fine. But there's no oil inside the car when I check the dipstick. 
If i open the lid on the engine, I can see some oil residue though.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

It's running fine now but after a bit of time your engine will just shut off since the engine seized. Put oil in that engine unless you want a new car.

Yeah definitely doing that. Not starting the car again before I get some oil. But really weird that I got no warning light. Worries me a bit. 
Plus it's never used any oil before. So for it to get worn that fast and that much is a bit strange. (thinking piston rings, right?)

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Just now, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Yeah definitely doing that. Not starting the car again before I get some oil. But really weird that I got no warning light. Worries me a bit. 
Plus it's never used any oil before. So for it to get worn that fast and that much is a bit strange. (thinking piston rings, right?)

Maybe the oil pressure sensor is out? Can you see if there is leaking somewhere? 

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Maybe the oil pressure sensor is out? Can you see if there is leaking somewhere? 

oil pool below the car? Didn't notice any, but will definitely check. 
Engine has a plastic shield, so couldn't really see that ,but nothing obvious.

Just now, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

oil pool below the car? Didn't notice any, but will definitely check. 
Engine has a plastic shield, so couldn't really see that ,but nothing obvious.

I would do an oil and filter change, and monitor oil level to see if you are burning oil. Hopefully it's nothing too bad.

Oil warning lights are notorious for only turning on at last resort if it does at all, aka it's pretty much dry, and that's why you should check manually regularly...

you likely still have some oil left, below the stick but not low enough to trigger the sensor.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I would do an oil and filter change, and monitor oil level to see if you are burning oil. Hopefully it's nothing too bad.

Yeah I did that last january. So it's time. But still weird.

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Oil warning lights are notorious for only turning on at last resort if it does at all, aka it's pretty much dry, and that's why you should check manually regularly...

you likely still have some oil left, below the stick but not low enough to trigger the sensor.

Really good to know. Thanks. 
I'll fill it up with some good Mobil 1 oil and monitor it once every two weeks and see what's going on. Or maybe once a month. 
It's really a lot of oil gone.

My car burns oil and I am under orders to check the oil every time I fill the tank

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Probably doesn't have a low oil level sensor. My 2004 Audi is the only car that I've dealt with that does.

It will however have an oil pressure light, that will turn on if oil isn't getting through the oil pump.(unless the light is burnt out)

If that light comes on, pull over asap and put oil in.

If you know the oil is low now, put oil in it before driving it. Going on hills or turns may cause the pump not not pickup oil and may cause the pressure light to come on.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My car burns oil and I am under orders to check the oil every time I fill the tank

Jesus christ dude :| I hope I'm not in that situation. 
I'll need to buy a 20L barrel to drive around xD

28 minutes ago, t0wer said:

Probably doesn't have a low oil level sensor. My 2004 Audi is the only car that I've dealt with that does.

It will however have an oil pressure light, that will turn on if oil isn't getting through the oil pump.(unless the light is burnt out)

If that light comes on, pull over asap and put oil in.

If you know the oil is low now, put oil in it before driving it. Going on hills or turns may cause the pump not not pickup oil and may cause the pressure light to come on.

You're completely correct. That's what I intend to do. 
But before I drive it over to fill up the oil (buy the oil), I think I might have some 2-stroke oil. Think that'll hurt the car 80km/h for like 40 km? 
That's how far I am from the nearest shop currently. Just wanna fill like 100-200 mL until I buy the new oil and replace it. 

Don't know if there's a big difference between 2-stroke& 4-stroke(normal oil)

okay, so apparently NO, not short term anyway:

There are MAJOR differences between 2 strokes and 4 stroke engines. DO NOT USE METHODS USED FOR OILING 2 STROKES ON 4 STROKE ENGINES. You add engine oil to your engine, not your fuel tank. Your car uses a synthetic oil, synthetic oil does not burn. Check your oil while car is parked on a flat surface, while engine is cold. DO NOT run your car if you dont even see oil mark on dipstick. Only use appropriate oil for your engine.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Your warning light will be a pressure warning, not level. You *should* be OK so long as there is oil pressure, however the oil also cools the internals of the engine so not having that volume of oil in the sump to transfer heat away isn't ideal. You may also loose pressure under braking or cornering as the oil sloshes away from the pickup.

Thanks for all the input guys. 
Seems like the car might've burnt the oil. 

Cons: Engine might be getting worn, only 180.000 km :( 
Pros: I won't have to change the oil anymore, just fill it hahaha

36 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Thanks for all the input guys. 
Seems like the car might've burnt the oil. 

Cons: Engine might be getting worn, only 180.000 km :( 
Pros: I won't have to change the oil anymore, just fill it hahaha

It still may need  to be changed occasionally.  Depends on how the oil is disappearing

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Yeah I did that last january. So it's time. But still weird.

Just as an aside to this conversation, even if you don't drive enough distance to warrant an oil change in a year, if you live in an area with seasonal climates, you should change your oil for every season (so, change it to winter oil in fall, and summer oil in spring) or every six months, at minimum.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Just as an aside to this conversation, even if you don't drive enough distance to warrant an oil change in a year, if you live in an area with seasonal climates, you should change your oil for every season (so, change it to winter oil in fall, and summer oil in spring) or every six months, at minimum.

Our climate goes from +5c to +30c total lately xD that's really a pretty small span. Haven't had snow for more than a week the last 2 years. 

On 1/17/2020 at 3:26 PM, Bombastinator said:

I hope you are checking the oil before you start the car at all... and not after you've driven it to the pumps... because that's a sure fire way to overfill the oil which can cause as many issues as letting it run low.

Oil must be checked when the engine is cold and has been standing for a few hrs after being last driven, it also needs to be on the flat/level.

Autobox oil on the other hand, should always be checked when the car is warmed up properly.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

3 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I hope you are checking the oil before you start the car at all... and not after you've driven it to the pumps... because that's a sure fire way to overfill the oil which can cause as many issues as letting it run low.

Oil must be checked when the engine is cold and has been standing for a few hrs after being last driven, it also needs to be on the flat/level.

Autobox oil on the other hand, should always be checked when the car is warmed up properly.

I’m doing it when I was told to by my mechanic.  I am only to add oil if it is below the minimum line.  The thing also gets its oil changed much more frequently now, and the weight of oil used was changed as well.  The car is on its last legs.  It’s worth barely more than it’s metal weight and needs to be junked.  I’m hoping to put that off till spring.

A friend of mine had a Subaru once. It got 200 miles per gallon... of oil. We called it Smokey.

Anyway, it's not surprising for a car to start burning a little oil after 100K miles (~160K km). Just need to check the level regularly and fill it up as needed. And just because the dipstick doesn't get any oil on it doesn't mean there's no oil in the pan; the dipstick doesn't necessarily go all the way down. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem with 'mechanics' is that it's not in their interests to tell you how to do things properly yourself.

As I said before, always check the oil when the engine is cold, even turning it over pumps oil up into the engine and leaves the level in the sump lower than it really is.  the minimum mark is exactly that... the absolute minimum you should have in the engine. You should never let it fall below that line... in fact you should keep it as close to the max level as possible at all times.  Get into the habit of doing weekly checks, take 10mins and go around and check tyre pressures (must also be done cold, as the air warms when driven and expands giving a false reading) and keep them a fraction above recommended... and if car is loaded, add about 4psi all round. Check all fluids, oils, washer, power steering, brake and clutch... and gearbox if it's an auto (which should be warmed up first). If the brake fluid has a green tinge to it, it's normally a sign of moisture in it, and it could do with a flush through. Check the water level in the radiator, and top of if needed and before winter, get it tested to make sure it's got enough antifreeze in it.  I'd also recommend doing the gearbox oil every 20k at least... especially on an auto... a knackered auto box is a car killer on anything over 10yrs old... Personally I can't stand them... less power, less reliable, fewer mpg's... they're not that common over here and 99% of people learn to drive in and own manual gearboxes... Auto's are for those that can't handle a manual... the older people and the disabled... and sometimes those that spend a lot of time on highways for work.

Also.. never use the manufacturer intervals for oil changes. The older the car, the more frequent you should change the oil... I tend to do mine every year regardless of miles done and I average about 6k a year in my main car, even less in my summer/weekend car.

If you're worried about oil burn, next time you take the car out for a run... when it's fully warmed up... give it a hard boot, not a gently acceleration... foot to the floor (when it's safe to do so of course) take the revs up high and keep an eye on the exhaust fumes... if you see smoke with a tinge of blue... Sure sign of burning oil. Most common issue is worn piston rings... but that doesn't mean you have to get them done... mild wear on a car with higher miles isn't uncommon and regular oil changes and checks is often all you really need on more modern cars.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.