Another ASUS RMA support horror story (PG27UQ)

masteve

I had to share what has been happening over the past month or so.

I had my PG227UQ for 8 months when the fan started to get not just loud but would change its RPM from loud to very loud (think of a mini hair dryer being turned to high setting then low) every 30 seconds. Now a fan noise is livable but an alternating fan noise is outright audio stress. So i started my RMA process....

The first RMA started out well, I received what looked like a brand new monitor apart from it was clear that this had been at least turned on once (as expected for a RMA), the stand packaging was opened the monitor bag cover was also open. I turned the screen on to find a dead pixel 1 inch from the right side bottom:

https://i.imgur.com/gWEfcCk.jpg

This was the first red flag, it was obvious if you put two and two together that this was someone's monitor they had sent back due to a dead pixel and instead of ASUS fixing it they just sent it out as a RMA replacement.

So i ask for another RMA (no way im looking at a dead pixel on a $2000 screen when my old one didn't have one) they agreed to another rma.

Now every screen I sent them back had the original packaging, original retail box etc. This is what i got sent back as my second rma :

The box it came in
https://i.imgur.com/cdYseqC.jpg

The state of the packaging inside

https://i.imgur.com/R96o8HO.jpg

The state of the screen

https://i.imgur.com/UQXuk0V.png

I was quite shocked that they would send something out like this and the monitor as you can see from the last picture was clearly dirty, so obviously it's one else's old screen as to be expected as its a RMA. But what you don't expect from an RMA is that they haven't fixed the old issues they have had from other people. Yep when I turned this monitor on it had a loud fan even worse than my original RMA, so again we start the RMA process,  which leads to today.

The assholes over there send me a monitor in a tiny box covered in bubble wrap?? , no protective styrofoam nothing and of course the monitor was broken  :

https://i.imgur.com/G6uKUC4.png

All the packaging it had
https://i.imgur.com/9Qfx8oX.png

As you can see there is a huge crack in the frame of the monitor (I recorded me checking the state of the delivery) , it's a good job i checked this before the delivery driver left so I could refuse to take this in this state.

Its quite clear now there is no quality controll over at asus RMA, they are sending out defective screens as a replcement hoping people dont give a fuck about it. I heard horror stories before but I did not believe this shit was that bad. How can they ship out a monitor wrapped in bubble wrap in a cardboard box and nothing else? Its utterly insane what the hell is going on over there! .I think it's time I fight for a full refund and stay away from asus shit for life ><

Thanks for reading I hope you guys never experience this!

Would have been nice to have the text be white so people (like me) who's using dark mode can read it :) 

Edited by Uptivuptiz
Thank you for making text white :)

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Would have been nice to have the text be white so people (like me) who's using dark mode can read it :) 

Sorry, I just set the text color to automatic I dont know if that helps first time posting here :)

Just now, masteve said:

Sorry, I set the text color to automatic I dont know if that helps first time posting here :)

It's all good :)

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damn sorry to hear that. Had a similar experience with Asus back in 2013: https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-graphics-cards-general/1410317-pretty-tired-asus-rma.html

Same story as yours - bad packaging

Long story short. I gave up after spending months. Asus claimed that it wasn't their fault.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Damn sorry to hear that. Had a similar experience with Asus back in 2013: https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-graphics-cards-general/1410317-pretty-tired-asus-rma.html

Same story as yours - bad packaging

Long story short. I gave up after spending months. Asus claimed that it wasn't their fault.

So fucking glad I checked it at the door when I saw the state of the box holyshit ><

1 minute ago, masteve said:

So fucking glad I checked it at the door when I saw the state of the box holyshit ><

Glad you did. I didn't beacuse they shipped it in the same outside box as I send it in. And no damage on the box either. I'm pretty sure it was dead even before shipment, but I had no way to proof it.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

36 minutes ago, masteve said:

Its quite clear now there is no quality controll over at asus RMA, they are sending out defective screens as a replcement hoping people dont give a fuck about it

Ha yep, I almost feel like their RMA department is automated based on really simple criteria. I sent in my Z97-AR and got back a P67 board, and an ITX board no less. I sent it in like 3 times to get my actual board back.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

That's disgusting customer service. I'm hoping you paid with a credit card for the purchase, then if Asus give you trouble over this, then contact the credit card company and get them to chase them for a refund.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

That's disgusting customer service. I'm hoping you paid with a credit card for the purchase, then if Asus give you trouble over this, then contact the credit card company and get them to chase them for a refund.

Got it on intrest free credit ><, contacted support they wanted the video I took of the delivery, now waiting on a reply :/

Asus warranty/RMA support has always been utter trash. I gave up on them long ago.

Good products if they work, but if you have any issues, you're better off just trashing the product and buying a new one to avoid the months of headaches. They truly give zero damn about their customers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I had no luck whatsoever getting in contact with Asus support several years back when I first got my 3930k on an X79 Sabertooth board. Ended up returning for a full refund to Amazon. XFX and MSI, on the other hand... They're both horrific, to the tune of exactly what you're saying in regards to quality of "refurbished" parts. XFX were just not accepting that my GPUs and power supply were at all faulty, though I did manage to persuade them to RMA everything at least once to a somewhat working state. The PSU in particular came up with the same fault at least twice, possibly three times but the latest unit has survived several years now and is past its warranty.

As for MSI, I was getting issues on my 4790K, RAM or motherboard - I couldn't tell which and ended up RMAing all of them over time. Intel didn't question anything, just as soon as I said there's a possible fault, they accepted an RMA and gave me a working part back - I wasn't expecting this, it was just coming up for the end of its warranty and I wanted to let them know of the possible fault before the warranty period was up. Corsair replaced the RAM in a very similar fashion but I at least actually requested that be replaced. When neither of those fixed it, I went to MSI for a new board and managed to get a replacement... Except that it had an HDMI port glued off and seemed to have the same issue as the one I sent away as well. Next time they didn't have an exact swap so offered me an alternative which I begrudgingly accepted. It has four USB ports not working and not the same features I bought the original board for. I couldn't even be bothered to contact them again with the hassle I had so just accepted it and bought a USB hub and PCIe card.

TL;DR:

MSI and XFX are similarly useless. Couldn't even contact Asus support when I needed to (7 years ago).

I had an ASUS Prime Z-270 A board RMA.  A riser card cause my PCIe x1 slot to spark and cause damage including a faulty USB port in the back.  So they accepted the RMA because they solder it all wrong.   I put all the originally packaging + CPU protected cover in the socket.  Then a  few days they told me by email that the CPU Socket had bent pins and they would not accept the RMA.  Unless I paid them $99 dollars just get all fixed because they blame me for shipping damage.

Now my ASUS Prime Z-270A's having USB port issues.  They keep on corrupting USB flash drivers every time I upload a new version of Linux.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Holy hell, so many shitty RMA stories ><, They have escalated my case to see if I can now get a brand new monitor. We will see, I have no faith they will do that.

While I do enjoy their products, stories like these, especially in the volume they come, do make me consider steering away from their products and going somewhere else.

The fancy product just isn't worth it if it comes with a hefty price tag and countless hours if not days filled with headaches.

Thanks for sharing.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

Other than motherboards, i avoid their products. I have, in general, had great luck with their boards. My current ROG Zenith Extreme has been great and I HOPE nothing ever goes wrong with it. I would hate to deal with ASUS RMA department.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU: EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

On 1/9/2020 at 5:45 PM, Reytime said:

While I do enjoy their products, stories like these, especially in the volume they come, do make me consider steering away from their products and going somewhere else.

The fancy product just isn't worth it if it comes with a hefty price tag and countless hours if not days filled with headaches.

Thanks for sharing.

I also try to avoid the brands I've had poor experiences with - and tend to go towards the brands I have had good experiences with. For that reason, most of my stuff is Corsair and Logitech - Corsair are fantastic and Logitech I've only spoken to once but I had a minor (1-2% brake pedal reading at 0% position on G27) and they gave me a full G29 kit with gearstick. They never asked for the G27 back so I now have two wheels!

The downside to limiting yourself to decent companies is that you are limited in what you can buy. My current PC as an MSI board because Asus were horrible but my next PC can't have an Asus or MSI motherboard and that leaves me with a greatly reduced section of the market as they're two massive players.

Generally speaking its best to go through the Retailer 1st, that way replacements are brand new sealed boxed items.

Places like Amazon are fine dealing with things even outside of the usual retailer returns period.

Using manufacturers warranties via the retailer u bought it from can be a lot easier, as the retailer simply gives u a new item and they then send of the faulty one using their business dealing with the manufacturer, which is usually beyond reproach. The retailer sends the item to the manufacturer as faulty, the manufacturer then just credits the retailer.

I personally wouldn't accept a 'replacement' if its not brand new. of course if I send an item in to be repaired i expect it to be 'repaired' . if they send me a an obvious used replacement the 1st thing ill do, if its a bad replacement, is ask where my original item is and why it wasnt repaired as arranged.

I'd give them 1 chance to sort out the issue again and if they fail, i'd have demanded they abide by the agreement of 'repair' or just return of the original item, which they would likely fail to produce at which point i'd then start legal proceedings.

In effect , in that situations they have stolen the item as they have failed to abide by the agreement of 'repair' and are then refusing the return of the original product.

Obviously consumer rights and protections are different depending on ur country, in the UK they are pritty solid.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Last update, ASUS came through and sent me a brand spanking new monitor. For all the shit I had over the past month or so I rly happy now I have a brand new screen. Anyone reading this in the future, if RMA is fucking you around know your rights and demand a new product or refund.  ASUS honored there commitment to me to fix my problems, resulting in them fixing it with a brand new monitor. Thanks for your advice guys.