AMD Athlon 3000G

BeornBear

I am considering on building a low cost gaming PC with either AMD Athlon 3000G or AMD Ryzen 3 2200G. I am considering on complimenting the build with a low cost graphics card (unto $200 CDN). Would Geforce GTX 1050ti or Geforce GTX 1650 work well with either processor?! Will the AMD Athlon 3000G be suficient?! 

7 minutes ago, BeornBear said:

Would Geforce GTX 1050ti or Geforce GTX 1650 work well with either processor?!

They would both work perfectly.

Of course the real value is in a used RX 570 from eBay, since this is a budget system. I can't recommend a 1050 ti or 1650 simply because they're both outperformed at their price points.

8 minutes ago, BeornBear said:

Will the AMD Athlon 3000G be suficient?! 

Sufficient for what? Dual cores are borderline obsolete for gaming but that highly depends on what games you're playing.

Also if you post a full budget for the system we can make full system suggestions.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'd recommend spending 85$ on an Ryzen 1600 AF  , which is a rebranded Ryzen 2600 with slightly less overclocking potential (and way better than the old Ryzen 1600 which has AE in the code):

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 65W AM4 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (YD1600BBAFBOX)

You get 6 cores and 12 threads, very good deal.  Ryzen 3000g is still Ryzen 1st generation, while this 1600 AF would be Zen+, a bit better.

The Ryzens with integrated graphics have only pci-e x8 to the first pci-e x16 slot, so the performance of the graphics cards would be a bit reduced (not super big difference maybe just 1% or so)

Ryzen 3000g is worth only if you get it below around 60$ ,,, but even then... it's just 4 threads. Ryzen 1600 AF gets you 2 extra cores and 6 threads.

As for video cards, a RX 570 makes much more sense. You can buy them new for 130$ in US, but you should be able to get them used on eBay for 90-100$

It's better performance than GTX 1050

Make sure you combine it with a B450 chipset based board.

29 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What are you looking to spend overall?

There's no real reason to get a 3000G if you're planning on a dedicated GPU

Just look for a used Ryzen 4 core 8 thread CPU or better, R5 1400/1500X/2400G

And get an RX 470-580 used as well, going to have the best performance per dollar. it's like 50% faster than a 1050ti.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

46 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd recommend spending 85$ on an Ryzen 1600 AF  , which is a rebranded Ryzen 2600 with slightly less overclocking potential (and way better than the old Ryzen 1600 which has AE in the code):

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 65W AM4 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (YD1600BBAFBOX)

You get 6 cores and 12 threads, very good deal.  Ryzen 3000g is still Ryzen 1st generation, while this 1600 AF would be Zen+, a bit better.

The Ryzens with integrated graphics have only pci-e x8 to the first pci-e x16 slot, so the performance of the graphics cards would be a bit reduced (not super big difference maybe just 1% or so)

Ryzen 3000g is worth only if you get it below around 60$ ,,, but even then... it's just 4 threads. Ryzen 1600 AF gets you 2 extra cores and 6 threads.

As for video cards, a RX 570 makes much more sense. You can buy them new for 130$ in US, but you should be able to get them used on eBay for 90-100$

It's better performance than GTX 1050

Make sure you combine it with a B450 chipset based board.

Yep, for $85 it's the best deal in desktop processors right now.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I am looking to spend approximately $500 CDN for the entire system. I am would like to have a budget gaming pc. I am contemplating AMD Athlon 3000G or AMD Ryzen 3 2200G due to the CPU price point. I would like to add 8 - 16 GB RAM, 500 Watt Power supply, 256 Kingston SSD, a cool case, and possible a DVD player. I have two Dell P2311H Monitors with sound bars, logitech gaming mouse and keyboard. I also have two extra WD 1 TB Sata 3.5" Harddrives which would be nice to use in the build. I might obtain Windows 10 or a Linux operating system. 

I currently use a Ciara Discover Intel i7-3770 at 3.40 GHZ on an Ivy Bridge motherboard with AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphics card, 256 GB RAM, 16 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM. As the computer is a bit old fashioned, I am considering on obtaining a new PC. However, my budget is limited. I prefer to use new parts than refurbished. 

Forget about the cool case and put the money where it matters, if you want to use it for gaming.

In 500 Canadian dollars you can do the configuration below

Note that in 500 canadian dollars you have to compromise at cpu... the 1200 won't be much faster than your current 3770, but gaming would be much better due to the video card.

Had to go with Ryzen 1200 to get as close as possible to the 500 CDN price. You may find locally Ryzen 1600 for less than 100 Canadian dollars -  if you do buy it. IF you can stretch your budget to a Ryzen 1600AF that's best price for performance at least in US, right now.

Same for a RX 570 or RX 580... people probably upgraded for Christmas, look at people selling stuff in your area.

Ryzen 1200 is more or less 2200g without integrated graphics. Not a great chip, won't overclock much, but it's still 4 cores. At least with the RX 570 you can game at 1080p ... with integrated graphics of 2200g or 3000g you're looking at 720p at best

If you're willing to take your chance on mail-in rebates, there's this motherboards with ~35$ off mail-in rebate at vuugo:

100$, 65$ after rebate : ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX Motherboard - Socket AM4 - AMD B450 Chipset :: https://www.vuugo.com/asrock-motherboards-B450M-PRO4.html

You can shave some 20-30$ by going with a single stick of 8 GB, and you can buy another later. Or go with 2 x 4 GB, the motherboard I selected has 4 slots, so you'll be able to put more later.

No optical drives on pc part picker ... add one, 10-20$ maybe ... but you don't need it. You can install Windows from usb sticks, you have internet etc etc

I'd suggest listing your current hardware (maybe as a cpu+mb+ram combo) to sell them for i don't know, 150-250 Canadian usd, or whatever a fair price would be... then you'd have the budget for at least a six core which would make the system more balanced... with a quad core you're almost limiting the video card's performance.

Or, another idea would be to buy a more powerful CPU now, and reuse your Radeon 6570 video card, until you have the budget for something more powerful

If you save those 180$ (canadian) you can shift 80$-ish of those to the cpu department and get something good, at  least a six core... and suck it up for a month or two until you can put aside the money for better video card.

This way you'd also afford a cooler case and maybe a m.2 nvme SSD instead of boring sata SSD.

I appreciated the feedback. Would an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G processor with Radeon Vega 8 graphics would be suitable to play games in case that I hold off on a dedicated GPU?! I still need to obtain Windows 10 and wish to remain close to my $500 CDN budget. 

The 2200g's integrated graphics is good enough for playing games at 720p  low-medium graphics. Games like DOTA, Rocket league etc will probably run at 1080p low-med at 30+ fps.

It's not a good idea to get it because it only has 8 pci-e lanes going to the pci-e x16 slot, the other 8 pci-e lanes are permanently locked to the integrated graphics. So, when you'll decide to use a separate video card, that video card would always run at pci-e x8.

If you can reuse the 6570 video card in your new system, it will more or less have the same performance with the integrated video card, if not a bit better in some games (just some of the newest games will like the Vega architecture a bit more, but most older games will work better on the 6570 even though it's older, due to that card having its own fast VRAM)

The Ryzen 1200 is 4 core 4 threads like the 2200g but doesn't have integrated graphics. I said it's not a great cpu because it's basically made out the dies that didn't quality to be used for 1500 (4c and hyperthreading) or 1600 (6c 12t) for various reasons like maybe too power hungry or some bits of cache memory being faulty.

So, the 1200 is by default on lower clocks like (3.1 ghz stock,  3.4 ghz boost) but you should still be able to overclock all cores to 3.7-3.8 ghz for an extra performance kick. The 2200g will run at 3.5 ghz stock, and will probably overclock a bit more to 3.8-4 ghz if you're lucky, but you'd still be chocked by the integrated graphics.

If you can reuse the graphics, I'd suggest going a step higher than 1200/2200 to a 1600 ... like I said, the 1600 AF should be around 85$ in US ... maybe try buying from Amazon.com instead of Canadian stores if the customs fees and shipping don't kill the deal?

1 hour ago, BeornBear said:

I appreciated the feedback. Would an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G processor with Radeon Vega 8 graphics would be suitable to play games in case that I hold off on a dedicated GPU?! I still need to obtain Windows 10 and wish to remain close to my $500 CDN budget. 

You can obtain windows 10 on games keys websites or ebay for 10$

16 hours ago, BeornBear said:

I currently use a Ciara Discover Intel i7-3770 at 3.40 GHZ on an Ivy Bridge motherboard with AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphics card, 256 GB RAM, 16 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM. As the computer is a bit old fashioned, I am considering on obtaining a new PC. However, my budget is limited. I prefer to use new parts than refurbished. 

The upgrade your gpu only until you can save more money for at least a ryzen 2600. Get a 1660 super and you should get double the frames you're getting now. Your i7 is still capable of pushing 100fps.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

The upgrade your gpu only until you can save more money for at least a ryzen 2600. Get a 1660 super and you should get double the frames you're getting now. Your i7 is still capable of pushing 100fps.

The 1660 super is still too expensive for the performance amount it gives.

The computer may be a small form factor one which only allows low profile video cards (not sure from what he described but the "ciara" website shows sff computers). Also, the power supply is an unknown, it could be a cheap OEM 300w power supply which won't handle well modern video cards.

OP can you give more details about actual hardware, what you plan to do with it etc what power supply it actually has (ideally say what its capable of, what does it say on the sticker, to know if it can be reused) 

Would be super if you could take some pictures of the PC with the panel off to see the insides.

• 2 weeks later...

Linus made a youtube video regarding the AMD Athlon 3000. However, only a single DDR4 RAM was used @2666 Mhz. Would it not run better with dual DDR4 3000 Mhz RAM (2 x 8 GB RAM) run better in games?! What type of fps would Nvidia 1650 Super graphics card along with 16 GB RAM?! 

22 minutes ago, BeornBear said:

AMD Athlon 3000

won't be better than your current i7 3770.

i'd get a new gpu to use with you current system for a while until you have money to upgrade to at least a ryzen 2600.

For now, get something like a used Vega 56. Upgrade your core platform later on. As 3770 is perfectly fine for gaming.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

On 1/5/2020 at 3:10 AM, BeornBear said:

Or just replace the gpu with, let's say 1660Ti, and save some money to get a proper upgrade later on with at least the 1600AF. Anything below isn't really worth upgrading or, considering the 3000g, a downgrade.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:51 AM, BeornBear said:

If you still have a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key, Windows 10 will still accept it for activation last I checked. So you may not have to spend money on an O.S.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

I have experience in refurbishing computers. However, my aim is to learn how to build a new computer. I am looking to build a budget PC. For this reason, I am looking at an AMD Athlon 3000g. I am looking for the best configuration for my budget of $500 CDN. I might consider other AMD cpus depending on price point.

It is very easy to upgrade a pc from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10. I do not have any Windows 7 or 8.1 keys. I might use Linux instead. 

11 hours ago, BeornBear said:

I have experience in refurbishing computers. However, my aim is to learn how to build a new computer. I am looking to build a budget PC. For this reason, I am looking at an AMD Athlon 3000g. I am looking for the best configuration for my budget of $500 CDN. I might consider other AMD cpus depending on price point.

It is very easy to upgrade a pc from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10. I do not have any Windows 7 or 8.1 keys. I might use Linux instead. 

as everyone is saying, the athlon 3000g is slower than your current 3770. but it doesn't seem to matter to you. 

12 hours ago, BeornBear said:

You do not get Windows 10 with just a new cpu, you can get a key (cheap) no matter what computer you have, even if it isn't suitable for Win10 (the I7 is). Budget system-building often involves the reuse of parts and getting parts 2nd-hand or refurbished is quite common.

Did you read the comments below the LTT video regarding the Athlon 3000g, or the thread here in the forum about the very video?

Maybe this helps to get some things straight: APU vs APU:

APU vs dedicated mix

I appreciate all of the feedback. My goal is build a Budget PC rather than building a faster computer systems that I already have. If I were to build a faster computer than my I7-3770, I will need to budget $1,500 Plus. I also have an Acer Veriton 6610G - i5 desktop computer with 16 GB DDR3 RAM and 250 GB SSD from Kingston. However, my budget remains close to the $500 for a new pc build. I am not interested in purchasing used parts.