How do you spell "data breach?" - Zynga data breach exposes 200 million Words with Friends players

SOURCES: 

https://www.cnet.com/news/words-with-friends-hack-reportedly-exposes-data-of-more-than-200m-players/

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3173791/stop-using-sha1-it-s-now-completely-unsafe.html

Another day, another large organisation suffers a massive data breach. This time it's our friends at Zynga.

A hacker name Gnosticplayers has taken responsibility saying they stole data from 218 million Words with Friends player accounts in September 2019.

Per CNET:

The hacker accessed a database that included data from Android and iOS players who installed the game before Sept. 2, according to the report.

Publisher Zynga did confirm there was a data breach of account login info for Draw Something and Words with Friends players on Sept. 12. The game company says law enforcement was notified and there is an ongoing investigation into the hack. On its support announcements page, Zynga says it took steps to protect accounts from invalid logins, and some users were required to change their passwords. 

Per HaveIBeenPwned:

In September 2019, game developer Zynga (the creator of Words with Friends) suffered a data breach. The incident exposed 173M unique email addresses alongside usernames and passwords stored as salted SHA-1 hashes.

HIBP also ranks the Zynga data breach in the top 10 largest data breaches it's come across. I'd recommend anyone who isn't using HaveIBeenPwned to start, it's a great way to learn about what data breaches are occuring across the world and if you are personally affected.

My Thoughts: I don't know what to say really. These types of breaches are becoming all too common place.  SHA-1 is an older standard of encryption and shouldn't be used nowadays. At least Zynga recommended 'some users...to change their passwords'. It seems like things are bound to get worse before they get better.

I should find the hackers. Maybe they can tell me my username and password I've long since forgotten.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I should find the hackers. Maybe they can tell me my username and password I've long since forgotten.

Well, when you look at it that way, they're doing a public service.

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I should find the hackers.

"I don't know who you are, but i know what i want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired through tons of forum posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my account details now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will get my account details back."

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

That news article is from 1st October. This has already been posted.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450