3D printer Question..... Ebay cheap filament bad??? I can get a 1KG Spool for £8 lol?

WolfLoverPro

15 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Most likely it comes out with relatively low quality, or it'll do things like, make it hard to print overhangs. Or maybe absorb moisture pretty fast.

In general though I'd buy clear filament, usually the most reliable, because there's no dye interfering with it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

As Streetguru stated cheap filament generally doesn't last as long and effects the print quality. I find amazon is a good place to get filament as it isn't to expensive and its generally pretty good.

What they don't tell you, is that the plastic spool on which the filament is wrapped around, weight 800 grams. ?‍♂️

They claim it's PLA, but since the quality of that type of filament can vary greatly... I wouldn't be surprised if this one was indeed just bad and overall brittle.

https://www.allthat3d.com/pla-filament/#How_To_Spot_the_Right_PLA_Filament_Where_To_Buy

Ideally you shouldn't buy on Ebay, since you cannot tell if other users who have bought it had a good experience with it or not. Amazon reviews, as bad as they can be sometimes, are still a good indication of whether or not a product is bad or not.... Just make give a discerning eye to the reviews to see if they are fake or not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

58 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Most likely it comes out with relatively low quality, or it'll do things like, make it hard to print overhangs. Or maybe absorb moisture pretty fast.

In general though I'd buy clear filament, usually the most reliable, because there's no dye interfering with it.

not really actually most of the more pricey filament are just imported and rebranded filament,

However you can find pla filament even for a lower price if you buy directly on alibaba, but the shippement times are awfull

1 hour ago, WolfLoverPro said:

I've purchased filament from that particular seller before, and haven't had an issue with it, print quality seems good (or as good as can be expected from my modded A8)

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

What they don't tell you, is that the plastic spool on which the filament is wrapped around, weight 800 grams. ?‍♂️

They claim it's PLA, but since the quality of that type of filament can vary greatly... I wouldn't be surprised if this one was indeed just bad and overall brittle.

https://www.allthat3d.com/pla-filament/#How_To_Spot_the_Right_PLA_Filament_Where_To_Buy

Ideally you shouldn't buy on Ebay, since you cannot tell if other users who have bought it had a good experience with it or not. Amazon reviews, as bad as they can be sometimes, are still a good indication of whether or not a product is bad or not.... Just make give a discerning eye to the reviews to see if they are fake or not.

This is indeed the case, but I went in knowing that, then emailed them saying it wasn't as described and was given a partial refund, even still 800g for that price is a bargain!

I've ordered a few rolls from them, the only issue I had was them sending me a roll of 3mm ABS instead of 1.75mm PLA, but I was given a refund and told to just keep it.

I'd personally rather buy from ebay than Amazon (unless it's fulfilled by Amazon, as that way you get Amazon customer service) as I've had better experience with Ebay's money back guarantee than with Amazons for third party sellers.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue