NH-D15 Compatibility checking

Solidsoul88

I want to upgrade to NH-D15 cooler and the website says it will hang over my first PCIe lane, will my second PCIe lane be as good? It says the second PCIe lane is "x16 PCH".

Processor: Intel Core i7 8700 Hex Core LGA 1151-2 3.20 GHz CPU Processor

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB 2133MHz

MotherBoard: ASUS ROG STRIX B360-G GAMING LGA 1151-2 mATX Motherboard

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Power Supply: Be Quiet! Pure Power 10 500W Power Supply

Case: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=669

Pictures:

Z0XZ9NK.png - PCIe lane overhang compatibility

yJCFppL.png - Mother Board

MJ0VMZQ.png - NH-D15 size

Bp2Bbmr.png - Ram size

It won't obstruct any PCIe slot. And Vengeance is low enough for it.

Though, why such a beefy cooler on a cpu you can't even overclock?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

just a quick suggestion, try to look at Deepcool Assassin III. apparently its slightly bit better than the NH D15. looks better too. though, idk about clearances.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

When my CPU is at max load it under clocks less than base... Also i don't want it to be at 90 Degrees playing games.

42 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

just a quick suggestion, try to look at Deepcool Assassin III. apparently its slightly bit better than the NH D15. looks better too. though, idk about clearances.

Ill have a look.

Just now, Solidsoul88 said:

When my CPU is at max load it under clocks less than base... Also i don't want it to be at 90 Degrees playing games.

What do you have for a cooler right now?

A D15 would be a pretty big waste on this kind of setup

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

GammaXX 400

Trash cooler

I really just want a cooler good enough to keep it below 70 Degrees

1 minute ago, Solidsoul88 said:

GammaXX 400

Trash cooler

Just now, Solidsoul88 said:

I really just want a cooler good enough to keep it below 70 Degrees

the gammaxx should absolutely get this done. Did you make sure the mounting is right? Ever repaste it?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Solidsoul88 said:

GammaXX 400

Trash cooler

It's a fine cooler. I think you just don't have it mounted correctly.

The Deepcool ASSASSIN III has 7 heat pipes compared to the NH-D15's 6

I'll try remount it, but i recently put arctic silver 5 on it. (Less than a week ago)

Could you link me a good video of someone mounting the GammaXX 400

32 minutes ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Could you link me a good video of someone mounting the GammaXX 400

The Gammaxx 400 should be plenty for cooling.

Are you using default motherboard settings? How are you stressing the cpu and what are your load temps?

FYI, you can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Gammaxx 400 should be plenty for cooling.

Are you using default motherboard settings? How are you stressing the cpu and what are your load temps?

FYI, you can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged.

I was asking about under volting before and posted all that info, ill link it. 

Look at bottom of that, there is default stress test (Prime95 Benchmark test) images.

3 minutes ago, Solidsoul88 said:

I was asking about under volting before and posted all that info, ill link it. 

Look at bottom of that, there is default stress test (Prime95 Benchmark test) images.

P95 is fairly heavy. Are you testing after reverting to default motherboard settings without using any other sort of tweaking software like XTU?

If you're going to do any tweaking, you should avoid programs in Windows when possible. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have only tweaked in XTU and only the voltage offset, but those images are labelled above. Look for Default voltage image temps.

I have an i7 8700 which is locked :/

14 minutes ago, Solidsoul88 said:

I have only tweaked in XTU and only the voltage offset, but those images are labelled above. Look for Default voltage image temps.

I have an i7 8700 which is locked :/

If you haven't already, test after reverting to default motherboard settings without using any other sort of tweaking software like XTU.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you haven't already, test after reverting to default motherboard settings without using any other sort of tweaking software like XTU.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ok so i decided to take everything out of my pc (ram, gpu, cpu, cooler), then i wiped thermal paste off and put new arctic silver 5 on and put everything back in making sure my cooler was making contact properly. I then ran the prime95 benchmark without XTU tweaks and took screenshots before, through out and after.

Here are results: (ALL HAVE TIME IN BOTTOM RIGHT)

iqRgE42.jpg

- BEFORE

2gv5fYJ.png

-DURING

ZTSdPpJ.png

-DURING

LaS0Kvq.png

-DURING

PrfpQR6.png  - AFTER

6 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Ok so i decided to take everything out of my pc (ram, gpu, cpu, cooler), then i wiped thermal paste off and put new arctic silver 5 on and put everything back in making sure my cooler was making contact properly. I then ran the prime95 benchmark without XTU tweaks and took screenshots before, through out and after.

Here are results: (ALL HAVE TIME IN BOTTOM RIGHT)

When I say without tweaking software like XTU, I mean that it shouldn't be running at all. 

So to break it down, 

1. Revert to default motherboard settings

2. Run the desired stress test of choice in Windows. There should be as few programs in the background running as possible but especially no tweaking programs like XTU. 

As mentioned P95 is rather heavy and will result in high temps when compared to most other stress tests. I personally use OCCT. 

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

When I say without tweaking software like XTU, I mean that it shouldn't be running at all. 

So to break it down, 

1. Revert to default motherboard settings

2. Run the desired stress test of choice in Windows. There should be as few programs in the background running as possible but especially no tweaking programs like XTU. 

As mentioned P95 is rather heavy and will result in high temps when compared to most other stress tests. I personally use OCCT. 

Here are results:

Before - 

BEFORE.thumb.png.382b65d394da24a2633f91f45036507f.png

1 Minute into test

1min.thumb.png.35ff1bbec100dd558deb6cc906e4e0db.png

3 Minutes into test

3min.thumb.png.922d5310b4beaea83dff51a9df67448f.png

Completed

completed.thumb.png.067473e17ea4c45f03fca6d199c17d96.png

2 Minutes AFTER

1315263123_2minAFTER.thumb.png.c5e04224df232d22096ae1262d4d45d3.png

7 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Here are results:

Did you revert to default motherboard settings?

The voltage is extremely high for stock. It should be closer to 1.2v if not lower and not the 1.42v displayed. 

On 11/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Did you revert to default motherboard settings?

The voltage is extremely high for stock. It should be closer to 1.2v if not lower and not the 1.42v displayed. 

Yea, its stock...

4 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Yea, its stock...

Check and see if there's a setting called Multicore Enhancement enabled. It's effectively an auto-oc that generally uses more voltage than necessary and may be the cause of your high voltage and temps. Make sure it's disabled and see if temps improve.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:50 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Check and see if there's a setting called Multicore Enhancement enabled. It's effectively an auto-oc that generally uses more voltage than necessary and may be the cause of your high voltage and temps. Make sure it's disabled and see if temps improve.

So i found this setting in my uefi bios called CPU Power Enhancement, which was ENABLED BY DEFAULT. 

1052440224_UEFIBIOS.thumb.jpg.1ebdcb7778ce712f1d4a777620058193.jpg

Here is the test with this turned off:

Before:

1752390169_1.Before.thumb.png.2c91921c98dd762ac01475907457f677.png

After 1 Min:

691127112_2.After1min.thumb.png.1bbe5a8c89ebc2d4503d17c66211834b.png

After 3 Min:

2084879309_3.After3min.thumb.png.5fa602d87029a18ac82b67064c41ae3c.png

Completed:

394040007_4.Completed.thumb.png.5e5f29afcae666f93247aa45bd671c49.png

The temps are way better but is this setting the same as Multi-Core-Enhancement?

3 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

So i found this setting in my uefi bios called CPU Power Enhancement, which was ENABLED BY DEFAULT.

The temps are way better but is this setting the same as Multi-Core-Enhancement?

Looking online and from the results of temps / voltage dropping, it seems like they're the same thing.