Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solidsoul88

NH-D15 Compatibility checking

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to upgrade to NH-D15 cooler and the website says it will hang over my first PCIe lane, will my second PCIe lane be as good? It says the second PCIe lane is "x16 PCH".

 

Processor: Intel Core i7 8700 Hex Core LGA 1151-2 3.20 GHz CPU Processor

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB 2133MHz

MotherBoard: ASUS ROG STRIX B360-G GAMING LGA 1151-2 mATX Motherboard

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Power Supply: Be Quiet! Pure Power 10 500W Power Supply

Case: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=669

 

Pictures:

Z0XZ9NK.png - PCIe lane overhang compatibility

yJCFppL.png - Mother Board

MJ0VMZQ.png - NH-D15 size

Bp2Bbmr.png - Ram size

Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't obstruct any PCIe slot. And Vengeance is low enough for it.

 

Though, why such a beefy cooler on a cpu you can't even overclock?


𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

Link to post
Share on other sites

just a quick suggestion, try to look at Deepcool Assassin III. apparently its slightly bit better than the NH D15. looks better too. though, idk about clearances.


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

PS: i cooled a Ryzen 5 3600(65W) with ID cooling SE207 (200W-250W tdp lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

When my CPU is at max load it under clocks less than base... Also i don't want it to be at 90 Degrees playing games.

 

42 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

just a quick suggestion, try to look at Deepcool Assassin III. apparently its slightly bit better than the NH D15. looks better too. though, idk about clearances.

Ill have a look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Solidsoul88 said:

When my CPU is at max load it under clocks less than base... Also i don't want it to be at 90 Degrees playing games.

What do you have for a cooler right now?

 

A D15 would be a pretty big waste on this kind of setup


𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Solidsoul88 said:

GammaXX 400

Trash cooler

 

Just now, Solidsoul88 said:

I really just want a cooler good enough to keep it below 70 Degrees

the gammaxx should absolutely get this done. Did you make sure the mounting is right? Ever repaste it?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Solidsoul88 said:

GammaXX 400

Trash cooler

It's a fine cooler. I think you just don't have it mounted correctly.


𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

The Deepcool ASSASSIN III has 7 heat pipes compared to the NH-D15's 6

 

I'll try remount it, but i recently put arctic silver 5 on it. (Less than a week ago)

 

Could you link me a good video of someone mounting the GammaXX 400

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Could you link me a good video of someone mounting the GammaXX 400

The Gammaxx 400 should be plenty for cooling.

Are you using default motherboard settings? How are you stressing the cpu and what are your load temps?

 

FYI, you can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Gammaxx 400 should be plenty for cooling.

Are you using default motherboard settings? How are you stressing the cpu and what are your load temps?

 

FYI, you can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged.

I was asking about under volting before and posted all that info, ill link it. 

Look at bottom of that, there is default stress test (Prime95 Benchmark test) images.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Solidsoul88 said:

I was asking about under volting before and posted all that info, ill link it. 

Look at bottom of that, there is default stress test (Prime95 Benchmark test) images.

P95 is fairly heavy. Are you testing after reverting to default motherboard settings without using any other sort of tweaking software like XTU?

If you're going to do any tweaking, you should avoid programs in Windows when possible. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I have only tweaked in XTU and only the voltage offset, but those images are labelled above. Look for Default voltage image temps.

 

I have an i7 8700 which is locked :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Solidsoul88 said:

I have only tweaked in XTU and only the voltage offset, but those images are labelled above. Look for Default voltage image temps.

I have an i7 8700 which is locked :/

If you haven't already, test after reverting to default motherboard settings without using any other sort of tweaking software like XTU.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you haven't already, test after reverting to default motherboard settings without using any other sort of tweaking software like XTU.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ok so i decided to take everything out of my pc (ram, gpu, cpu, cooler), then i wiped thermal paste off and put new arctic silver 5 on and put everything back in making sure my cooler was making contact properly. I then ran the prime95 benchmark without XTU tweaks and took screenshots before, through out and after.

Here are results: (ALL HAVE TIME IN BOTTOM RIGHT)

iqRgE42.jpg

- BEFORE

2gv5fYJ.png

-DURING

ZTSdPpJ.png

-DURING

LaS0Kvq.png

-DURING

PrfpQR6.png  - AFTER

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Ok so i decided to take everything out of my pc (ram, gpu, cpu, cooler), then i wiped thermal paste off and put new arctic silver 5 on and put everything back in making sure my cooler was making contact properly. I then ran the prime95 benchmark without XTU tweaks and took screenshots before, through out and after.

Here are results: (ALL HAVE TIME IN BOTTOM RIGHT)

When I say without tweaking software like XTU, I mean that it shouldn't be running at all. 

So to break it down, 

1. Revert to default motherboard settings

2. Run the desired stress test of choice in Windows. There should be as few programs in the background running as possible but especially no tweaking programs like XTU. 

 

As mentioned P95 is rather heavy and will result in high temps when compared to most other stress tests. I personally use OCCT. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

When I say without tweaking software like XTU, I mean that it shouldn't be running at all. 

So to break it down, 

1. Revert to default motherboard settings

2. Run the desired stress test of choice in Windows. There should be as few programs in the background running as possible but especially no tweaking programs like XTU. 

 

As mentioned P95 is rather heavy and will result in high temps when compared to most other stress tests. I personally use OCCT. 

Here are results:

Before - 

BEFORE.thumb.png.382b65d394da24a2633f91f45036507f.png

1 Minute into test

1min.thumb.png.35ff1bbec100dd558deb6cc906e4e0db.png

3 Minutes into test

3min.thumb.png.922d5310b4beaea83dff51a9df67448f.png

Completed

completed.thumb.png.067473e17ea4c45f03fca6d199c17d96.png

2 Minutes AFTER

1315263123_2minAFTER.thumb.png.c5e04224df232d22096ae1262d4d45d3.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Here are results:

Did you revert to default motherboard settings?

The voltage is extremely high for stock. It should be closer to 1.2v if not lower and not the 1.42v displayed. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 11/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Did you revert to default motherboard settings?

The voltage is extremely high for stock. It should be closer to 1.2v if not lower and not the 1.42v displayed. 

Yea, its stock...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

Yea, its stock...

Check and see if there's a setting called Multicore Enhancement enabled. It's effectively an auto-oc that generally uses more voltage than necessary and may be the cause of your high voltage and temps. Make sure it's disabled and see if temps improve.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 11/23/2019 at 1:50 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Check and see if there's a setting called Multicore Enhancement enabled. It's effectively an auto-oc that generally uses more voltage than necessary and may be the cause of your high voltage and temps. Make sure it's disabled and see if temps improve.

So i found this setting in my uefi bios called CPU Power Enhancement, which was ENABLED BY DEFAULT. 

1052440224_UEFIBIOS.thumb.jpg.1ebdcb7778ce712f1d4a777620058193.jpg

 

Here is the test with this turned off:

 

Before:

1752390169_1.Before.thumb.png.2c91921c98dd762ac01475907457f677.png

 

After 1 Min:

691127112_2.After1min.thumb.png.1bbe5a8c89ebc2d4503d17c66211834b.png

 

After 3 Min:

2084879309_3.After3min.thumb.png.5fa602d87029a18ac82b67064c41ae3c.png

 

Completed:

394040007_4.Completed.thumb.png.5e5f29afcae666f93247aa45bd671c49.png

 

The temps are way better but is this setting the same as Multi-Core-Enhancement?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Solidsoul88 said:

So i found this setting in my uefi bios called CPU Power Enhancement, which was ENABLED BY DEFAULT.

The temps are way better but is this setting the same as Multi-Core-Enhancement?

Looking online and from the results of temps / voltage dropping, it seems like they're the same thing.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×