What would be a good pc for playing KSP for under £900

Isaac2005

Ok Thanks you have been very helpful I am now considering buying it or something similar.

this is about 800 new, but you can easily half or third that if you go used. this is a dated but still very relevant system. of course if you dont want used youd want to go with something like an r5 2600 and a B450 board, the rest would still be fine with that though, just some newer ddr4 stuff for the ram.image.thumb.png.eeaf95fe24740d80af2e53da0e5e29cf.png

Joseph M. Gowen

For KSP you want a CPU heavy build. a 1060 6GB is about enough to run KSP at over 60 fps. The rest is up to the CPU. a 5700 is a waste of money for that game. Unless you want to be future proof.
Go for at least 4Ghz per core speed, since KSP still isnt the best multi-threaded load.
All these suggestions i've seen are not enough for a lag-free experience, do you guys even know what KSP is, or better have played it?
(BTW if not do so, its awesome to no end!)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 hour ago, HanZie82 said:

For KSP you want a CPU heavy build. a 1060 6GB is about enough to run KSP at over 60 fps. The rest is up to the CPU. a 5700 is a waste of money for that game. Unless you want to be future proof.
Go for at least 4Ghz per core speed, since KSP still isnt the best multi-threaded load.
All these suggestions i've seen are not enough for a lag-free experience, do you guys even know what KSP is, or better have played it?
(BTW if not do so, its awesome to no end!)

Would this be better 

20 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Absolutely! 

But yeha in my personal experience Seagates failed me more than WDs. But that might be bad luck.

Price/perf (for normal consumer drives at least) you're better :D 

Maybe a little bad luck ?... But as long as you keep your expectations clear you can take advantage of value devices with a good price and performance relation. In general, devices that operate at higher levels cost more, such as the IronWolf, for example.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 hours ago, Isaac2005 said:

I'm sorry but... Wot??

Overspending on last gen CPU and motherboard, and graphics card too (since they're not being made anymore). You'll end up spending a lot more for a lot less with this one.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Yes it is. Facausome's suggestion is more than enough.

Also why suggest the last gen and overpriced 1060?

14 hours ago, Isaac2005 said:

Would this be better 

Its worse in every regard.

14 hours ago, The_Maskarade said:

this is about 800 new, but you can easily half or third that if you go used. this is a dated but still very relevant system. of course if you dont want used youd want to go with something like an r5 2600 and a B450 board, the rest would still be fine with that though, just some newer ddr4 stuff for the ram

He has enough money to go new, also 4th gen rarely is worth it with the used market prices

21 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Yes it is. Facausome's suggestion is more than enough.

Indeed, Altho personaly i would go for a Ryzen 7 line for the better performance but for the rest yes. 
That the 1060 is overpriced i did not know, but when i got it it was still worth it, but i only put it there as an example. As KSP is not that graphics heavy but would love a high single core speed. Specialy if the vehicles (planes rockets or whatevers) are  very big.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

That the 1060 is overpriced i did not know, but when i got it it was still worth it,

It was worth it like 1,5 years ago. Around that time it has been overtaken by the rx 580 in price.

As KSP is not that graphics heavy but would love a high single core speed. Specialy if the vehicles (planes rockets or whatevers) are  very big.

Big rockets will be slow regardless. And there are plenty of graphics heavy mods you can use to improve the visuals.

And KSP 2 is around the corner with engine improvements. 

Altho personaly i would go for a Ryzen 7 line for the better performance but for the rest yes

There are 7 Ryzen 7 CPUs on the AM4 socket. And not all of them are better than 2600 in gaming. Could allways head for the 3600.

For the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE i would recommend that you but this power supply because it has more wattage and you might need that in the long run because when you need to replace the graphics card with something batter you need more watt and I have a rx480 nitro+ OC and I bought this power supply its quite and overall wery good for the price if you have more money you can get the rgb one.

hope this helps  

heres the link for the psu 

https://www.ebuyer.com/856009-thermaltake-litepower-650w-psu-ps-ltp-0650npcn-uk-2

i would go bigger ssd fs

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Here's some changes I made.

You get gold efficiency psu, it's semi modular but you have to connect the 24pin atx cable and the video card 8 pin connectors anyway.

You get 512 GB and nvme  SSD (higher speed) ... and you get to use the M.2 connector you have on the board.

The motherboard is fine, I was about to suggest MSI B450M Gaming Plus but this Asrock model is decent as well. You're really limiting your choices with mATX - if you go with ATX case, you may get better quality motherboards at the same price, but the case may be a bit more expensive.

I would encourage you to drop the 2 TB mechanical drive and use that money in the monitor budget - it's really a shame to use that powerful video card with 1080p and a 21.5" monitor.

For example, I'd suggest spending 150 uk pounds for :

LG 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor (25UM58-P) - PCPartPicker

or 160 uk pounds for :

LG 25UM58 25.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor (25UM58) - PCPartPicker

Another great option is  this at 190 uk pounds AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS LED QHD (2560x1440) Freesync 75Hz monitor. (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort)

In the build below, there's 44 uk pounds left in the 900 budget, and if you drop the 51 uk pound mechanical drive, you have 95 uk pounds. If you take out the 80 uk pounds monitor, you now have 95+80 = 175 uk pounds, so you'd only go above your budget by 15 uk pounds to get a decent big monitor.

Mechanical drives you can buy any time of day, but you don't change the monitor so often, buy something you don't have to strain your eyes on.... 21.5" in 2019... bah.

7 hours ago, Rasil1127 said:

For the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE i would recommend that you but this power supply because it has more wattage and you might need that in the long run because when you need to replace the graphics card with something batter you need more watt and I have a rx480 nitro+ OC and I bought this power supply its quite and overall wery good for the price if you have more money you can get the rgb one.

hope this helps  

heres the link for the psu 

https://www.ebuyer.com/856009-thermaltake-litepower-650w-psu-ps-ltp-0650npcn-uk-2

that is so much worse than the vengeance. Plus the 5700XT doesn't eat enough power to need it anyway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£106.38 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£64.13 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£59.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£51.24 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card  (£298.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£35.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£63.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2458-mhd 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (£134.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £874.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 03:37 GMT+0000

Edited by Herman Mcpootis

@Herman Mcpootis  the WD Blue is ok drive, but it's SATA M.2 drive as far as I know... the model I suggested is 5 uk pounds more expensive, but it's pci-e x4, muchfaster... and I think it may have longer warranty as well.

You can get cheaper but still decent SATA 2.5" drives if you're fine with just 550 MB/s

No I play lots of games like civilisation, KSP and world of warship type games