Corsair AIO running CPU at 200 (F)

Go to solution Solved by EthanWater,

TO close this out, Corsair RMA's my GPU - and not i'm running at around 100-110 F, seemed to be a bad pump. 

HELP! I just did a rebuild of my system into a new case, and replaced my AIO with corsair's h100i white edition, everything looks right on the dashboard as far as RPM's go, but I'm getting serious heat issues, I reseated my AIO twice, cleaning the old paste off with rubbing alcohol and reapplying with fresh paste (around a large grain of rice), screwing it down, and unscrewing it to check the spread, it all looked good. When I power everything up and open up the dash, its right back up to near 200 (f) (90+ C). 

• I'm running a i7-9700k at stock clocking
  • evga z370 classified K mobo
  • Hydro Series™ H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Commander Pro (4 fans running to it, 2 are connected to the AIO's fan headers)
  • 6 LL fans 
  • 64 gb of corsair ram (sitting at around 100 F)

Attached is the export from the icue dashboard, and a screen shot of the dash. 

If one of you beautiful bastards helps me solve this I'll seriously paypal you some cash. If i werent already bald I'd be ripping my hair out trying to figure this out. 

Capture.JPG

sysinfo.zip

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

What's the pump RPM reporting? Do you hear sloshing within the AIO?

It’s reporting 1200 I think, the system is off atm 

That seems normal.

Listen for air in the loop and make sure your hoses are routed to be as straight as possible. How is yours mounted to the case? I believe top mounted should get you the best results.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

That seems normal.

Listen for air in the loop and make sure your hoses are routed to be as straight as possible. How is yours mounted to the case? I believe top mounted should get you the best results.

73047034-F8F6-4ABD-B2DE-4BC6E49E469D.jpeg

As previously stated, make sure for whatever reason there isn't some air in the lines or the block itself. When you turn the PC on, tint it from side to side, front to back, basically flip it all around (assuming you don't have a harddrive in it, they don't like that. If you do, unplug it form power while you try this). That can help get the air out of the lines or block and into the top of the radiator.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

49 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

As previously stated, make sure for whatever reason there isn't some air in the lines or the block itself. When you turn the PC on, tint it from side to side, front to back, basically flip it all around (assuming you don't have a harddrive in it, they don't like that. If you do, unplug it form power while you try this). That can help get the air out of the lines or block and into the top of the radiator.

I’ll give it a try, would disconnecting the radiator and just shaking that around do the trick as well? Might be easier than shanking the whole case

2 hours ago, EthanWater said:

Observations:

-Your pump ia reporting 2776 rpm which is fine for asetek and is probably spinning fine

- your coolant temperature is very low (25 c) indicating that the heat is not being passed onto the AIO efficiently

- Fans at 0 rpm on the cooler is probably the zero rpm mode when the coolant is below 40 degrees.

So from here i can only guess two things:

- Poor mounting of the block, i know you said it looks fine and youve done it a few times, but please post a photo of the thermal paste spread on either side of cpu and aio block

My good spread example

20171107_191011.jpg

-incorrect temperture of the coolant reported by the aio. Touch the radiator and if it is cold to the touch then all is fine. If it is hot then the temp sensor might be busted.

the spread on the cpu looks similar to that, maybe a tiny bit less around the edges. the AIO does feel cool, but the backside of the mobo where the cpu sits is very hot, I'm going to attempt the air bubble shake this evening, and will report back. 

7 hours ago, For Science! said:

- Fans at 0 rpm on the cooler is probably the zero rpm mode when the coolant is below 40 degrees.

I actually had the two fans on the AIO plugged into the commander pro and not the AIO. I've changed that since then, to no change. 

2 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

Good idea, good luck.

Have a look here for some more of my opinions:

With regards to shaking, if you can do it with the AIO dismounted (provided you have either an extenral PSU or alternative cooler for the CPU). Try something like this.

shook the AIO radiator while it was off the case, heard the slosh at the radiator, put everything back on, and i'm still running hot

Capture.JPG

I sent a help ticket into Corsair about this, we'll see what happens...

1 hour ago, EthanWater said:

This really is the level of "not removing the plastic sticker" level of hot, I think we really need more diagnostic pictures like what I mentioned above (pictures of unmunted blocks, thermal paste spread, etc).

Maby the IHS on the cpu is not flat I've heard that's a problem with 9th gen take the cpu out put it on a flat surface if it spins the IHS is not flat and you need to lap it. Just what I got from jayztwocents 

10 hours ago, For Science! said:

This really is the level of "not removing the plastic sticker" level of hot, I think we really need more diagnostic pictures like what I mentioned above (pictures of unmunted blocks, thermal paste spread, etc).

Sure. I'll take pictures tonight once I'm home from work. Thanks for following along with this.

Also the corsair AIO doesn't have a plastic sticker, probably to prevent stupid shit like that from happening, they have a big hard plastic cover that clips over the mounting arms so it's impossible to put on without removing it. 

8 hours ago, Smackaroy said:

Maby the IHS on the cpu is not flat I've heard that's a problem with 9th gen take the cpu out put it on a flat surface if it spins the IHS is not flat and you need to lap it. Just what I got from jayztwocents 

I've never heard of that issue happening. has it been reported on i7-9700k's? 

3 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

No on 9900k's but they probably use the same IHS

25 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

It is a "thing" but its only for those seeking to improve upon normal temperatures, unflat IHS/cooler is not going to be the reason you are at 105 degrees celcious.

17 minutes ago, For Science! said:

It is a "thing" but its only for those seeking to improve upon normal temperatures, unflat IHS/cooler is not going to be the reason you are at 105 degrees celcious.

Yea, I assume it isn't going to be the reason, besides thermal paste would even out the minute variance in flatness anyway. I'm going to take pictures, and probably a video of the build with the AIO being pulled off and wiring to give reference tonight, and hopefully there is something simple im missing, and everyone can call me dumb, and we can go on our marry way. 

Just a thought, turn the whole computer upside down and run it, or take the radiator off and make sure the hoses are lower then the rest of the unit. I wonder if the hoses being at the top are not drawing water like maybe not a full charge of water.

41 minutes ago, Tallguy64 said:

Just a thought, turn the whole computer upside down and run it, or take the radiator off and make sure the hoses are lower then the rest of the unit. I wonder if the hoses being at the top are not drawing water like maybe not a full charge of water.

Isn't it recommended that the hoses be at the top of a radiator when it's vertically mounted so the pump doesn't have to work against gravity? I'll give it a try either way this evening. At this point, it can't hurt...

Honestly, i am just starting to dip my toes in water cooling, but from other experiences fish tanks and automotive work both hoses at the top are generally a no no. I just put one of these in my desktop build too. Since these have no reservoir and if the unit was low on coolant i could see it sucking air and not cooling properly with both hoses on top. If there was air in their due to insulating properties of air i could see the temp of the cooler showing much lower.  At least its the only theory i got.

2 hours ago, Tallguy64 said:

Honestly, i am just starting to dip my toes in water cooling, but from other experiences fish tanks and automotive work both hoses at the top are generally a no no. I just put one of these in my desktop build too. Since these have no reservoir and if the unit was low on coolant i could see it sucking air and not cooling properly with both hoses on top. If there was air in their due to insulating properties of air i could see the temp of the cooler showing much lower.  At least its the only theory i got.

If you are mounting an AIO cooler vertically you want the hoses on top(higher) if you mount it the other way it puts a decent amount of strain on the pump. If you are mounting horizontally in the case it doesn't matter. Fish tanks filtration systems and cars cooling are completely different from an AIO CPU cooler.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |