[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

and thank you for this amazing comment, giving so many solutions. give me more of this, please

Hello uwu  
Any particular reason why Riotoro Enigma G2 is listed as a "Tier A" PSU, while other PSUs based on older Focus are in "Tier D+"?  
Or am I missing something?  
So it's not gonna have problems with OCP right?  
I'm currently choosing a PSU, stuck between g2, formula gold, tx, new seasonic core and nzxt e.. Orz  
If enigma is apparently fine - then it's the cheapest one of em  

7 hours ago, Rexper said:

Wow the Corsair VS 2017 is higher quality than the much more expensive EVGA G3 and Seasonic Focus Plus.

Not quality per se, it's just that tier D+ units have various issues so they've been detiered, IIRC too high OCP setting on EVGA G3 and GPU instability with Focus due to high ripple.

3 hours ago, Ameko said:

HAny particular reason why Riotoro Enigma G2 is listed as a "Tier A" PSU, while other PSUs based on older Focus are in "Tier D+"? 

I've asked this question a few pages back, it has OCP set to 110% but so are later Focus FX revisions IIRC and no word on whether they fixed ripple on it somehow so that question actually still stands ...

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

I've asked this question a few pages back, it has OCP set to 110% but so are later Focus FX revisions IIRC and no word on whether they fixed ripple

well.... the high ripple was at 120%, so that's one thing. and i haven't seen the same, except for the riotoro here so far

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well.... the high ripple was at 120%, so that's one thing. and i haven't seen the same, except for the riotoro here so far

So it should be fine.. right? 

5 minutes ago, Ameko said:

So it should be fine.. right? 

it should be

but I'd take the formula personally

33 minutes ago, The Dark Matter said:

Did anyone come across Corsair CV series?

i even know what it is outside of the 650w: an 80+ bronze version of the vs 2017

but i want to see testing before i add it

11 hours ago, Juular said:

I've asked this question a few pages back, it has OCP set to 110% but so are later Focus FX revisions IIRC and no word on whether they fixed ripple on it somehow so that question actually still stands ...

neither the ritoro or the focus plus(except the focus 1000w variant) has 12v OCP , they have OPP though , there was no lowering in OPP setting for the focus AFAIR , however the ritoro enigma g2 when tested at kitguru by zordon it shutdown at 110% overload 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

Wait a second, are you really sure about seasonic focus's issues? I mean the abnormal high ripple under heavy load. The only test in which i have seen this issue is one review, about one model, perhaps defective. I haven't seen another example yet. 

1 minute ago, Admiral650 said:

Wait a second, are you really sure about seasonic focus's issues? I mean the abnormal high ripple under heavy load. The only test in which i have seen this issue is one review, about one model, perhaps defective. I haven't seen another example yet. 

and that review is the only one that went to 120%, the others to 110% overload in testing. seasonic never officially confirmed the issue, but have shown to be solving it in the 2019 line

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i even know what it is outside of the 650w: an 80+ bronze version of the vs 2017

but i want to see testing before i add it

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's better to run some tests beforehand rather than us guessing it's reliability. Is there anyway for you to get your hands on one of them?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

and that review is the only one that went to 120%, the others to 110% overload in testing. seasonic never officially confirmed the issue, but have shown to be solving it in the 2019 line

if I remember correctly, the italian youtuber Falco75 tested some focus psu over 120%. Give me a moment.

Just now, The Dark Matter said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's better to run some tests beforehand rather than us guessing it's reliability. Is there anyway for you to get your hands on one of them?

i could ask corsair... but then i'd have to knock somewhere else to borrow a chroma or something, i don't have any

so i personally can't, but i might take a look around on who's requesting one with some reviewers i know

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i could ask corsair... but then i'd have to knock somewhere else to borrow a chroma or something, i don't have any

so i personally can't, but i might take a look around on who's requesting one with some reviewers i know

Yeah. That would be a good idea. Do you think it's a re branded VS 2017 by the look of it though? 

13 minutes ago, The Dark Matter said:

Yeah. That would be a good idea. Do you think it's a re branded VS 2017 by the look of it though? 

not by the looks of it... the designer himself said it

37 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

34 minutes ago, Admiral650 said:

if I remember correctly, the italian youtuber Falco75 tested some focus psu over 120%. Give me a moment.

I know it's not the most sophisticated instrumentation in the world but we can see over 1090W at the wall and about 30 mV of ripple. We don't have the precise value of the power absorbed by the light bulbs and, unfortunately, the setup isn't sufficient to cause the shutdown of the power supply but almost certanly is over 110 or 120% of load.

He also tested a riotoro and a 650W antec variant. The riotoro G2 750W has shut down at over 1000W (obviously consider that there may be less than 1000W, but certanly more than 110%), but ripple wasn't displayed at that moment, maybe i could ask if he noted some issues.
Fortunately we can see the Antec variant at the moment of overload, and you can see there is no ripple issue. He said it's still under 60 mV.

55 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not by the looks of it... the designer himself said it

Then it should be pretty credible. 

48 minutes ago, The Dark Matter said:

Then it should be pretty credible. 

though, as i said earlier, the 650w is based off a different HEC platform, which is dc-dc

but that's all i know for now

19 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

though, as i said earlier, the 650w is based off a different HEC platform, which is dc-dc

but that's all i know for now

Hopefully we'll be able to know more in the near future.

The thing is this series is so new, there aren't much of reviews or unboxing videos on the internet except for the official web page.

17 minutes ago, Ameko said:

Talking about OPP - according to this russian article - their enig g2 750w shut down at 1050w  
They also noted that at 1030w it was stable  
https://ru.gecid.com/power/riotoro_enigma_750wg2/?s=1

3 hours ago, Admiral650 said:

I know it's not the most sophisticated instrumentation in the world but we can see over 1090W at the wall and about 30 mV of ripple. We don't have the precise value of the power absorbed by the light bulbs and, unfortunately, the setup isn't sufficient to cause the shutdown of the power supply but almost certanly is over 110 or 120% of load.

He also tested a riotoro and a 650W antec variant. The riotoro G2 750W has shut down at over 1000W (obviously consider that there may be less than 1000W, but certanly more than 110%), but ripple wasn't displayed at that moment, maybe i could ask if he noted some issues.
Fortunately we can see the Antec variant at the moment of overload, and you can see there is no ripple issue. He said it's still under 60 mV.

@LukeSavenije that's why i say only aris is currently capable of providing consistent and reliable results in the PSU reviews , he is an electrical engineer with a PHD and has a high end lab and he calibrates his equipments regularly  

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

9 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

@LukeSavenije that's why i say only aris is currently capable of providing consistent and reliable results in the PSU reviews , he is an electrical engineer with a PHD and has a high end lab and he calibrates his equipments regularly  

So 750w variant is more or less fine, right?  
... compared to 650w, for example

12 minutes ago, Ameko said:

So 750w variant is more or less fine, right?  
... compared to 650w, for example

although its supposed to be a rebranded seasonic fous plus ,but i have seen some rebrands that has some protections removed 

https://www.riotoro.com/support/enigma-g2-750w-atx-power-supply-1

according to their spec sheet which is very rough when it comes to mention of protections they may have stripped off OTP 

if it's not really tested by a reliable reviewer till this day , i can't fully stand by it , none of these aforementioned reviewers  tests any of the protections properly and the best they can do is just give you an idea of what OPP is set at  based on readings from equipment that we don't know anything about 

at this price point i would wait and see a proper thorough review for that unit before recommending over something that is similarly priced and thoroughly tested like the corsair TXM 

PC Part Picker

1 hour ago, Mezoxin said:

@LukeSavenije that's why i say only aris is currently capable of providing consistent and reliable results in the PSU reviews ,

you know... I'll see if i can get something directly from him, if i got anything, I'll let you know... but last time i spoke him he was at CES

How about this: 

Silver Stone SST, 650watts, Strider Essential, PSU, 80PLUS gold, pn: SST-ET650-G and SST-ET550-G

*edit: Also this Cougar 650watts, GXS, PSU, 80 gold, pn: CGR-GS-650 within the same price range too.

Found one on my local shop and its just $70.

Will use on a 5 3600 / 5700 set up.