What do you think Apple should do to be better and still set itself apart from competitors?

Retro_R
2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Because "it just works"? People are prepared to pay for that instead of feature load over the top fiddly devices from other makers...

Rip off People works for them, thats true.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

35 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Rip off People works for them, thats true.

That's what I thought too. I'm on iPhone now after like gazillion iterations of Google's fuckery. And I disagree. Yeah, it has few really dumb things, but it just works. Literally. And up to 5 years of software support is something you can only dream with basically any Android.

41 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's what I thought too. I'm on iPhone now after like gazillion iterations of Google's fuckery. And I disagree. Yeah, it has few really dumb things, but it just works. Literally. And up to 5 years of software support is something you can only dream with basically any Android.

So deal with Apple's nonsense instead with stuff like not having a more durable USB-C port,locked down batteries,or being charged about as much as the phone is worth to replace the back glass if you accidentally drop it. Software updates would be a good point if Apple didn't design the hardware to break on purpose, didn't lock down critical components to the specific device,and actually allowed users to get their devices to be repaired by good repair shops.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, Kisai said:

The sad part is that the Mac Mini is nearly a perfect device, except that it has no PCIe Video card. If Apple had only thought about releasing it's own "eGPU" box in the same form factor that can be directly connected to the 16-lane PCIe bus, and USB-C monitors that would have solved the gap between the MacMini and the MacPro.

I love my Mac Mini. I dropped a 16GB RAM kit and 1TB SSD in to my 2012 i5 model and it is still going strong as an audio/video editor. I've honestly never understood the derision the mini gets among Apple enthusiasts as it offers far better price:performance versus using a MBP or an iMac for people like me who don't need the kind of display the other models offer. Honestly, I'm waiting on the Mini Pro to eventually drop because as much as I love the design of the 2013 Trash can Pro, I would eventually like a DDR4 Pro model.

I even managed to turn my mini in to the most jank laptop ever by hooking up a a cheap Element monitor inside a Pelican case with velcro and sticky padding a power strip to the insides so I only need one power outlet. College me thought he was smart by having a 20lb MacBook that cost under $1,000.

But yes, multiple differing ports does disagree with Apple's design aesthetic and I begrudgingly accept our USB-C overlords. I just dislike having to carry a multitude of dongles to connect my Midi keyboard, audio interface, external speaker system, wired mouse+keyboard, ethernet, SD card reader, and whatever else I might need in order to get my work done on newer models. Once all the tools I use convert to USB-C I'll probably be slightly less upset about it, but until then I'm going to be a dinosaur and complain about needing dongles on anything labeled as a "pro" model.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

59 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

So deal with Apple's nonsense instead with stuff like not having a more durable USB-C port,locked down batteries,or being charged about as much as the phone is worth to replace the back glass if you accidentally drop it. Software updates would be a good point if Apple didn't design the hardware to break on purpose, didn't lock down critical components to the specific device,and actually allowed users to get their devices to be repaired by good repair shops.

Lightning port, as much as it's proprietary, it's a non issue. You can get cheap cables all over the place just like for USB-C. Non issue.

Locked down batteries? Bullshit. They show warning for non genuine ones. Same for display. Actual reason? Second hand market for Apple devices is huge. Hell, even Apple itself has trade in program. Instead o having to disassemble every device they trade in or you buy, you can just check the status. Also battery replacement by official Apple service for my iPhone XR is 80€. 80 fucking € for a device that was over 800€. If you can afford such device, are you really crying over 80€ after 2-3 years? Really? For older phones it's like 40 or 50€.

What has Apple designed to "break" on purpose? You mean "slowing down" the phones? Or have they become slow because they are just so, you know, old as is? People just think installing latest OS will magically make everything faster. New OS doesn't make old chipset faster. It just makes what you have in hardware work more efficient. If that's a 4 years old iPhone, chances are, it's already so slow it's not gonna make it any better in any way. And if it offers more features, chances are, it might be slower. Or do you mean the intentional slowdown of phones to make batteries last longer on ancient worn out phones? Yeah, it sucks that they haven't disclosed that openly, but average clueless users preferred usable but slower phone without battery change over phone that goes dead after 6 hours. Opposed to Android just becoming retarded slow for absolutely no logical reason within supported lifetime of a device (1-2 years).

Reality is, majority of drama is pointless and nowhere realistic. After all the expected drama, experience isn't all that different from any other countless Android I had. In fact it's better for me in general and as a bonus I don't have to deal with garbage Google. The extra expenses I had was like 15€ worth of cheap Lightning cables so I can charge it everywhere I used to charge my old phones before. I use the same old chargers I had before. UGreen QC3.0 one at home, UGreen QC3.0 for car cigarette lighter and at work I use my old Xiaomi's QC3.0 charger. Hupty doo, big fucking drama over nothing.

They show warning for non genuine ones

Nope. You can get two brand-new iphones, switch their batteries around, and both will show the message. It's not a "your battery isn't genuine" warning, it's a "you haven't paid us to remove the warning" warning

15 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Lightning port, as much as it's proprietary, it's a non issue. You can get cheap cables all over the place just like for USB-C. Non issue.

Locked down batteries? Bullshit. They show warning for non genuine ones. Same for display. Actual reason? Second hand market for Apple devices is huge. Hell, even Apple itself has trade in program. Instead o having to disassemble every device they trade in or you buy, you can just check the status. Also battery replacement by official Apple service for my iPhone XR is 80€. 80 fucking € for a device that was over 800€. If you can afford such device, are you really crying over 80€ after 2-3 years? Really? For older phones it's like 40 or 50€.

What has Apple designed to "break" on purpose? You mean "slowing down" the phones? Or have they become slow because they are just so, you know, old as is? People just think installing latest OS will magically make everything faster. New OS doesn't make old chipset faster. It just makes what you have in hardware work more efficient. If that's a 4 years old iPhone, chances are, it's already so slow it's not gonna make it any better in any way. And if it offers more features, chances are, it might be slower. Or do you mean the intentional slowdown of phones to make batteries last longer on ancient worn out phones? Yeah, it sucks that they haven't disclosed that openly, but average clueless users preferred usable but slower phone without battery change over phone that goes dead after 6 hours. Opposed to Android just becoming retarded slow for absolutely no logical reason within supported lifetime of a device (1-2 years).

Reality is, majority of drama is pointless and nowhere realistic. After all the expected drama, experience isn't all that different from any other countless Android I had. In fact it's better for me in general and as a bonus I don't have to deal with garbage Google. The extra expenses I had was like 15€ worth of cheap Lightning cables so I can charge it everywhere I used to charge my old phones before. I use the same old chargers I had before. UGreen QC3.0 one at home, UGreen QC3.0 for car cigarette lighter and at work I use my old Xiaomi's QC3.0 charger. Hupty doo, big fucking drama over nothing.

The cables and port are much weaker than the standardized USB-C port, I can also get cheap USB-C cables about everywhere that won't break like a lightning cable.

No, as mentioned even if you take a battery out of a brand new phone and transfer it to another, you'll still get the warning because the battery is tied to that phone with a chip. The actual reason is to get you into the Apple store to pay $80 for a $30 battery. Why shouldn't I be concerned with not being able to go to an AASP or reputable shop to get a battery replacement for potentially less? Apple is also doing something very similar with displaying warning messages on iphone 11's with replacement screens, even those with an OEM screen.

Everyone has their preferences, however the few issues i've had with android phones are pretty minor, not enough to drop $800 on an iphone when I could get a phone that does everything I need to for half of that, heck the pretentious bullsh*t marketing is enough to keep me from buying an Apple device.

80€ is too much of an expense on +800€ smartphone for 2-3 years of use. Blimey. The same kind of retardation as buying a 60k badge car and then sticking some cheap ass no name tires on it coz you're too damn cheap. But you totally dropped those 60k into a car. Same level of logic.

Also if you transplant battery or display from other phone. Who will you guarantee that it was brand new and not a worn out one that you transplanted just so it even works? To the Apple store staff when you're trading in the phone? To someone when you sell it on eBay? Yeah, I don't think so. Where with this check, they only need to open the settings menu and it's there. You can hate it all you want, but I can see very well why there is a legit reason to have that. Everyone's like "uh oh bad Apple" and I seem to be the only idiot who understands why they are doing it. And why I don't feel like 80€ is too much for a new, certified Apple's battery. I also stick best tires money can buy on my old used to be 13k hatchback. I'm that kind of person.

I also understand someone using cheap eBay sourced 20€ battery for a 150€ smartphone. I definitely don't understand it on a 800€ phone.

2 hours ago, Yebi said:

Nope. You can get two brand-new iphones, switch their batteries around, and both will show the message. It's not a "your battery isn't genuine" warning, it's a "you haven't paid us to remove the warning" warning

You swapped it and you know that. How about when someone swaps it with some cheap ass crappy one from eBay and sells that phone to you as second hand one in pristine state with "original" battery and you can only verify that by opening it up and risking failure or cracking the actually expensive glass? All of a sudden that warning has a meaning. But hey, by all means, pay big price for a "pristine" used iPhone that has garbage 3rd party battery and some 3rd grade display as replacement in it. And you wouldn't know a damn thing about it until it would fail as fuck and you'd be mad as hell. With the warnings, such thing can't happen. Not the failures, I'm talking about non genuine swapped parts. But hey, keep on screaming how Apple is bad. It's hilarious. I understand when someone with cheapo smartphone is doing it, I certainly don't with super expensive ones where people act all broke as cheap, but they had no problem dropping 4 digits into a device itself in the beginning. If you can't service that properly later and be bitchy about it all over the internet, how about you look at stuff you can actually keep up with financially? I'm not bragging here how I can buy shit, I'm just placing you down on solid ground.

First post ever... My Answer: “ART + Function over Time.” 
    They Have the foundations for micro/Specialized—OS aka: WatchOS.

They Have iOS,OSX & the ability to emulate additional operating systems.

They have the ability to use shared attributes of wired & wireless Devices from&too the smallest watch, Phone, tablet all the way to the largest super computers.

The Apple needs the equivalent to the first Colorful iMac not fancy new speeds or hardware upgrades. 

You swapped it and you know that. How about when someone swaps it with some cheap ass crappy one from eBay and sells that phone to you as second hand one in pristine state with "original" battery and you can only verify that by opening it up and risking failure or cracking the actually expensive glass? All of a sudden that warning has a meaning.

This is exactly why.

You can ignore non-genuine warnings, but the real goal is to prevent counterfeits (aka exploding batteries) from being used in phone repairs. 

Aftermarket batteries for everything exist, but not all batteries are created equal. Remember this:

https://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/computing/apple/apple-and-sony-in-settlement-over-battery-fire-321498

In 2006, however, Sony was forced to recall some 9.6 million lithium-ion batteries following numerous similar reports of overheating and instability.

Even legitimate companies sometimes put out rubbish batteries. The Dell's I repair at the office, the Latitude E7470's and Latitude 7480's have such utterly crappy batteries that they're replaced at least once, if not twice before the device warranty runs out. I've only had to replace one battery for the thicker Precision laptops over the same amount of time and there's just as many of those. If you get a parts list for those laptops there's several different models of battery of the same capacity, which tells me that they got batteries from different suppliers over the entire production history.

Eventually we will reach a point where everything that uses DC power is powered by USB-C, even the 1Kw desktop PC's. They will just have 12 USB-C connectors on them instead of one AC cable. I'm saying this tongue-in-cheek, but it IS a work-around the need for various sizes of power supplies, it's just not super-practical. USB-C quick charge power tops out at like 18 watts, and 100 watts for PD. Most laptops can get away with one USB-c PD connection, Unless they have a GPU more powerful than a Quadro P1000/Geforce GTX 1050. Dell's solution has been to just have two USB-c power connectors, even though it does not support two separate docks. So one of those USB-C connectors is just USB-PD only when both are connected to a PD source. 

What I actually expect is a "quad/twin USB-c" type of standard that defines how far apart the usb-c connectors must be to have multiple PD sources. You can then route some of those to have batteries in parallel, and thus no more needing UPS systems that convert AC to DC back to AC for desktops. Just plug in your USB-c battery bank and your desktop keeps going long enough to shut down safely or switch power sources. This is the kind of thing I'd expect from Apple, but we are seeing some manufacturers start to clue in that this might actually be smart move.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

80€ is too much of an expense on +800€ smartphone for 2-3 years of use. Blimey. The same kind of retardation as buying a 60k badge car and then sticking some cheap ass no name tires on it coz you're too damn cheap. But you totally dropped those 60k into a car. Same level of logic.

Also if you transplant battery or display from other phone. Who will you guarantee that it was brand new and not a worn out one that you transplanted just so it even works? To the Apple store staff when you're trading in the phone? To someone when you sell it on eBay? Yeah, I don't think so. Where with this check, they only need to open the settings menu and it's there. You can hate it all you want, but I can see very well why there is a legit reason to have that. Everyone's like "uh oh bad Apple" and I seem to be the only idiot who understands why they are doing it. And why I don't feel like 80€ is too much for a new, certified Apple's battery. I also stick best tires money can buy on my old used to be 13k hatchback. I'm that kind of person.

I also understand someone using cheap eBay sourced 20€ battery for a 150€ smartphone. I definitely don't understand it on a 800€ phone.

The point being ignored is being able to get my device repaired by someone other than Apple, who are notorious for shit repairs because they don't even do their own repairs. Apple needs to make their parts more easily available, and have prices that compete with other shops.

And no it isn't like obsessing over tires, most people won't notice a $100 tire from a $200 tire. The products are designed to be nearly impossible to repair even for well trained techs, its like spending $60k on a BMW then having to go to the dealer for repairs, as opposed to being smarter with money and getting a more reliable Lexus, or even a Mercedes. What makes the $80 battery better, because Apple says its better? If the battery was replaced by a reputable AASP they aren't going to risk their business using garbage parts, Apple is implying if you don't get a battery from them then everyone else doing repairs is bad.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You swapped it and you know that. How about when someone swaps it with some cheap ass crappy one from eBay and sells that phone to you as second hand one in pristine state with "original" battery and you can only verify that by opening it up and risking failure or cracking the actually expensive glass? All of a sudden that warning has a meaning. But hey, by all means, pay big price for a "pristine" used iPhone that has garbage 3rd party battery and some 3rd grade display as replacement in it. And you wouldn't know a damn thing about it until it would fail as fuck and you'd be mad as hell. With the warnings, such thing can't happen. Not the failures, I'm talking about non genuine swapped parts. But hey, keep on screaming how Apple is bad. It's hilarious. I understand when someone with cheapo smartphone is doing it, I certainly don't with super expensive ones where people act all broke as cheap, but they had no problem dropping 4 digits into a device itself in the beginning. If you can't service that properly later and be bitchy about it all over the internet, how about you look at stuff you can actually keep up with financially? I'm not bragging here how I can buy shit, I'm just placing you down on solid ground.

No, the user would never know because the warning didn't come up,and the phone would work as new, anyone would know some trash fake display because those look worse than the factory displays on any decent phone, or a fake battery if the capacity to hold a charge is noticeably worse. But you're still missing the point here and defending Apple as if anti-right to repair built into the hardware down to the battery is a good thing.

Here a list that could have many things added:

• They could not be focused on putting an i9 in a paper thin laptop, most people that would actually need an i9 would probably prefer a little thicker laptop vs throttling piece of junk.
  • They could launch cheaper iPhones
  • They could stop making pro products near impossible to repair yourself, and even for the people who are skilled at this
  • They could stop ripping people off by putting a 720p screen in a new iPhone and acting like it is amazing and selling for the same high price
  • They could stop ripping people off buy selling iMacs in 2019 with a 5400rpm HDD
  • Oh and about repair, maybe don't charge $550 to replace your stupid curved 1 piece back glass that is super glued to the phone
  • Again, focus on cooling for iMac and Mac Book!
  • Stop adding features and acting like they were invented by Apple, yes I know other companies do this too (Samsung, Huawei, etc.)
  • Let people do basic things with their iPhone without them having to resort to something like Jailbreaking
  • Stop removing things like the headphone jack. Yes, other companies did it too, but they wouldn't have if you didn't do it first. There are 2 main issues with Bluetooth headphones, the audio quality and reliability, and that AirPods are lost all the time because you didn't come up with a solution for that first
  • Stop with the proprietary connections, like lightning, we get you like money.
  • Actually teach apple store employees how to diagnose problems, instead of being like "oh display is cracked, replace display, gpu, board, and battery. $2000"
  • Don't try to stop companies who replace a display without your permission
  • How are you charging more than anyone for a phone, when the labor costs are so low, we always hear about the foxconn factories you use breaking labor laws and under paying.

I could go on all day, but you get the idea

On 10/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, floofer said:

Keep doing what they are doing. I've no problem with the Mac lineup. 

It's no secret that I'm very happy with my unit, and it will serve me for many years yet to come. 

They are good for some people, but they still have issues, like price.

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The point being ignored is being able to get my device repaired by someone other than Apple, who are notorious for shit repairs because they don't even do their own repairs. Apple needs to make their parts more easily available, and have prices that compete with other shops.

And no it isn't like obsessing over tires, most people won't notice a $100 tire from a $200 tire. The products are designed to be nearly impossible to repair even for well trained techs, its like spending $60k on a BMW then having to go to the dealer for repairs, as opposed to being smarter with money and getting a more reliable Lexus, or even a Mercedes. What makes the $80 battery better, because Apple says its better? If the battery was replaced by a reputable AASP they aren't going to risk their business using garbage parts, Apple is implying if you don't get a battery from them then everyone else doing repairs is bad.

No, the user would never know because the warning didn't come up,and the phone would work as new, anyone would know some trash fake display because those look worse than the factory displays on any decent phone, or a fake battery if the capacity to hold a charge is noticeably worse. But you're still missing the point here and defending Apple as if anti-right to repair built into the hardware down to the battery is a good thing.

Conveniently ignoring no phone is easy to repair these days... Also what makes 80€ battery from Apple better than 20€ battery from Chong Hong from eBay and then integrated by some random repair shop you ask? Quality assurance and responsibility for the service done. With battery from eBay you get none and you might even be at fault if your phone bursts into flames on an airplane and forces it to land or worse. Or if it bursts into flames in your pocket, injuring you? Are you going to sue Chong Hong? If Apple's battery does that, it'll be entirely on them. That's the difference. And it also negatively paints Apple as a brand if their phones catch fire while using non genuine batteries. No one will care that some jackass installed a crappy battery in it, everyone will talk how Apple's iPhone caught fire. NO ONE will ever say "uh oh but it was a cheap crappy battery". Especially not drama tabloids. And Apple (or any brand for that matter) doesn't want such negative publicity for someone elses fuckup. Just put yourself in charge of a brand and think if you'd like if your devices were getting negative publicity for something that's not even your fault?

While I get what you mean, I also get it why Apple is doing this. But you prefer to ignore it entirely and only look from user's perspective. It's just not that simple.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:28 PM, TempestCatto said:

It's simple, really. Here's a short list of stuff:

• User serviceable
  • 3rd party friendly
  • thermal design over artistic design
  • price competitively
  • use current gen parts
  • more hardware options
  • unlimited hardware support like Windows has
  • better support for games/Steam
  • remove "geniuses" from stores for actual trained technicians that don't scam you
  • replace a part instead of a whole new motherboard (as an example)
  • remove failure points from their hardware (such as weak hinges, stupid signal routing in the M/B, etc)
  • admit when they make a mistake and work to improve upon rather than bury or rehash it
  • not have a $1,000 monitor stand
  • add touchscreen option to most of their computer lineup
  • include normal ports on their computers such as USB type A, 3.5mm TRS female, RJ45, full size HDMI, etc
  • usb type C on iPhone and iPad (with full on support for connecting external devices)
  • expandable storage on iPhone and iPad
  • 3.5mm TRS female on iPhone and iPad
  • stop advertising with a pretentious and douchey attitude
  • MacOS should close a program when I click the red "X"
  • MacOs should have an option to place the minimize, cascade, and close buttons on the proper side for all windows

That's all I got for now, I'll probs add more later. I haven't used iOS or MacOS enough recently to have any more factpinions on them. 

Said everything I couldn't. I'm over the deign, give me smth that actually matters

On 10/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, The_Prycer said:

PORTS.

Having the single port on the MacBook Air is fine and dandy, but if I buy a PRO model MacBook that thing better come equipped with an RJ-45, USB 3.2, SDXC, Thunderbolt 3, and USB C ports.

Better Thermal solutions

Its no secret that Macs thermal throttle like its going out of style and instead resort to some impressive software trickery to keep their performance in Final Cut or Logic faster. If Apple decided to make a slightly bulkier unit that could better handle the thermals of the processors they used and applied better thermal paste, Macs would be a much better product.

Which is weird because iPhones have crazy good thermals so Apple obviously understands how to cool a product down.

Better keyboards

Just, better keyboards. I love my 2012 MacBook Pro's keyboard, but the newer models and even the stand alone keyboard are just disappointing to use.

Modularity

I don't want to be swapping CPUs out, but maybe don't solder the SoDIMMs and M.2 to the logic board with no option for replacement parts thanks to that T2 chip.

iMac as a standalone monitor

iMac's have beautiful displays, but once their internal tech becomes obsolete, you can't just use the beautiful display as a standalone monitor. Which is honestly a shame because they are such nice units.

There's probably other stuff, but my lunch break is ending.

At one point in time you could, I think it was the 2009 and/or 2010 27 inch imacs.

They should reduce their price (gadget price/services). To be honest this is the only reason I will not start using their products, since the value I get not worth it in comparison to their competitors.