What's the best way to learn another language?

Beef Boss

I've been really interested in learning other languages for most of my life but never knew really where to start. I know it's not an easy process, and there's one or two other languages I'd like to learn so the sooner I start the better. 

I would plan on actually using them, so like actually traveling there and talking in that language. So I mean an actual trainer would be ideal, but probably most expensive. And with college starting soon, that's not really an option lol. 

It would be nice to know how to write too. 

Tldr ; are there any website or programs that actually teach you languages well enough to converse in that languages native country? I know it'd probably take like a year or two to get basics down for speech anyway.. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Buy pimmsleur. 

Sample lesson 

There's a free app called Duolingo which is pretty good.  I like to use the voice to text feature on the translations.  It gives me more chances to practice speaking.

dUoLiNgO

i used memrise for a bit, it's eh

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I'm using Duolingo for Spanish right now.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

3 hours ago, veldora said:

I've been really interested in learning other languages for most of my life but never knew really where to start. I know it's not an easy process, and there's one or two other languages I'd like to learn so the sooner I start the better. 

I would plan on actually using them, so like actually traveling there and talking in that language. So I mean an actual trainer would be ideal, but probably most expensive. And with college starting soon, that's not really an option lol. 

It would be nice to know how to write too. 

Tldr ; are there any website or programs that actually teach you languages well enough to converse in that languages native country? I know it'd probably take like a year or two to get basics down for speech anyway.. 

If you're about to start College, I'd highly recommend you take an elective in a language course. Depending on the College, they might even offer the specific language or languages that you want to learn. Take those classes. You'll have an in person professor to ask questions, and you'll have an entire class to practice speaking with.

In terms of software, there are TONS of language learning applications. Rosetta Stone has been the big player for decades. There are newer apps and applications too now (especially on mobile) like DuoLingo, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would check whether there is a pimsleur course. If so, you should download it, and get the pdf handout printed. 

With that, you are good to start. For vocabulary and memorizing expressions, ANKI cards are excellent (anki app) 

And a good book clearly explaining grammar is certainly a nice thing to have. 

I should really focus on getting intermediate lvl from German. And I do find it difficult. 

I guess every language is different, in terms of what method one should use... 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

What captain_to_fire said!

Moving abroad, while scary, can be an awesome experience and really help you immerse yourself in the culture. Language and culture are intertwined and it really helps to solidify real world language skills when experiencing both. Classroom instruction is often the best way to learn quickly, but taking a class in the environment of the language is even better.

Massive exposure to the language with at minimum moderate intent to learn it, ideally in the real world.  But that said i know a good handful of weebs who somehow learned conversation japanese, can even read it, just by watching anime so really its just amount of time spent focused on it. 

All well, until you would want to learn classical latin or ancient greek, sanskrit or similar language : )

I'm just writing this, because knowledge of ancient greek was formerly a dream of mine. I guess it'll wait a few decades? : )

• 3 weeks later...

Threads a bit old but had a thought i'd like to ask.  Most of the people i know who atleast grew up knowing another language, on average, are better at being funny, memorizing lyrics to songs, etc.  I don't know how this transfers to people who sort-of know a second language, or vaguely can speak it, but people who can actually speak multiple have a serious verbal edge that pays off in a lot of ways i wouldn't expect (sense of humor, or atleast easily dishing out funny qoutes being one.)  Put simply their verbal, conversational memory seems much higher then average so coming up with something witty just seems to be much more second nature to them.  (This is all assuming said person would be bothered to be funny, in kind if they weren't i'd wonder if they find long-form academic writing easier)

This is ofc a hypothesis, but ive seen it very consistently in my lifetime.  Ive heard that speaking a second language "opens up different parts of the mind," but what and how that effects oneself in daily life is something i can only guess, in my case just noticing a much higher rate of socially vibrant, casually hilarious people. 

Depending on the language you want to learn, there are a number of resources both free and paid you can invest in.

Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone are both popular paid programs for language learning.

One of my preferred resources is a Book/CD series known as 'Conversational ________' you can find on many retail websites. Gets right in to it and the included audio CD lets you follow along with what you're reading.

You can also check the government website for that language's nation as they sometimes have resources for immigrants and your local library will likely have something you can check out.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

The best way to learn a language is to have an use for the language... people you can talk to with it on daily basis and alike.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

There is no 100% correct answer as learning can be different for everyone. 1 person might be awesome just reading a book to learn something while others like to sit in a classroom and have an instructor teach them. Usually the best way for language learning is to have been taught it while you are as young as possible. It has been shown that young kids have a much better grasp of learning languages and retaining the information faster then someone over 20+. Since this is not really an option the way I keep up with my 2nd and 3rd language is to take classes or converse with people who speak the language daily. There are usually university/collage classes that allow you to take the language courses to learn the language. I am a big classroom learner and learn way better then being on my own trying to memorize a book/course.

Good Luck with however you choose to learn, Language is a great tool and learning it is fun. 

3 hours ago, GodSeph said:

There is no 100% correct answer as learning can be different for everyone. 1 person might be awesome just reading a book to learn something while others like to sit in a classroom and have an instructor teach them. Usually the best way for language learning is to have been taught it while you are as young as possible. It has been shown that young kids have a much better grasp of learning languages and retaining the information faster then someone over 20+. Since this is not really an option the way I keep up with my 2nd and 3rd language is to take classes or converse with people who speak the language daily. There are usually university/collage classes that allow you to take the language courses to learn the language. I am a big classroom learner and learn way better then being on my own trying to memorize a book/course.

Good Luck with however you choose to learn, Language is a great tool and learning it is fun. 

When I do sign up for my courses for college, I will look to see if the language is there to learn, the medium used for learning isn't really an issue as most of my learning has been from books, but that's just because I read a lot outside of school classes.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, veldora said:

When I do sign up for my courses, I will look to see if the language is there to learn, the medium used for learning isn't really an issue as most of my learning has been from books, but that's just because I read a lot outside of school classes.

Signing up all depends where you are going. My local university allowed anyone to sign up for language classes as they are not something like high level physics used for doctoral candidates. I would assume going to their website and seeing if they have courses for the languages you wish to learn. note that like any schooling this could be costly. There are also online places that teach language but I cannot verify how these work or the results. I can only speak about my own experience since I was going to school anyways I needed some courses so I filled it with languages I already knew and could brush up on. 

Let's say you want to learn Spanish. Go for a year to drink tequila in Tijuana. For studying Russian for a year of vodka drinks in Moscow ..... etc ..... it may be a good idea to make an appointment for a liver transplant in advance.

52 minutes ago, D.U.F.F. said:

Let's say you want to learn Spanish. Go for a year to drink tequila in Tijuana. For studying Russian for a year of vodka drinks in Moscow ..... etc ..... it may be a good idea to make an appointment for a liver transplant in advance.

It'd be awesome to learn this way, I'd go fishing in the bay and drifting at night in Japan, and I'd be enjoying lunch meats in Germany with some beer.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Discipline first and foremost. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Yeah you should have somebody with whom you can talk to on a daily basis. Also use Quizlet as a learning Platform. I for example learn English through talking to you guys and we also use Quizlet in school.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Duolingo was my first start point with learning Spanish. If apps and websites aren't effective in teaching, a game I used to play is manually translating news and web articles from english to the language you want to learn and vice versa using google translate. Start off with short articles in your area of interest - games, sport, new tech news etc and translate them word by word using google translate. This is extremely useful for learning what the english word for something is in another language, but at the expense of grammar and diction. After you get more familiar in the language, try watching movies / tv shows / news / sports commentary in that language to pick up speaking mannerisms. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Yeah you should have somebody with whom you can talk to on a daily basis. Also use Quizlet as a learning Platform. I for example learn English through talking to you guys and we also use Quizlet in school.

And there is always an option for "exchanging". Let's suppose I want to learn German (what I should). I can ask someone, who has a good command of that tongue to discuss some stuff. In exchange, I can provide assistance either with English, or whatever.

I think YT is also a great resource, though most native Germans speak a bit fast for a beginner. Or at least I think so.

I always struggle with vocabulary, and that hinders progress quite significantly :( 

If you want to learn Chinese, you can download WeChat to add friends. Awkward conversations every day are fine. WeChat language translation read, is a good instant chat software.