Why don't monitors/ AIO have ports on the stand?

SuperCookie78

Whenever i see a monitor review or an all in one desktop I am always perplexed to see usb and audio jacks on back of the monitor. Why not have them on the stand where they are easily accessible? it wouldn't be hard (more so in aio) to have a usb B and an audio in on the back and use hidden pcb or even cables going to the bottom of the stand where it easily accessed. I would use those ports more then my desktop perhaps because they would be so easy to get to. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

For both it would be that it's just so much cheaper to not have them in the stand. On top of that, VESA mount compatibility (which is not present on many all-in-ones) is another reason not to bother.

There are some devices that do have this, but those are kind of the special AIOs. e.g. the Surface Studio and that HP 34" Curved AIO had ports on the stand instead of monitor side.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Because a lot of monitors are designed to work without stands... they have a VESA mount on the back ... 4 screw holes spaced at a standardized distance (10 cm or whatever)

In some offices, the monitors are screwed to walls or on VESA compatible "holders" that allow you to move the monitor away or rotate it or whatever.

image.png.b7ca86f69d5092e15837796e9286ce85.png

image.png.41272055129ce23c43b85f953b293956.png

1 minute ago, minibois said:

For both it would be that it's just so much cheaper to not have them in the stand. On top of that, VESA mount compatibility (which is not present on many all-in-ones) is another reason not to bother.

There are some devices that do have this, but those are kind of the special AIOs. e.g. the Surface Studio and that HP 34" Curved AIO had ports on the stand instead of monitor side.

What about on expensive aios like an iMac? it doesn't have vesa compatibility and apple can figure it out. its 9 contacts for usb 10gb and they could use these rotary contacts used in older vhs heads. because the monitor is moved so little the wear would be practically 0 (unlike in a vhs drum that spins at 1800rpm)

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

3 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

What about on expensive aios like an iMac? it doesn't have vesa compatibility and apple can figure it out. its 9 contacts for usb 10gb and they could use these rotary contacts used in older vhs heads. because the monitor is moved so little the wear would be practically 0 (unlike in a vhs drum that spins at 1800rpm)

You can though: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-vesa

And in my opinion/experience, I feel like people would be (understandably) mad if the VESA option would be gone.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

You can though: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-vesa

And in my opinion/experience, I feel like people would be (understandably) mad if the VESA option would be gone.

^^^ Exactly. Like the headphone jack being removed, but worse because no one wants the stand hanging awkwardly in the air when they VESA mount it. 

The iMac G4 did have ports on the "stand" because that was actually the computer itself:

imac-g4-primary-100652842-large.jpg.9044268f0b153c2687ff9f1b61e1a32c.jpg

imacg4IO.png.0f35973f6a9ad19122a65b1297c49d97.png

Newer iMacs can have the stand replaced with a VESA bracket so unless you're happy with what PowerPC offers you're not getting ports on the stand anytime soon.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Exactly. Like the headphone jack being removed, but worse because no one wants the stand hanging awkwardly in the air when they VESA mount it. 

The iMac G4 did have ports on the "stand" because that was actually the computer itself:

imac-g4-primary-100652842-large.jpg.9044268f0b153c2687ff9f1b61e1a32c.jpg

imacg4IO.png.0f35973f6a9ad19122a65b1297c49d97.png

Newer iMacs can have the stand replaced with a VESA bracket so unless you're happy with what PowerPC offers you're not getting ports on the stand anytime soon.

what about just having the user run the usb and audio cable to the stand and just have the port without having to go through the hinge? and if you are mounting with vesa in multi monitor setup then you usually don;t use the ports on the back anyway.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

1 minute ago, SuperCookie78 said:

what about just having the user run the usb and audio cable to the stand and just have the port without having to go through the hinge? and if you are mounting with vesa in multi monitor setup then you usually don;t use the ports on the back anyway.

What? I use the ports on the back of my VESA mounted monitors, where do you think I plug the HDMI and DP ports in? 

And how can you run the USB/Audio cable to the stand and just have a port there? What happens when you remove the stand, how is the port connected to the actual monitor? Most decent monitors have clips or a cutout in the rear of the monitor for this reason, so people can just route cables cleanly behind the stand to the rear ports, and there's no problems when the stand is removed for VESA mounting.  

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, SuperCookie78 said:

Whenever i see a monitor review or an all in one desktop I am always perplexed to see usb and audio jacks on back of the monitor. Why not have them on the stand where they are easily accessible? it wouldn't be hard (more so in aio) to have a usb B and an audio in on the back and use hidden pcb or even cables going to the bottom of the stand where it easily accessed. I would use those ports more then my desktop perhaps because they would be so easy to get to. 

Because it will offput everyone who wants to use a multimonitor setup with a monitor arm. I have used one for the last 3 years (I did move back to the original stands but that's cause it's easier to setup at uni that way) and having all the I/O on the monitor is better for that situation

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||