FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

15 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Well if your fans can't stop, you don't need activation %, so one less thing to worry about.

The trouble is the 3 case fans do actually stop when trying to detect the activation %, so I wanted to know why the software thinks they are still spinning when they have stopped?

Just now, h00ch said:

The trouble is the 3 case fans do actually stop when trying to detect the activation %, so I wanted to know why the software thinks they are still spinning when they have stopped?

Either the control sensors are not properly matched with the speed sensors ( Control cards -> Speed cards ), or the RPM readings are not working all together.

1 minute ago, Rem0o said:

Either the control sensors are not properly matched with the speed sensors ( Control cards -> Speed cards ), or the RPM readings are not working all together.

Nope, all that is fine.  I verified each Control/Speed card by individually and the RPM shown for each fan is accurate and the same in different monitoring apps.

spacer.png

@h00ch if you manually set a flat 0% curve to a control, does it stops and does its RPM on the card reads 0?

Ah, I see now...  setting the Curve to Flat-0% puts the Control % to 0%, but the Control's RPM only goes down to about 200 or 300 RPM, even though the fan is physically stopped.

I have two computers in my house, one is Intel based, the other is AMD. Argus Monitor works perfectly fine on both. FanControl v50 only works on the older Intel, and not on the new AMD. Could there be an underlying cause? Strange that Argus works, but neither FanControl nor OpenHWMonitor fully does.

Intel pc:

• i7-6700K
  • Gigabyte G170 HD3P, newest bios of F22G
  • Argus Monitor works
  • FanControl works
  • OpenHWMonitor works, shows all the fans and their RPMs in my case (1 cpu, 1 intake, 1 exhaust)

HTPC:

• Ryzen 3600
  • Asus TUF B450M Gaming Plus, most recent bios
  • Argus Monitor works
  • FanControl doesnt work, it can't even open correctly. It exists as an open application on my taskbar, but no screen will come up. Using the taskbar icon (bottom right) to open or view configs doesn't work
  • OpenHWMonitor only partial works. It shows all the temps, but it doesn't show any of the case fans or RPMs.
  • I can control fans just fine from Bios. And yes, they are all PWM

21 minutes ago, Rev_Night said:

Strange that Argus works, but neither FanControl nor OpenHWMonitor fully does.

Well Argus is a whole different software with its own proprietary drivers. FanControl uses OHM as its backend driver, so it is normal that both act the same. Your board is simply not supported as of now.

Oh right! So if OpenHW wont work, then FanControl wont work either. Makes sense.

I actually opened a ticket with OpenHW about my board like last month. No resolution yet.

5 minutes ago, Rev_Night said:

Oh right! So if OpenHW wont work, then FanControl wont work either. Makes sense.

I actually opened a ticket with OpenHW about my board like last month. No resolution yet.

Yeah the project doesn't have much activity these times arround.

Thats a pity. Oh well, at least I can use FC for my gaming pc. The Intakes/Exhaust being based off of both cpu and gpu temps. I can do the same thing in Argus, but I don't like how Argus forces me to close down OpenHW, and most importantly, MSI Afterburner. I use MSI AB to change volt/freq in my gpu. I can do the same thing in AMD Wattman, but that really is a buggy software and I would prefer not to use it.

This is awesome! I've been sticking with SpeedFan for ages, and I find out about this software just now?

Giving it a try right now!

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

On 10/8/2020 at 11:14 PM, Rev_Night said:

I have two computers in my house, one is Intel based, the other is AMD. Argus Monitor works perfectly fine on both. FanControl v50 only works on the older Intel, and not on the new AMD. Could there be an underlying cause? Strange that Argus works, but neither FanControl nor OpenHWMonitor fully does.

Intel pc:

• i7-6700K
  • Gigabyte G170 HD3P, newest bios of F22G
  • Argus Monitor works
  • FanControl works
  • OpenHWMonitor works, shows all the fans and their RPMs in my case (1 cpu, 1 intake, 1 exhaust)

HTPC:

• Ryzen 3600
  • Asus TUF B450M Gaming Plus, most recent bios
  • Argus Monitor works
  • FanControl doesnt work, it can't even open correctly. It exists as an open application on my taskbar, but no screen will come up. Using the taskbar icon (bottom right) to open or view configs doesn't work
  • OpenHWMonitor only partial works. It shows all the temps, but it doesn't show any of the case fans or RPMs.
  • I can control fans just fine from Bios. And yes, they are all PWM

I am having the same issue....but the other way around. Fancontrol works on my Gaming PC which is mainly AMD

MB ASROCK B550M Steel Legend

CPU 3500X

GPU VEGA 64 LC

but when I try to launch it on my Living room PC which  is INTEL and NVIDAI then nothing happens

MB GIGABYTE Z94N WIFI

CPU 4670k

GPU 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid

I uninstalled Speedfan on both machines and remove the task scheduler that was set  as Start-up setting so anybody understands what could be wrong here?

I definitively would like to replace Speedfan with Fancontrol on the 2nd PC as well

thanks so much

Olivier

14 hours ago, xeniachile said:

not working in laptop hpg4 2072la

I don't think it works for any laptop.

I recently discovered your great software that works perfectly with my PC. Thank you for that.

But would it be possible to change the color of the tray icon? With my bright Windows Theme the white fan is hardly visible in brightness. So it would be nice if you could also choose the color black.

image.png.0151509a7ad4a05b04139d3cd5990c58.png

And I noticed a small typo in the menu: It says "lond configuration" instead of "load configuration".

On 10/14/2020 at 8:27 AM, Doomy said:

And I noticed a small typo in the menu: It says "lond configuration" instead of "load configuration".

That's fixed already, don't know how it got there. I will look for the icon what could be done.

Thank you for your answer. I installed the newest Version 5.1 for Windows, but it says still "Lond configuration" in the menu.

image.thumb.png.d0f7de515006e132a2060bbb2ee03c63.png

@Rem0o Just created an account so I could drop you a note.  Great job on this app, just completed a long overdue new build for myself from an old fx8350/780ti to 3900x/2070s.  Stumbled upon this earlier this week and your app has it running cool and quiet, only ramping up when necessary whether its gaming or converting videos to h265. Dropped you a donation 48hrs after installing. Really excited to watch this app keep evolving. Recommending to anyone, and preinstalling on any other performance builds I do for people.  

image.thumb.png.82c0f30193ce9534d47b72a3d69a490d.png

3 hours ago, Doomy said:

Thank you for your answer. I installed the newest Version 5.1 for Windows, but it says still "Lond configuration" in the menu.

I meant in my dev build, still haven't released it.

Hi Rem0o,

Firstly, thank you for your commitment to developing a new fan software, the market seems very stale and your addition to it is positive!

I've installed and used your software briefly (and will continue to fiddle with it after this message) but would LOVE for you to try add a PID fan control curve, as explained below.

PID control with a target temperature setpoint would be a great addition to your software as it can pretty much tick all the boxes an enthusiast needs in setting fan profiles.

Much like the basic principles of SpeedFan, where one sets a target temp and can change the increase in fan percentage, a PID control would allow for much more advanced and precise control over achieving a set point.

For myself, I have set my Speed fan to target 62C on the CPU with 1% increments for fan speed, this achieves very slow ramp up speed however allows the fans to not jump up and down much (akin to having hysteresis). Alternatively, I could have my CPU set point at 62C but with a 10% increment for fan speed, this ramps up much faster but does not offer precise fan control once the temperature settles under load. I would love for the fans to ramp up fast and then settle so that under normal loads they are not always ramping. 

The diagram below shows that with tuning (the user's job via interface) almost any response can be achieved.

PID fan control on a PC has been my dream for years, I hope you can help make it come true :)

Thank you!

Lets Talk PID

9 hours ago, Daleyb93 said:

PID control with a target temperature setpoint would be a great addition to your software [...]

I have a degree in engineering, so I played quite a bit with PID and stuff like that. I considered it and did a quick prototype a while back, but it just doesn't work well for this application. The temperature changes are way to erratic and fast while the relation between fan speed and temperature is too slow and indirect to make anything practical out of this.