Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

What about a video on where Linus thinks tech will go in ten years 

So, to answer the last prompt from this week's WAN Show: I have searched a lot, but how do you build the ultimate multi-purpose machine? I envision this as a blend between the ultimate small business accessible server rack and LMG's server rack, mixed with the essentials of that of the data recovery services you've covered this past year, your newest $40k PC Rig, and a true purpose built Forensic and Neural-net machine.... I'm looking to build a single machine to game off of, establish a PI service, Artificial Intelligence and machine learning supported data-recovery small business, and still be able to tinker in a Virtual Machine or 2.... I like the concept of the "6 editors, 1 PC/$40k PC"..... but alas I probably only have $3-6k....

... scaling down, its hard to figure out how to optimize the PCI-e expansion slots, dual-cpu vs single core bleeding edge cpu, and hot-swap-able bays for external 3.5in and 2.5in drives while maintaining dual monitors as a new build under $5-6k max...... Right now I figure:

1x 2080TI = $1100

1x Intel i9x7980XE=$1700

1x  Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P1T0BW  =  $630

-----

$3430 already.... Excluding a quadro or titan V, + cooling, power, motherboard.... etc

I believe there's plenty of others out there looking to build efficient, multi-purpose builds that while not reaching the full-scale 'realm of the possible' builds you've done with the $40k PC, are looking to maximize their multi-purpose builds at the best value... which (at least in the past 2 years) it doesn't appear you've (or any other popular tech-tuber has) built- a single or dual user "super-effective work / play machine" that could single-highhandedly be used to in the same weekend to: play the next-gen games for the next 3 yrs near max quality on 1080p | process business tasks such as forensic data recovery and complex calculations in support of data mining or recovery operations | and be used to develop an early gen cognitive AI.  Totally understand an ideal system should cost closer to $20k, but the concept of building a multipurpose system at future-adaptive capacity (and swap-ability) requires a deeper understanding of hardware and software integration which should warrant a comprehensive overview for all aspiring gamer/entrepreneur audiences.

Video suggestion on building compact yet very powerful and 24/7 reliable 3D rendering/animation workstation with slim cabinet and looks like HP workstation with dedicated cooling and graphics card.

it can be team blue or red but it needs to be powerful enough in terms of Cine bench scores. 

Side-by-side of different paid apps that claim to do the same thing

Internet throttling and net neutrality

THE TERRIBLE THUNDERBOLT SUPPORT ON PC

Alright Linus, you just did a video on Google's choice in Cartography but now it's time to get serious. I want you to make either a Tech Quicky or possibly even a full LTT episode dedicated to a topic that has been driving me up the goddamn wall for weeks. That is to address the absolutely abysmal support of Thunderbolt, especially protocol 3,  from motherboard manufacturers. First, let me provide a little backstory with how I became involved with this topic. So recently I was looking at a high end, ultra-low latency Audio interface for my music production. This is because I play the piano into my DAW and listen to the effects in real-time. This led me towards a few really nice options from Universal Audio and PreSonus, some TB2 and others TB3. This is where the problem of how I can connect these beautiful devices to my z270 system (i5-7600k & Asus Hero Maximus IX) began. This question opened up an intensive investigation and along the way, I made some interesting discoveries. The first thing I found out was that the USB-C port on my motherboard is not Thunderbolt. This sounds simple now but it actually caused me a lot of confusion in the early stages of my investigation. After that, I looked for motherboards that did have native TB3 support. I was shocked after hours of looking through Newegg,  to find only two models that have such support, The ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX and Gigabyte X299 Designer EX which occupy two different ends of the market. Obviously, I'm not interested in upgrading to one of these systems so I needed to find a way to simply add Thunderbolt 3 to my system. The obvious course to take was a PCIe add-in card that I could just plug in and be on my merry way but holy shit was I surprised when I went looking. There are only a handful of cards on the market and they are all fairly expensive.  Asus and Gigabyte are the only 2 OEM motherboard manufacturers that make TB3 cards and they only support their own boards. At this point, I was actually feeling pretty lucky because Asus makes a card called the ThunderboltEX 3 that has support for my motherboard. However, the reviews were overwhelmingly negative on Newegg with only two eggs and users claiming terrible reliability, very low life expectancy and a complicated setup procedure with vague instructions. It seriously sounds like Asus did not give a rats ass about this product. These things need to be addressed along with the following questions. Why is thunderbolt so rare on pc and what compromises would motherboard manufacturers need to make in order to provide it? Why will you only find thunderbolt on Intel-based systems? Why is it so common on laptops and compact AIO desktops? What are the applications for thunderbolt on PC's (customs and prebuilt) vs laptops and compact AIO’s? What is the future for Thunderbolt in the pc space? How do you properly enable Thunderbolt support in the bios for add-in cards? If you covered these topics you would be the first channel to make a video that explains everything for any pc user that is interested in Thunderbolt support for their rig that isn't just “go buy a Mac lol”. When it really comes down to it one of the biggest problems I faced with this topic was just the absolute lack of helpful information out there. Every forum and video I found would just repeat the exact same shit about specs, backwards compatibility and the fact it uses a type c connector. Do the community a favour by saving people from the pain and frustration of figuring this out on their own. Also, I guarantee a million views. 

idea for techquickie: explain sound quality settings

on my mb i can set anything from 16Bits 44100Hz to 32Bits 192000Hz so i was wondering whats the difference between all those settings, is there any performance impact in gaming etc, does it even make sense to set higher quality when i use 2+1 speakers? i got my answer but i think that might be good idea for video for you guys ;]

A Tech-Quickie (update) on UTP, F/UTP and STP ethernet cables and the differences between Cat5(e), Cat 6, Cat7(a) and Cat8 cables. Inbetween you could link to this video on how to crimp a cable (or make an update on that video aswell or include this info in this Tech-Quickie)  

Here is the old vid btw: 

Normal Pc Power Consumption of PC does it use full psu?

OR

How do new objects to be released get leaked(ex: Mobiles,Laptops,CPU'S,GPU'S etc)

I think there should be one Techquickie video going through all the commonly used connectors and interfaces today, their full forms and simple uses.

Could you explain the differences between chipsets and importance when choosing a new motherboard?

Explaining distributed computing like folding@home and BOINC! We have had loads of people ask what it is since it was added to the discord! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Reviewing the Google Home Hub is something that I'd like to see. I've never been too interested in the smart market, so don't know a great deal about it. But something like the Home Hub would be good to have as a smart speaker and to view basic information (especially useful in the kitchen for cooking, etc). Like I said, I don't know loads about this kind of product, so it'd be nice to see a decent real-use type of review that LTT often do.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

On 4/25/2013 at 11:11 AM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Hey Linus, If you have not done it yet do a vid on Pin Grid Aray Processors Vs Land Grid Aray Processors...

Recently I was asked about why some websites only work on Internet Explorer and some work in all browsers. I think this would be a good idea for a Tech quickie and it would be great to be able to send to my staff!

19 minutes ago, Risky_Kangaroo said:

Recently I was asked about why some websites only work on Internet Explorer and some work in all browsers. I think this would be a good idea for a Tech quickie and it would be great to be able to send to my staff!

The long and short would be because some websites have dependencies on older plugins (such as Microsoft Silverlight)

Edited by Minibois
I initially posted this when the post above mine was a different thread, I removed the part where I suggested the user should post here .

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/