Help with Used Server Parts

Looking to upgrade my currentUNraid box to something that can easily support more HDDs and SSDs, 10G networking, multiple GPUs and IPMI. Currently I use mine for Plex and a single VM. I am looking to expand to running security cameras out of it and maybe a TV tuner for Plex. 

Current System:

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.0 GHz

ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

24GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz

Nvidia Quadro 2000 (Unraid display GPU)

Nvidia Quadro K4000

1 x 240 GB Sata SSD (Unraid cache drive)

3 x 8TB WD Red (2 parity, 1 data)

1 x 4TB WD Red (data)

1 x 4TB WD Blue (data)

2 x Seagate Barracuda (data)

Lian Li PC-A77F

My biggest issue is that I am out of SATA ports (6 on mobo and 2 on pcie-to-sata card). I could buy a larger pcie-to-sata card, but I only have the one pcie x1 slot so I would be replacing the existing one. Luckily I am in no need for more storage and shouldn't be for a while so this isn't a pressing issue. However, I would like to have to ability to add 3 more cache drives for a btrfs raid 10 and a WD purple drive or two for the security cameras.

The single socket configuration is about $700. I don't want to go much higher than that, but can if I can get a good value. Here is what I am thinking for the new build. I would appreciate any feedback as I am new to this class of parts.

Potential New System:

Xeon E5-2680 V3 12 core (Possibly 2 for a dual socket motherboard)

Supermicro X10SRL-F/SuperMicro X10DRi (NEEDS to be standard EATX/ATX)

32 GB DDR4 2133 RDIMM

Noctua NH-D9L

LSI 9211-8i (SAS card for HDD array, SSDs will be attached to SATA 3 on motherboard)

Intel X540-T2

Keeping the same case.

Let me know if I am missing anything or can improve on the build. Thank you!

Just keep in mind that sas card doesn't support raid so you'll need to use the motherboard itself if you need raid.

oh and i recommend using supermicro server heatsinks as you really won't be overclocking anyway and they are a lot smaller and more efficient

How about a Threadripper motherboard with a nice cheap 8 core Threadripper?

You can get a Threadripper 1900x for 260$ : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BvgPxr/amd-threadripper-1900x-38ghz-8-core-processor-yd190xa8aewof

Motherboards...

$240 ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

You have 8 sata ports, 2.5g + 1g ethernet, 3 m.2 slots, 8 slots of memory.

for a bit more you can get loads of pci-e x16 slots and same stuff:

$280 GIGABYTE X399 AORUS PRO sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

You have 5 pci-e x16 slots, nicely spaced so you can use 2 big video cards and a bunch of thin cards without problems.

You can use standard ECC or non-ECC ram, you can start with 4 sticks and go from there...

Hit eBay for a 10g ethernet card or something like 70$ on an Aquantia 10g card

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

How about a Threadripper motherboard with a nice cheap 8 core Threadripper?

You can get a Threadripper 1900x for 260$ : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BvgPxr/amd-threadripper-1900x-38ghz-8-core-processor-yd190xa8aewof

Motherboards...

$240 ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

You have 8 sata ports, 2.5g + 1g ethernet, 3 m.2 slots, 8 slots of memory.

for a bit more you can get loads of pci-e x16 slots and same stuff:

$280 GIGABYTE X399 AORUS PRO sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

You have 5 pci-e x16 slots, nicely spaced so you can use 2 big video cards and a bunch of thin cards without problems.

You can use standard ECC or non-ECC ram, you can start with 4 sticks and go from there...

Hit eBay for a 10g ethernet card or something like 70$ on an Aquantia 10g card

I have thought about Threadripper, but I want an IPMI port which AMD doesn't have.

40 minutes ago, emosun said:

Just keep in mind that sas card doesn't support raid so you'll need to use the motherboard itself if you need raid.

I'm not using hardware raid. I am using Unraid which has it's own filesystem level RAID. I just need the SATA ports.

22 minutes ago, emosun said:

oh and i recommend using supermicro server heatsinks as you really won't be overclocking anyway and they are a lot smaller and more efficient

The issue with those is they may not have a fan and this will not be in a server chassis with that level of airflow. I need something that will perform well in a standard desktop chassis.

4 minutes ago, xl3b4n0nx said:

The issue with those is they may not have a fan and this will not be in a server chassis with that level of airflow. I need something that will perform well in a standard desktop chassis.

they will perform just fine in a desktop

I only say it because sometimes aftermarket heat sinks don't fit supermicro boards , and because they perform pretty well and cost less. you can buy the noctua but it's going to mostly be for the visual look and not effect performance.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

they will perform just fine in a desktop

I only say it because sometimes aftermarket heat sinks don't fit supermicro boards , and because they perform pretty well and cost less. you can buy the noctua but it's going to mostly be for the visual look and not effect performance.

How is the noise level with those?

2 minutes ago, xl3b4n0nx said:

it would depend on the fans , speed , and temperature.

i generally don't care about noise levels as my machine tend to be separate from the peripherals

I understand that. Eventually I will do the same, but I am in a townhouse now and can't separate the machine how I would like. So noise level has to be a factor for the time being. 

Since nobody mentiopned it, I just wanna point out that cameras and most camera softwares are rather write + CPU intensive. I recommend having a separate physical box for them because any other VM you throw on their host will suffer for it. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

I was going to get a WD purple drive or two dedicated for that purpose and this would be a 12 core cpu with 2 to for physical cores dedicated to the VM. Possibly 2 12 cores if I get a dual socket board. 

Can I get a dual socket board and run it with one CPU for the time being and buy a second one later?

With respect to video recording, there are pieces of specific hardware equipment for this type of application, a hard drive that was made to support the constant recording of video is the SkyHawk, more details below in case you are interested in seeing the specs:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 7/5/2019 at 1:01 AM, emosun said:

ZFS?

Technology is NEVER easy :(

On 7/5/2019 at 3:01 AM, xl3b4n0nx said:

I was going to get a WD purple drive or two dedicated for that purpose and this would be a 12 core cpu with 2 to for physical cores dedicated to the VM. Possibly 2 12 cores if I get a dual socket board. 

Can I get a dual socket board and run it with one CPU for the time being and buy a second one later?

usally most Mobos need both CPUS to boot(varies from mobo to mobo refer to manual and specs). They also need to be the same ones or you CANT boot. 

Technology is NEVER easy :(

On 7/4/2019 at 5:49 PM, xl3b4n0nx said:

Noise levels will be way better if you go with NH-U12DX i4. It's the best CPU cooler you can get if you want something that is quiet. 

14 hours ago, Trilex said:

usally most Mobos need both CPUS to boot(varies from mobo to mobo refer to manual and specs). They also need to be the same ones or you CANT boot. 

That is unfortunate. I will look into this specific board, but I was hoping to use one CPU now and upgrade later.

That is false information though. You do not need 2 CPUs in a dual socket motherboard.
What happens when you use only one CPU is that often some of the PCIe slots won't work (as they are wired to CPU2) and half the RAM slots won't work.