The Manliest Laptop Ever – Dell Rugged Extreme Review

JonoT

The Dell Rugged Extreme is basically indestructible, but why would anyone need that?

Buy: The Dell Rugged Extreme
On Amazon: https://geni.us/EITkq
On Newegg: https://geni.us/Zhe5jc

Get your first audiobook and 2 Audible Originals free when you try Audible for 30 days. Visit http://www.audible.com/linus or text linus to 500500

Save 10% at Ridge Wallets by using offer code LTT at Https://www.ridgewallet.com/LTT

What? Don't you want to play minesweeper after the nukes hit and you are the sole survivor of the human race?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yep, got one of these in 2017. Testing in one of our Prisoner Transport Vans. The vehicle doesn't get used too often but the laptop has been holding up great.

Wow this thing is an engineering marvel! And here I was expecting to find this laptop using a Celeron or a Pentium with integrated graphics! But it has an RX540 and an i7 8650u!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I have to say I was little triggered by the intro at first, but I guess enough was done to differentiate it from the video that surely inspired it, but just barely.  I saw all the comments praising the intro and then scrolled way down to see the one comment that actually got the reference.  Not saying any copyright laws were violated, but it did have a slight twinge of plagiarism. I would feel different if it were some famous movie and not an 11 year old YouTube video, or if it were actually referenced in the description or something.

For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about just search "Mantage" on YouTube, it was uploaded by BaratsAndBereta

It would be helpful if you are looking to review industrial laptops to compare them with market competitors such as:

- Panasonic Toughbook (used some local police forces)

- Getac laptops (used in the industrial and resource sector)

I have used both of the above systems for infield work and would appreciate a relative comparison as the review seems a bit uninformed.

Edit: and I would like to echo the horrible gender stereotype of the title as most of the rugged laptop uses I know personally are women that are geoscientists working infield and underground (definitely using the specs of the systems).

Why would Linus suggest someone to read a book while kayaking? Most of the time it's safe, but those things can tip easily making you lose your life or worst your phone.

As for the laptop, why the hell would you put RGB in it? You're never going to see that on in a cop car having a miniature disco party in the cabin, that crap is going to be 100% off...

I did manage to watch this video last night. I did mention we are testing one of these Dells as opposed to the Panasonic Toughbooks, but ours isn't fully loaded like that. The IO is definitely necessary and if they had a model with 3 RJ-45 ports we could totally use that!

@Brad Man mentioned Getac, I'll look into those as well.

18 hours ago, Ibanez343 said:

I have to say I was little triggered by the intro at first, but I guess enough was done to differentiate it from the video that surely inspired it, but just barely.  I saw all the comments praising the intro and then scrolled way down to see the one comment that actually got the reference.  Not saying any copyright laws were violated, but it did have a slight twinge of plagiarism. I would feel different if it were some famous movie and not an 11 year old YouTube video, or if it were actually referenced in the description or something.

For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about just search "Mantage" on YouTube, it was uploaded by BaratsAndBereta

Oh I considered it a pure parody/homage to the Mantage and there is a card pointing to the OG Mantage at the end of the intro.  

5 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

As for the laptop, why the hell would you put RGB in it? You're never going to see that on in a cop car having a miniature disco party in the cabin, that crap is going to be 100% off...

Apparently it's actually really useful for techs when deploying a bunch of laptops, so they can change the colour of the keyboard on each laptop based on what network or loadout it has.

5 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Oh I considered it a pure parody/homage to the Mantage and there is a card pointing to the OG Mantage at the end of the intro.  

Right you are there is a card, I never really notice cards after YouTube nerfed them ?

8 minutes ago, Ibanez343 said:

Right you are there is a card, I never really notice cards after YouTube nerfed them ?

Yeah they're basically useless now, and you can't even point them out in video because they go different places depending on what platform you're on.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:12 PM, Alexsolo said:

Big use in the industrial, mechanic/automotive industries, as well as standard issue in first responder vehicles, like Ambulances, Firetrucks, Police Cruisers, etc...

Here in Europe the use all (what I know) Panasonic Devices.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:28 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

after the nukes hit

I dont think that the "standard" who sold on the Marked are EMP Proofe. But I ask the Local Product Mananger for.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:11 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

And here I was expecting to find this laptop using a Celeron or a Pentium with integrated graphics!

The biggest Custommer is the US Miliary. The need Graphic Power.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:30 AM, Brad Man said:

In my Case the Graphic Card is much to weack.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, Egg-Roll said:

why the hell would you put RGB in it?

Because it cost less than nothing and in the Military, Hunting,.. you need a Red Light to prevent it from spotting you.

I need a Tablet my self for some special Purpose. Sadly the are that expencive.

From AT. :x

Nope the Rugged Dell are for the (US) Military at first.

The also have an Rugged Server for Tanks and Armored Vehicle.

It cannot claim to a manly laptop when it lacks a BBQ.  

Dell plz fix. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

14 hours ago, Required said:

The biggest Custommer is the US Miliary. The need Graphic Power.

Indeed they do, but at the same time, it is very impressive that Dell managed to pack that much computing power into such a rugged chassis. As despite how thick these things are, due to things like the need for ingress protection, drop resistance, low/ high pressure resistance, low/high temperature resistance and etc., they have major thermal constraints. Thereby I find the fact that they could fit that much power into such a chassis mind blowing.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

The IP rating is great in industry. I support a bunch of factories and something that tends to kill units is they fill up with this really great grease-like particulate. Removing it is labor intensive since it can't just be blown out with compressed air. With ruggedized cleaning out the fan assembly its super quick whereas standard laptops will just fill up with it. 

We don't mess with the RGB but I'd imagine switching it to red during the night or something would be nice? Instead we use BgInfo somewhat heavily. 

If you want to continue this series take a look at Caterpillar's android phones. They are rugged and have FLIR cameras built-in. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

On 5/22/2019 at 3:30 PM, Brad Man said:

It would be helpful if you are looking to review industrial laptops to compare them with market competitors such as:

- Panasonic Toughbook (used some local police forces)

I have used both of the above systems for infield work and would appreciate a relative comparison as the review seems a bit uninformed.

Edit: and I would like to echo the horrible gender stereotype of the title as most of the rugged laptop uses I know personally are women that are geoscientists working infield and underground (definitely using the specs of the systems).

bring one of each to the case toss at LTX

I used the "rugged" Dells when I was in the Army (2008-2010) this looks like a MASSIVE step backwards in quality of durability. The Dell Laptop we had was a model of Ispirion so rugged we literally ran the demo unit (thing looked like a Nuke Football if you get the reference) over with a Hemett and it's attached 3 Phase Radar Trailer (both about ten tons) just to see if the BS the Rep was telling us was true. Long story short Alpha Battery (my unit) bought 10 units with Brigade buying even more. We ran one over upon delivery to double check and mainly as we were bored from hurrying up to wait. (finishing work to fast and having to sit around waiting for Sarge to give new random work or the declaration of a Ninja Ball)

P.S. We did need to correct a guy in the Combatives Pit when he use one as a rear chalk block in the field and forgot it.

• 1 year later...

😍 I bought there Tablet:

For me its imporant to have a Tablet for Outdoor Amateur Radio stuff where you be out there maybe its "just" a Parking Lot next to a Bus Station on the Touristy Hill but when its start to Rain well the Amateur Radio Contest dont stop for you. The same for other Outdoor stuff. Train, Plane Tickets are not refundable just because it Rain or Snow in the Winter.