9600K vs 8700K(no HT)?

In games, how would a 9600K OC'ed to 5.0Ghz compare to an 8700K also OC'ed to 5.0Ghz, but where it's HyperThreading is turned off?  Intel CPU's have had a LOT of issues lately, most around their HT technology, so getting a CPU without HT or getting one an turning it off, which would be the best option other than a 9700K?

In games, pretty similar, but in productivity it would benefit the extra cores / threads

better option Ryzen 3700.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, Gerr said:

In games, how would a 9600K OC'ed to 5.0Ghz compare to an 8700K also OC'ed to 5.0Ghz, but where it's HyperThreading is turned off?  Intel CPU's have had a LOT of issues lately, most around their HT technology, so getting a CPU without HT or getting one an turning it off, which would be the best option other than a 9700K?

they would perform the same, as long as they're clocked the same

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, Gerr said:

how would a 9600K OC'ed to 5.0Ghz compare to an 8700K also OC'ed to 5.0Ghz, but where it's HyperThreading is turned off?

In that scenario, they'd perform exactly the same.

Same architecture, same clock, same core count, same multithreading configuration.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9600k does have some mitgations in hardware that will help performance.

8700k has more l3 cache

Very small performance difference though.

Same cache or different?

NM, previous posted answered this.

4 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Same cache or different?

12m vs 9m of l3, won't be a big performance difference for most programs though. 

The 9600k is basically a cheaper 8700k with no hyper-threading. In gaming, they will perform almost identically; because games usually leverage single core performance rather than multi-core performance. If you're video editing (or any other task defined as "productivity") the 8700k will perform better; because productivity tasks more often than not benefit greatly from more cores.

A friend of mine wanted to get the 8700k, but I talked him into getting a 9600k instead, because all he does on his PC is game. He's happy with the $100+ he saved. 

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Don’t get too exited about these HT vulnerabilities. This isn’t a serious concern for the average consumer. The amount of media coverage is not equal to the risk of the vulnerability.

for example there was a windows rdp bug found recently so scary that Microsoft even went back and released a patch for XP... 10000000000000x higher risk to people than these HT issues yet not interesting for the tech influencers so no coverage.

3 hours ago, Gerr said:

Like, identically

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

If someone wants to steal the info off of my 8700k rig, they're just gonna find out how boring I am, so I might as well keep the performance.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.