US DOE supercomputers wins for AMD, Intel, nothing new for nvidia.

porina
1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Because DoE is making a big push in to Open Source systems and software and AMD is more conducive to that.

On the technology front AMD has the lead there too, higher CPU rack density and PCIe lanes per CPU. Then also AMD is a major player in the up coming accelerator card interconnect standards like CCIX where Intel has basically no part in those (Nvidia too), pursuing their own.

Cray is the perfect partner because they are very experienced in interconnect technologies so you have pretty much the all star team to pull of something good using all new technology with high chance of success. Without someone like Cray AMD would not be in the preferred candidate position, even with the better technology.

nice point

this could actually push a lot forward for amd

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

I find it rather interesting there has been a contract commitment for a GPU we know so little about. That's some rather strong confidence in a product that as far as I know is at early generation engineering samples at best, though I admit I know next to nothing about Xe other than it's going to be a thing.

Another little piece of info...

image_2019_05_08T20_08_25_359Z_575px.png.095d33bd427b270fc9999e0d015b2821.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14311/intel-process-technology-update-10nm-server-products-in-1h-2020-accelerated-7nm-in-2021

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 5/7/2019 at 10:15 PM, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Does AMD have a new architecture or are they building the supercomputer on gcn ? Sounds more like a supernova than a supercomputer if thats the case. 

It actually might be a custom NAVI Version with HBM that is made exclusively for them.

If they pay enough, AMD would do whatever they want, if they have the technology.

Its said to be built in 2021, so they still have a whole year to make the chip they want.

Intel Xe is also not yet available either.

What is really interesting is that its an AMD System with AMD GPU -> IF, CCIX or so??

And the Intel/Intel System. Intel also announced a proprietary Interconnect they will use (forgot the name)...

That shows the main Problem, that nVidia doesn't have X86 CPUs or access to x86 CPus.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 5/7/2019 at 6:30 AM, GabeThePCHelper said:

But can it run minesweeper? Or Minecraft?

Argonne Nat. Laboratory replies, "Definitely. Crysis and beyond!"

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Lisa Su is a formidable player in the whole selling game,  she worked very hard to secure both Xbox and PS hardware contracts, I have no doubt she offered very compelling hardware specs and probably the ability to customize the hardware during the design process.  It also would surprise me if the icing on the cake was a few dollars saved too.

A good podcast on how AMD went from survival to being a real threat to Intel & Nvidia:

Enjoy! ^_^

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Found an old LTT vid from 2 years ago...........

It's a fascinating sneak peak into how AMD and Intel are building EXAFLOP supercomputers! ^_^

Why are you replying to a 5 month old thread?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones