Microsoft Should be VERY Afraid of Linux Gaming

47 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Xfwm4 sucks on anything else than 60hz, are you using a 144Hz monitor?
Also xfwm doesn't play nice with games, the developer refuses to "bloat" its code for a desktop meant for light PC's
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfwm4/+bug/1087242

Just using a regular 60Hz monitor. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

1 hour ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Just using a regular 60Hz monitor. 

Were you playing a game?

19 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Were you playing a game?

For testing purposes I only played HL1 and EDGE (Indie game, not the browser obviously). Both games have shown a significant decrease in 'fps' when resolution/refresh rate changed. 

Desktops

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

4 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

For testing purposes I only played HL1 and EDGE (Indie game, not the browser obviously). Both games have shown a significant decrease in 'fps' when resolution/refresh rate changed. 

I bet it's something to do with the compositor, try to disable it manually. Sadly it's not something the xfce developers seem to care about speaking of games

6 hours ago, bradwiggo said:

For gaming, I see little advantage to windows. One could argue price is an advantage, but you can just run Windows for free. 

If it’s pre-installed, why change to Linux? 

55 minutes ago, floofer said:

Because you want a system that doesn't go FUBAR every other Patch Tuesday?  Or because you want something that runs on older or low-end hardware?

Or because you are fed up with constantly having to set up everything how you want it, only to have Microsoft change the settings with every update and reinstall stuff that you really don't want? 

on topic : if this is the kind of videos that we get whenever Linus is not around, I'd suggest firing Linus instead of Jake. 

1 hour ago, floofer said:

I can think of some reasons

1) People just want to try an alternative as they are not happy with how windows is becoming

2) resurrecting an old PC (but it's not the case to play games here so you would just do basic usage here)

3) You are a free software fan

4)

Spoiler

hipster

But in all those cases you have to be lucky your hardware is supported, as you have said those PC's come with Windows preinstalled and have vendor support only for it

It would be better to just chose supported hardware (for desktops) and for laptops just buy supported OEM ones (like some Dell XPS)

When you use Linux in a way that looks and feels very similar to Windows, you aren't getting the most out of it. Here's an example of what I mean:

Spoiler

What about video editing on Linux? Adobe Premiere/After Effects

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Because you want a system that doesn't go FUBAR every other Patch Tuesday?  Or because you want something that runs on older or low-end hardware?

Or because you are fed up with constantly having to set up everything how you want it, only to have Microsoft change the settings with every update and reinstall stuff that you really don't want? 

Those issues are rather smaller than you make it.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, Chunchunmaru_ said:

but 5 years ago you wouldn't even imagine about running DX11 on some Linux API,

True

On 4/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, Chunchunmaru_ said:

or even valve supporting Linux

Well, 5-6 years ago is when Valve launched SteamOS, so...

ecause you want a system that doesn't go FUBAR every other Patch Tuesday? 

Then avoid Linux, run Unix.

Or because you want something that runs on older or low-end hardware?

Unless you're running on hardware from the XP era, Windows 10 runs.

31 minutes ago, floofer said:

Those issues are rather smaller than you make it.

Basically, Windows' real issue is scale. No matter how small a percentage of users experience an issue with Windows, it's still numerically alot of users because there are exponentially more Windows users than Linux users.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

47 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Basically, Windows' real issue is scale. No matter how small a percentage of users experience an issue with Windows, it's still numerically alot of users because there are exponentially more Windows users than Linux users.

That’s a good point too. It’s also why there is an issue of viruses. More people have it, more targets etc.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, ThaChillera said:

Or until april 30th, when they drop support ??

BWAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZING!

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Then avoid Linux, run Unix.

Yeah good luck with that. Games that suck on Linux, suck even harder on Mac. 

If you install other Unix OS like solarious, steam is not even available

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

I bet it's something to do with the compositor, try to disable it manually. Sadly it's not something the xfce developers seem to care about speaking of games

Yeah that pretty much solved it. Had to download an extra package (compton or something) so that I not only could fix the refresh rate, but also the tearing I was getting, something I didn't mention in the previous post.

Desktops

sry when I dont real all but I want play a lot of old Games like Hitman 1 and newer like Crysis.

How to deal with the DRM shit? The make still Trouble under Win7 and there are some "fix" for.

The same for some old(er) Win Games there are some fix for Win7 does the still work with Wine (or how the spelled)?

The major problem is there language barrier with Linux stuff. For young People who dont speak English its hard or impossible to learn stuff.

From AT. :x

No support for mods in GTA V I dont think. And no support at all for Prepare3D.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I'm sure Microsoft is quaking in their boots, that the piecemeal rubbish that is Linux, is coming for them. What utter tosh! The advice contained in the video, is total rubbish btw, nothing works as you have said. Linux is still a bloody nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to go try to go to linux gaming, but I have absolutely no insight into this...

Can someone who has already made the step, what distro I should go into knowing it would mostly be for steam games (Project cars 2 VR, Warframe, Dark souls series... ) and discord.

Also another question: For a game I wish to run on both linux and windows, can they share files or do I need separate files for linux and windows ? or is it more of a 3rd option with most of the files common and some specific ?

Config:

i7 4790K

Strix GTX 1070

M.2 main drive

6 hours ago, PEagle said:

I'm about to go try to go to linux gaming, but I have absolutely no insight into this...

Can someone who has already made the step, what distro I should go into knowing it would mostly be for steam games (Project cars 2 VR, Warframe, Dark souls series... ) and discord.

Also another question: For a game I wish to run on both linux and windows, can they share files or do I need separate files for linux and windows ? or is it more of a 3rd option with most of the files common and some specific ?

Config:

i7 4790K

Strix GTX 1070

M.2 main drive

I'd recommend Pop!_OS or Solus as your best bet if you're a newcomer to Linux. If you've got a bit of experience, I'd give Manjaro a go.

You CAN share game files for games that run on Proton (Steam just downloads some support files under steamapps/compatdata), but there have been difficulties with running games from NTFS partitions in the past. This has been fixed in recent versions of Proton, however, and the workaround wasn't too difficult anyway should it become an issue (basically, move the compatdata folder to a Linux partition and make a link to it in steamapps). It should be noted that NTFS is slower than ext4, so load times would be improved somewhat depending on what kind of physical media you've got your games on (slow vs fast HDD, SATA vs NVMe ssd, etc).

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

24 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

I'd recommend Pop!_OS or Solus as your best bet if you're a newcomer to Linux. If you've got a bit of experience, I'd give Manjaro a go.

You CAN share game files for games that run on Proton (Steam just downloads some support files under steamapps/compatdata), but there have been difficulties with running games from NTFS partitions in the past. This has been fixed in recent versions of Proton, however, and the workaround wasn't too difficult anyway should it become an issue (basically, move the compatdata folder to a Linux partition and make a link to it in steamapps). It should be noted that NTFS is slower than ext4, so load times would be improved somewhat depending on what kind of physical media you've got your games on (slow vs fast HDD, SATA vs NVMe ssd, etc).

I did not expect to have an answer from THE Anthony! 

I have a very small experience of Linux (school only) so I'll start with Pop or Solus and if at some point I feel like going further I'll give Manjaro a try.

As for shared files, I need to reformat the whole system so I'll make a partition to give linux a chance with the ext4 (linux exclusive) format a go (especially if it's more stable and/or more reliable).

Once again, thank you very much for both your answer and the video, Linus Tech Tips is a channel I can binge watch and to which I always come back for useful information, keep up the good work, I hope to see you a lot more on screen ;)

Cheers from France !

I'm still on Windows 7 and am looking at upgrading to "Pop OS!" trying it out before I properly commit to it.

A lot of people I know seem to be having lots of problems with Windows 10

• 2 years later...

Seeing anthony in this Matrix filter cracked me up a bit, awesome LTT!

2022-02-08.thumb.png.b25967775315304775432af370bf4746.png

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD