SF cables too short

atavax

bought a sf 750 psu, the atx and cpu cables are too short and I was wondering if there are extensions or if i need to buy new cables. Also corsair has this starter kit of individually wrapped cables. They're type 4, my PSU should be compatible with type 4 according to corsairs' website. Is there a way for me to make sure these are longer than the ones I got? It doesn't say mini itx on the product page, so I imagine they are longer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5YG1GN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

4 minutes ago, atavax said:

bought a sf 750 psu, the atx and cpu cables are too short and I was wondering if there are extensions or if i need to buy new cables. Also corsair has this starter kit of individually wrapped cables. They're type 4, my PSU should be compatible with type 4 according to corsairs' website. Is there a way for me to make sure these are longer than the ones I got? It doesn't say mini itx on the product page, so I imagine they are longer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5YG1GN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It says the length in the description of the link you posted

Worst case scenario, you could go the long route of talking to customer service for both products if you can't seem to find the specifications. Better safe than sorry!

before @jonnyGURU comes here and tells you this:

the cables are made on small cases, as the majority uses that in this case. both type 3 and 4 cables are supported and can be had from corsair and @CableMod for example

What case do you have?

If the other cables from your sf750 are correct length and you only need the motherboard and CPU cables, then you can buy them individually and it should be cheaper than the full kit.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-4-Sleeved-black-24pin-ATX-Cable%2C-compatible-with-all-CORSAIR-type-4-pin-out-PSU/p/CP-8920140

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-4-Sleeved-black-8-pin-(4%2B4)-ATX12V-EPS12V-Cable%2C-compatible-with-all-CORSAIR-type-4-pin-out-PSU/p/CP-8920141

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the cables are made on small cases, as the majority uses that in this case. both type 3 and 4 cables are supported and can be had from corsair and @CableMod for example

Incorrect. The type 3 and type 4 motherboard 24pin connectors are different. For the SF750 they'll need the type 4.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Incorrect. The type 3 and type 4 motherboard 24pin connectors are different. For the SF750 they'll need the type 4.

oh, so that's only on pcie, thanks for the heads up

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, so that's only on pcie, thanks for the heads up

The other cables are interchangeable. It's only the motherboard that is different. IIRC type 3 has 24 pins PSU side and type 4 has 28 pins PSU side with the extra being sense cables.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo posted by JG where he snipped the connector tab off and managed to bend a type 3 cable in to a type 4 socket... But I wouldn't call that "compatible" ?

(Might have been different cables I'm thinking of in that pic though...)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo posted by JG where he snipped the connector tab off and managed to bend a type 3 cable in to a type 4 socket... But I wouldn't call that "compatible" ?

No.  You were remembering correctly. I've plugged Type 3 into Type 4, took a picture and it worked.  I didn't snip off the clip until someone pointed out to me how unsightly it was.  :D

Just now, Spotty said:

What case do you have? 

If the other cables from your sf750 are correct length and you only need the motherboard and CPU cables, then you can buy them individually and it should be cheaper than the full kit.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-4-Sleeved-black-24pin-ATX-Cable%2C-compatible-with-all-CORSAIR-type-4-pin-out-PSU/p/CP-8920140

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-4-Sleeved-black-8-pin-(4%2B4)-ATX12V-EPS12V-Cable%2C-compatible-with-all-CORSAIR-type-4-pin-out-PSU/p/CP-8920141

sorry i haven't replied, i've been busy stress testing my CPU I have the NZXT H200. So mini itx, but very large mini itx. And yeah, i know i can use a larger PSU, but i wanted to get this one in case i want to move to a smaller case eventually.

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The other cables are interchangeable. It's only the motherboard that is different. IIRC type 3 has 24 pins PSU side and type 4 has 28 pins PSU side with the extra being sense cables.

(Might have been different cables I'm thinking of in that pic though...)

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  You were remembering correctly. I've plugged Type 3 into Type 4, took a picture and it worked.  I didn't snip off the clip until someone pointed out to me how unsightly it was.  :D

Found it:

20190225_110234.jpg

3 minutes ago, atavax said:

sorry i haven't replied, i've been busy stress testing my CPU I have the NZXT H200. So mini itx, but very large mini itx. And yeah, i know i can use a larger PSU, but i wanted to get this one in case i want to move to a smaller case eventually.

If you do buy replacement cables to use in the h200, make sure you hang on to the original shorter cables for when you swap cases to something smaller.

Also just good idea in general to hang on to the cables. If you're not using cables then keep them in the box and don't throw the box away!

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Found it:

Thing of beauty.

I'm surprised Corsair doesn't make you write "all opinions expressed are my own personal opinion and do not reflect the opinion of Corsair" when you post stuff like that. 

so, the product description says 610mm for the 24pin. any idea what the standard 24pin cable length is with the sf 750? I'm using the psu right now, just have it like laying in the bottom of the case instead of bolted in because the cables are too short right now. And rather not take things apart to find out.

Just now, atavax said:

so, the product description says 610mm for the 24pin. any idea what the standard 24pin cable length is with the sf 750?

300mm.

ATX connector 20+4 pin (300mm)1116-18AWGNo

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsair-sf750-psu,review-34766.html

2 hours ago, atavax said:

bought a sf 750 psu, the atx and cpu cables are too short

yeah, obviously, because its made for enclosures like the Node 202 or Silverstone RVZ series.

You do not want longer cables in that situation.

2 hours ago, atavax said:

and I was wondering if there are extensions or if i need to buy new cables.

You can just get new Cables. IIRC its Corsair Type 4. So you can get a new Cable at every corner.

But can you send the SF back and exchange it for an ATX PSU??
because due to size restrictions SFX PSU can't be as good as ATX PSU and are louder at full load for example.

Or a 750W ATX Counterpart would be cheaper and better in every aspect...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

yeah, obviously, because its made for enclosures like the Node 202 or Silverstone RVZ series.

You do not want longer cables in that situation.

I want to know who thought a 750W SFX PSU was a good idea (like you're doing something wrong if you need a 750W PSU in a SFF case). That adds to confusion imo.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I want to know who thought a 750W SFX PSU was a good idea (like you're doing something wrong if you need a 750W PSU in a SFF case). That adds to confusion imo.

Well, I have a 700W SFX(-L) PSU in my Case that only accepts SFX.

But yeah, 600W is the highest end that makes sense for most Small Form Factor cases like RVZ-01 and the likes.

There is no way to get more than that in a viable matter in that case...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

@atavax yeah you would want to stay in the Type 4 for compatibility with this PSU (if you choose CableMod we have kits listed as C-Series RMi/RMx for compatibility). Otherwise you can use our configurator on our store to customize the lengths specific to your needs.
https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

• 10 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to come forward in defense of a 750W SFX.

Sure, nobody is going to need that much power in a mini ITX case, but that's not the point. The point is silence. The Corsair SF750 starts its fan at 300W which bascially means a silent operation all of the time. The SF600W has the the treshold at around 240W.

So it makes perfect sense to have a 750W SFX.