[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
1 hour ago, Results45 said:

Hey guys! Does anybody here know whether these PSUs are any good (and why) compared to those on the "official list"?

• Corsair VS550/650
  • EVGA BR 450/500/600/700

Why those?

And most of them aren't worth looking into.

EVGA doesn't have anything that's really interesting that has been reviewed. 

There might be one or two interesting units but most of them are not worth looking into.

Thermaltake has some nice/interesting units. Rule of the Thumb, for Thermaltake: if it doesn't have 80plus Gold or better, its not worth looking at. (some rare exceptions here and there though).

Corsair CX and better is OK, though not very quiet...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Well there goes half of Tier S and Tier A+

One Price to pay.

Back in the day Multi Rail was called garbage because of Quad Rail based on EPS12V Spec -> 2 Rails for CPU, one for PCIe, wich got two. And OCP of 18A meant 18A! at worst 25A.

What happened was the 8800GTX (or later GTX280) tripped OCP of those units, people began whining and claim that Single Rail is better because it doesn't switch off and Multi Rail is shit because it did switch off.

Not knowing why and what was going on, they went through the Internet and were able to convince people that Multi Rail was shit and Single Rail better...

The PSU manufacturers were happy as they could save a buck or two on Protection - Win-Win. Except for the Safety of the PSU...

Anyway, now we know a bit more but we still have to fight against those not knowledgable in electricity and electronics that still claim the made up bullshit from then.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Are you going to split the models up in to different tiers? For example, would an RM550x remain in Tier A+ while the RM1000x be bumped down to Tier A? Might end up with a lot of clutter in the list.

While that is true, @Ryan_Vickers showed us a beautiful way out of this situation that would work really really well.

I don't have access to the PC with a test Table that I could copy and paste because my Cat occupys the Chair I need to use for that and I don't want to bother him for no reason.

Hi..

I wonder how good is "Enermax Revolution SFX" compared to the other SFX PSUs?

Which the Enermax is being significantly cheaper between the same SFX 80+ Gold rated ones, but it has higher power (Watts) than the other SFX 80+ Gold from other names.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

6 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I wonder how good is "Enermax Revolution SFX" compared to the other SFX PSUs?

Electrically its not bad.

But they botched the Fan Controller.

-totally-

Its Semi Fanless with the worst implementation.

Every other Second the fan starts or stops.

And I'm NOT JOKING!

Oh and at higher loads, all SFX PSU should be considered loud. Really loud not just noticable.

That's a "design decision".

Which the Enermax is being significantly cheaper between the same SFX 80+ Gold rated ones, but it has higher power (Watts) than the other SFX 80+ Gold from other names.

Get one of the other Gold ones for example from Silverstone (the 92mm fan one).

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Electrically its not bad.

But they botched the Fan Controller.

-totally-

Its Semi Fanless with the worst implementation.

Every other Second the fan starts or stops.

And I'm NOT JOKING!

Oh and at higher loads, all SFX PSU should be considered loud. Really loud not just noticable.

That's a "design decision".

Get one of the other Gold ones for example from Silverstone (the 92mm fan one).

Apparently you had experience with the thing..

Thankyou

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

58 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Apparently you had experience with the thing..

Thankyou

Not myself, a Friend has the Enermax.

I have a similar unit from a different manufacturer (Chieftec) with the same issues. The Enermax just has japanese Caps...

On 3/18/2019 at 9:20 AM, LienusLateTips said:

Corsair - Vengeance, CX* (2017)

Is that good for I5 6500, RTX 2070 And MSI B150M Gaming Pro?

15 minutes ago, HuikaEST said:

Is that good for I5 6500, RTX 2070 And MSI B150M Gaming Pro?

which one? the vengeance or the cx?

it's sufficient, but there's probably better to find for your money

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

which one? the vengeance or the cx?

it's sufficient, but there's probably better to find for your money

you assumed he's rich :) i don't think what beats cx450 in that price range. mb bq pp 11. it's a shame that prices in europe are so high , for example cx450 on newegg US is 30$ after rebate and free shipping. wish i could buy from there :(

:)

1 minute ago, shazammm said:

you assumed he's rich :) i don't think what beats cx450 in that price range. mb bq pp 11. it's a shame that prices in europe are so high , for example cx450 on newegg US is 30$ after rebate and free shipping. wish i could buy from there :(

i live in Europe... so i can know there are some german brands that are sometimes cheaper

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i live in Europe... so i can know there are some german brands that are sometimes cheaper

gladly would like to know that cheaper german brands :)

31 minutes ago, shazammm said:

gladly would like to know that cheaper german brands :)

bitfenix, be quiet, xilence, cooler master and cougar seem to have some PSUs on the same or better level than the cx for less or as much money in germany according to pcpp

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

bitfenix, be quiet, xilence, cooler master and cougar seem to have some PSUs on the same or better level than the cx for less or as much money in germany according to pcpp

which cm and cougar units are you talking about more specific? and btw cx 2017 isn't available anymore on pcpp.de

1 minute ago, shazammm said:

which cm and cougar units are you talking about more specific? and btw cx 2017 isn't available anymore on pcpp.de

gxf and masterwatt mainly

On 5/2/2019 at 7:00 AM, Spotty said:

It's worth having a discussion about the potential concerns and doubts of the unit... However most of the comments I see on this forum regarding it I feel are exaggerating the situation and I'm starting to notice an echo chamber effect where people are going around saying it's bad just because they read someone else say it was bad when that person also just read that someone else said it was bad. End up with a lot of people going around saying it's bad or broken without understanding what the doubts & concerns with the unit are.
When browsing the new builds section I might see someone comment saying "Don't buy the EVGA G3! It's bad!! Swap it for the EVGA G2 instead, it's better", but if I question why they think it's bad and what their concerns with the unit are, they will simply respond "Check the PSU tier list" ?

True. And on G3:s case, the review where the hatred comes from was still positive one. Someone just chose that a bit high opp is something that makes a psu equal to a budget model that's worse on every other aspect. Its like saying a cheap Indian car is equal to a BMW because it the Indian one has a low oil indicator light that turns on more easily.

6 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Someone just chose that a bit high opp is something that makes a psu equal to a budget model that's worse on every other aspect.

Let's not get carried away here and mis-state what the current tier list is.  I think someone's being a little hyperbolic and may want to temper the level of salt they're posting with.  ?

Hey fellas, another curious case here. A Czech fella stated he was looking at this PSU. I wanna point him away, but as it's not on the list at all... I don't want to push him away from a potentially decent option. 

Any idea where these would sit?

10 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Hey fellas, another curious case here. A Czech fella stated he was looking at this PSU. I wanna point him away, but as it's not on the list at all... I don't want to push him away from a potentially decent option. 

Any idea where these would sit?

you forgot to list them...

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you missed it... it's in tier c

*Shrivels into small corner until ceasing to exist* ?

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

Let's not get carried away here and mis-state what the current tier list is.  I think someone's being a little hyperbolic and may want to temper the level of salt they're posting with.  ?

Can you show me where I was wrong? Or is it rude to point out that these kind of lists are only as good as the people putting them together. 

There should be a real reason to put some psu:s that have done well on reviews to same tiers as budget models that are worse on almost every level. If a 100$ dollar psu is equal to 50$ one, it will get trashed on reviews. I would like to see someone explain how the reviewers got it so wrong, and why some random posters are more trustworthy on the matter than experts.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

I really really really hate the Hydro GE...

The Hydro G is fine though...

Fair enough. It's placed pretty damn low. 

Must say I love your passion for the PSUs (love, hate, etc.) lol

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

I really really really hate the Hydro GE...

The Hydro G is fine though...

The most annoying thing about hydro GE, that it actually priced almost the same as the hydroG, and lot of people buy it, bc it's FSP and expensive, so must worth it.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )