[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
On 6/13/2019 at 8:17 AM, imajerec said:

any differences between corsair rmx v1 and v2? beside size and the eps connector

To the end user?  Nope.

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

To the end user?  Nope.

what are the actual changes then? just curious

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

There are reviews on Tomshardware for both the old and new RMx

:)

27 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

The platforms are completely different.  The original RMx used a Corsair design platform.  The new version leverages CWT's GPU platform with some modifications that allow it to meet the efficiency and regulation of the prior version.

Because the new one leverages an existing platform, it costs less to make because parts are bought in larger quantities (since the same platform is used by multiple vendors).  That's why you typically see the new one sell for about $10 less than the old one.

42 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Corsair design platform

wait... you guys have own platforms?

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

Jesus Christ.. Where have you been? 

http://orionpsudb.com/corsair

18 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

A buddy living in Germany wants to get a new PSU, and, of course he intends to buy SeaSonic S12II 520w. I'd rather much have him to get CX550 by corsair, for roughly the same price (60 vs 62 euros).

Any better recommendation for 500-550w unit? AFAIK, a RTX2060 card would be used with ryzen 2600x. Though I'm not entirely certain.

Neither he told me, where he intends to buy the unit, but I guess he's a loyal costumer. ? I'd grab the pure power 11 500w for 60euros, if I were him.better picks?

Bitfenix Formula 550W is also an option. 

https://geizhals.de/bitfenix-formula-gold-550w-atx-2-4-bf550g-bp-fm550ulag-9r-a1720158.html

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

Corsair design manufactured by CWT
http://orionpsudb.com/news/corsair-creates-the-rmx-line-based-on-the-rmi-series-design

16 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Jesus Christ.. Where have you been? 

http://orionpsudb.com/corsair

OrionPSUDB just lists them as "Corsair Custom". Is there a name for it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 hours ago, Spotty said:

Corsair design manufactured by CWT
http://orionpsudb.com/news/corsair-creates-the-rmx-line-based-on-the-rmi-series-design

OrionPSUDB just lists them as "Corsair Custom". Is there a name for it?

We have weird code names for the different platforms based on whoever the PM was at the time.  For example:  The old RMx is referred to as "Harrison".  HX is "Clapton".  But even when a platform is leveraged, it gets a Corsair code name.  For example, the CWT GPU is called "Lindes" in Corsair. 

When it gets confusing is when the manufacturer abbreviates the names (because "Harrison" is hard to pronounce when your native tongue is Mandarin).  So Harrison becomes HX, but it's not HX, it's RMx!.  And Clapton becomes CX.  But it's not CX, it's HX!!  Who's on first?!?!

On 6/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, seon123 said:

In tiers S and A+, we expect the PSUs to have all the protections available. The soldering quality will vary, as they are made by Super Flower, so they can outsource. 

I have brought up changing the tier descriptions/names, so that could be changed. 

still , these should be at A+ at least. They are definitely not mid range. (and they are certainly  above most of the psus( if not all) in this A tier as well). They were in the same tier with the seasonic primes less than a year ago lol.

8 hours ago, Beerus said:

still , these should be at A+ at least. They are definitely not mid range. (and they are certainly  above most of the psus( if not all) in this A tier as well). They were in the same tier with the seasonic primes less than a year ago lol.

There's a reason they're not in A+. As @seon123 said previously, they lack OTP and multi-rail OCP. Therefore, they don't meet the requirements for Tier A+.

They might not be mid-range, but they are still not good enough to be in Tier A+ (or Tier S).

9 hours ago, Beerus said:

On 6/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, seon123 said:

In tiers S and A+, we expect the PSUs to have all the protections available. The soldering quality will vary, as they are made by Super Flower, so they can outsource. 

I have brought up changing the tier descriptions/names, so that could be changed. 

:)

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

3812_01.png

What kind of SSD is this?

ADATA did make PSUs a while back but no longer does.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

7 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

it's a psu... made by cwt (review)

and adata makes more than just ssds

[Posts image of ADATA product] 

31 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's a psu...

thatsthejoke.jpg

32 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's a psu

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

22 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

thatsthejoke.jpg

20 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

imageproxy (2).gif

Which is better? Cooler Master MWE Gold or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold? They are same in price here and same on the Tier Level.

3 minutes ago, xShimarisu said:

Which is better? Cooler Master MWE Gold or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold? They are same in price here and same on the Tier Level.

I'd personally take the MWE Gold.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You do realise a PSU is more than just a bunch of capacitors stuffed inside a metal box?

Yes, its much worse on other aspects too. Those Elite branded caps just mean it wont last that long in use.

Its also horribly overpriced if its the same price as Focus Plus.

18 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

I'd personally take the MWE Gold.

Why though? the seasonic one has 7 years of warranty, and others say the longer the warranty the better it is.