Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlexTheGreatish

The Fastest Gaming Laptop We've Ever Tested!

How is a Zephyrus the fastest laptop you've tested? I haven't even watched the video and I bet the Predator 21x or some other stupid laptop is faster 😂 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

I am unbelievably tired of thin gaming laptops.

"hey guys, how much theoretical performance could we shove into something the thickness of a macbook air?

Quite a lot, but its gonna be a loud housefire...

who cares?"

-every single product design meeting at every gaming laptop manufacturer ever

aka Legate Biggus Dickus

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How is a Zephyrus the fastest laptop you've tested? I haven't even watched the video and I bet the Predator 21x or some other stupid laptop is faster 😂 

He starts the video by specifying Single GPU laptop. The Predator is sli IIRC?

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, campy said:

I am unbelievably tired of thin gaming laptops.

"hey guys, how much theoretical performance could we shove into something the thickness of a macbook air?

Quite a lot, but its gonna be a loud housefire...

who cares?"

-every single product design meeting at every gaming laptop manufacturer ever

See the thing is, now they are pretty cool running and this one doesn't get over 50dB

That notch above the keyboard though. IDK how anyone can sign off on design choices and think that it looks good. I'm liking the lack of bezels, but on a laptop I usually touch the top to lift the screen up (And on my MBP it really shows), so too thin up there isn't really necessary. If this laptop had a bigger keyboard and trackpad underneath it, it would be much nicer. 

6 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

See the thing is, now they are pretty cool running and this one doesn't get over 50dB

I just find it weird that in recent years these obvious flaws in these new laptops every year are becoming more and more acceptable and taken as the standard and something to be expected.

That keyboard flex right when linus says "premium feel". Premium feel? Premium feel. I started laughing at my desk.

Thats a premium feel? That thing flexing like a mcdonalds in a hurricane, what the hell?

Im not one to really care about keyboard style, island chiclet keys arent my personal preference, but as long as its good to type on thats all well. But thats just unacceptable on a machine whos target audience is rich gamers. Island chiclet keys on a flexy keyboard. Fantastic, truly a premium feel.

The almost silence (ha) on thermals/acoustics in this video was a big indicator that its not that impressive or thats its the now "average". With the average and expected results being complete garbage. Pausing at the CPU load scene shows it sitting around the high 70's and low 80's. Which is good, if youre talking about a high clocked desktop processor.

Maintaining 3ghz out of its potential 4.1 on a 45w tdp mobile 6 core. Wow, how impressive. 800mhz faster than its base clock and only at 80c.

/s

Its sad to see, because when looking at thin and light, you expect heat and noise. And some are obviously better than others. But then these are thrown into comparisons with even mediocre "normal sized" gaming laptops and get blown out because theyre either running significantly cooler and are holding higher clocks, or theyre running higher tier hardware because theyre actually capable of handling that kind of tdp.

aka Legate Biggus Dickus

17 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

(Unpopular?) opinion, 50dB is still too loud for something you might theoretically want to use in public/around other people.

But I'm probably biased because I chose my hardware based largely on being quiet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

If you can't actually use it in your lap, is it really a laptop?

Main Gaming PC - i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz 1.25V - EVGA Hybrid 1070ti 2100Mhz Boost 8Ghz Mem.- MSI X99 SLI Krait - Corsair H115i - GSkill Ripjaws V 3000MHz - HX850i - Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 512GB - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Phanteks P400S

Laptop - HP Spectre x360 15t -  i7 8705G - Vega M GL - 16GB DDR4 - 512GB NVME - Windows 10

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I don't get why Linus hates those right-of-the-keyboard track-pads. A mouse goes to the right of your keyboard, so why not a track-pad? Also, why is he complaining about the lack of a webcam, if there was one above the screen he would complain that the bezels were too big and if it was underneath he would think that that was a stupid spot just like he did with all the other laptops with webcams there. How many people actually use the webcam on their gaming laptop anyway?

Spoiler

-The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train.

-Celibacy is not hereditary.

-If everything seems to be going well you obviously have no idea what's going on.

-Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

-A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

-Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work.

Spoiler

-Do things according to who you are, not who others are.

-You can't put a square peg in a round hole. If you're a square peg, make yourself a square hole.

-If somebody else will, why should you?

-If your life consists solely of doing the bidding of others, you have no life at all.

10 hours ago, Computernaut said:

I don't get why Linus hates those right-of-the-keyboard track-pads. A mouse goes to the right of your keyboard, so why not a track-pad? Also, why is he complaining about the lack of a webcam, if there was one above the screen he would complain that the bezels were too big and if it was underneath he would think that that was a stupid spot just like he did with all the other laptops with webcams there. How many people actually use the webcam on their gaming laptop anyway?

For that windows hello login.

Posted (edited)

I loved it...and I so badly wanted one ...

...Untill I saw the price tag in Sweden, and the fact that it ONLY comes with 16 GB ram as the ONLY option available - in ALL the stores.

And with the 16 GB ram model only, the 1 TB NVMe version cost a whopping 5722 CAD (That's 39.000 Swedish Krona) , and nowhere near 3000$.

Yikes. Better sell that kidney.

Edited by JoOngle
How did Krona become Krina?! :D
20 hours ago, campy said:

I just find it weird that in recent years these obvious flaws in these new laptops every year are becoming more and more acceptable and taken as the standard and something to be expected.

That keyboard flex right when linus says "premium feel". Premium feel? Premium feel. I started laughing at my desk.

Thats a premium feel? That thing flexing like a mcdonalds in a hurricane, what the hell?

Im not one to really care about keyboard style, island chiclet keys arent my personal preference, but as long as its good to type on thats all well. But thats just unacceptable on a machine whos target audience is rich gamers. Island chiclet keys on a flexy keyboard. Fantastic, truly a premium feel.

The almost silence (ha) on thermals/acoustics in this video was a big indicator that its not that impressive or thats its the now "average". With the average and expected results being complete garbage. Pausing at the CPU load scene shows it sitting around the high 70's and low 80's. Which is good, if youre talking about a high clocked desktop processor.

Maintaining 3ghz out of its potential 4.1 on a 45w tdp mobile 6 core. Wow, how impressive. 800mhz faster than its base clock and only at 80c.

/s

Its sad to see, because when looking at thin and light, you expect heat and noise. And some are obviously better than others. But then these are thrown into comparisons with even mediocre "normal sized" gaming laptops and get blown out because theyre either running significantly cooler and are holding higher clocks, or theyre running higher tier hardware because theyre actually capable of handling that kind of tdp.

It is sad to see that it won't hold CPU core temps closer to 100 Celsius in order to have higher clock speed. The silicon can handle it so why does it throttle starting at 80 degrees Celsius or so?

Also I wonder the reason why they didn't solder a 16gb RAM module on to the motherboard instead of 8. 

I hope the ice Lake version of this laptop has the keyboard and mouse in the normal location.

I don't understand the issue Linus has with laptop webcams. I'm suprised most laptops even have them at all, they aren't really needed in 2019 with smartphone cameras being so good.

Why would you credit them for "If you turn off the RGB, turn down the refresh rate & mess with the settings, you can almost get 5 hours of battery."

I feel like that should be a detriment.
"You are REQUIRED to turn off most of the features of this laptop in order for it to work for a bumming 5 pathetic hours."

Just because they put in a bigger battery doesn't mean they solved the problem. They have all these pointless power sucking features.

"Here's an RGB light right under the screen. BTW you should turn it off because it uses power & increases the heat of your system." Sounds like design flaws to me.

As for the webcam, they could also not have one. The quality was really bad & so was the mic. Any twitch streamer or youtuber would need a better microphone & any twitch streamer or youtuber that has an audience that wants to look at them will demand better quality video. IMO. It's not a business skype laptop. Video editors & gamers aren't skyping that often IMO. As you said, they could've just had an Ethernet dongle.
It's also odd to me that they have 2 of the USB ports on the right side. Mice, flash drives & keyboards will get in the way of your mouse movement.

LTT Fan Fiction:

PC game list: 

Hi all,

loved the review, picked up a GX701 here in New Zealand from a local retailer- no webcam!!

they say they have no idea about any webcam being included.

any ideas? If it’s a regional thing it seems like a way to screw the international market?

Great review, but something is missing...

Supporting IT at an engineering firm, I perked up at the mention of using this at a desk in production environments. I did some research, but can’t find the external refresh it supports. I pulled the manual online, but no mention. Can it push an external 240Hz monitor? Or is it limited to the built-in display for higher refresh rates? After a while, that can strain the neck, unless you put it on a box.

Oddly, my son’s MSI w/1050 graphics card supports a refresh of 240Hz over mDP. While my Surface Book 2 w/1060 only goes up to 60Hz over the USB-C. The Alienware 17 laptop at the house has a graphics amplifier, so supports everything, but is far too bulky for travel.

I offer that if someone can afford a $3000+ laptop, they can probably also afford multiple external monitors. Can you please include the supported external refresh info on high-end laptops going forward? I’d greatly appreciate it.

I always enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work!

but... where is the AMD laptops in the charts ?... oh... nevermind... 🙃