The Fastest Gaming Laptop We've Ever Tested!

How is a Zephyrus the fastest laptop you've tested? I haven't even watched the video and I bet the Predator 21x or some other stupid laptop is faster ? 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How is a Zephyrus the fastest laptop you've tested? I haven't even watched the video and I bet the Predator 21x or some other stupid laptop is faster ? 

He starts the video by specifying Single GPU laptop. The Predator is sli IIRC?

3 minutes ago, campy said:

I am unbelievably tired of thin gaming laptops.

"hey guys, how much theoretical performance could we shove into something the thickness of a macbook air?

Quite a lot, but its gonna be a loud housefire...

who cares?"

-every single product design meeting at every gaming laptop manufacturer ever

See the thing is, now they are pretty cool running and this one doesn't get over 50dB

That notch above the keyboard though. IDK how anyone can sign off on design choices and think that it looks good. I'm liking the lack of bezels, but on a laptop I usually touch the top to lift the screen up (And on my MBP it really shows), so too thin up there isn't really necessary. If this laptop had a bigger keyboard and trackpad underneath it, it would be much nicer. 

17 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

See the thing is, now they are pretty cool running and this one doesn't get over 50dB

(Unpopular?) opinion, 50dB is still too loud for something you might theoretically want to use in public/around other people.

But I'm probably biased because I chose my hardware based largely on being quiet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

If you can't actually use it in your lap, is it really a laptop?

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I don't get why Linus hates those right-of-the-keyboard track-pads. A mouse goes to the right of your keyboard, so why not a track-pad? Also, why is he complaining about the lack of a webcam, if there was one above the screen he would complain that the bezels were too big and if it was underneath he would think that that was a stupid spot just like he did with all the other laptops with webcams there. How many people actually use the webcam on their gaming laptop anyway?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

10 hours ago, Computernaut said:

I don't get why Linus hates those right-of-the-keyboard track-pads. A mouse goes to the right of your keyboard, so why not a track-pad? Also, why is he complaining about the lack of a webcam, if there was one above the screen he would complain that the bezels were too big and if it was underneath he would think that that was a stupid spot just like he did with all the other laptops with webcams there. How many people actually use the webcam on their gaming laptop anyway?

For that windows hello login.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I loved it...and I so badly wanted one ...

...Untill I saw the price tag in Sweden, and the fact that it ONLY comes with 16 GB ram as the ONLY option available - in ALL the stores.

And with the 16 GB ram model only, the 1 TB NVMe version cost a whopping 5722 CAD (That's 39.000 Swedish Krona) , and nowhere near 3000$.

Yikes. Better sell that kidney.

Edited by JoOngle
How did Krona become Krina?! :D

20 hours ago, campy said:

I just find it weird that in recent years these obvious flaws in these new laptops every year are becoming more and more acceptable and taken as the standard and something to be expected.

That keyboard flex right when linus says "premium feel". Premium feel? Premium feel. I started laughing at my desk.

Thats a premium feel? That thing flexing like a mcdonalds in a hurricane, what the hell?

Im not one to really care about keyboard style, island chiclet keys arent my personal preference, but as long as its good to type on thats all well. But thats just unacceptable on a machine whos target audience is rich gamers. Island chiclet keys on a flexy keyboard. Fantastic, truly a premium feel.

The almost silence (ha) on thermals/acoustics in this video was a big indicator that its not that impressive or thats its the now "average". With the average and expected results being complete garbage. Pausing at the CPU load scene shows it sitting around the high 70's and low 80's. Which is good, if youre talking about a high clocked desktop processor.

Maintaining 3ghz out of its potential 4.1 on a 45w tdp mobile 6 core. Wow, how impressive. 800mhz faster than its base clock and only at 80c.

/s

Its sad to see, because when looking at thin and light, you expect heat and noise. And some are obviously better than others. But then these are thrown into comparisons with even mediocre "normal sized" gaming laptops and get blown out because theyre either running significantly cooler and are holding higher clocks, or theyre running higher tier hardware because theyre actually capable of handling that kind of tdp.

It is sad to see that it won't hold CPU core temps closer to 100 Celsius in order to have higher clock speed. The silicon can handle it so why does it throttle starting at 80 degrees Celsius or so?

Also I wonder the reason why they didn't solder a 16gb RAM module on to the motherboard instead of 8. 

I hope the ice Lake version of this laptop has the keyboard and mouse in the normal location.

I don't understand the issue Linus has with laptop webcams. I'm suprised most laptops even have them at all, they aren't really needed in 2019 with smartphone cameras being so good.

Why would you credit them for "If you turn off the RGB, turn down the refresh rate & mess with the settings, you can almost get 5 hours of battery."

I feel like that should be a detriment.
"You are REQUIRED to turn off most of the features of this laptop in order for it to work for a bumming 5 pathetic hours."

Just because they put in a bigger battery doesn't mean they solved the problem. They have all these pointless power sucking features.

"Here's an RGB light right under the screen. BTW you should turn it off because it uses power & increases the heat of your system." Sounds like design flaws to me.

As for the webcam, they could also not have one. The quality was really bad & so was the mic. Any twitch streamer or youtuber would need a better microphone & any twitch streamer or youtuber that has an audience that wants to look at them will demand better quality video. IMO. It's not a business skype laptop. Video editors & gamers aren't skyping that often IMO. As you said, they could've just had an Ethernet dongle.
It's also odd to me that they have 2 of the USB ports on the right side. Mice, flash drives & keyboards will get in the way of your mouse movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

loved the review, picked up a GX701 here in New Zealand from a local retailer- no webcam!!

they say they have no idea about any webcam being included.

any ideas? If it’s a regional thing it seems like a way to screw the international market?

Great review, but something is missing...

Supporting IT at an engineering firm, I perked up at the mention of using this at a desk in production environments. I did some research, but can’t find the external refresh it supports. I pulled the manual online, but no mention. Can it push an external 240Hz monitor? Or is it limited to the built-in display for higher refresh rates? After a while, that can strain the neck, unless you put it on a box.

Oddly, my son’s MSI w/1050 graphics card supports a refresh of 240Hz over mDP. While my Surface Book 2 w/1060 only goes up to 60Hz over the USB-C. The Alienware 17 laptop at the house has a graphics amplifier, so supports everything, but is far too bulky for travel.

I offer that if someone can afford a $3000+ laptop, they can probably also afford multiple external monitors. Can you please include the supported external refresh info on high-end laptops going forward? I’d greatly appreciate it.

I always enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...

but... where is the AMD laptops in the charts ?... oh... nevermind... ?