Recommendations for a no-frills WHITE mechanical keyboard

crumbworks
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Ducky ONE white, the V2 version they released, but that one has a bit of black on the bottom.

The ways my eyes work, black writing on white backgrounds is easier. It's how my eyes operate (I don't have great low-light vision) and it's also why "night mode" sites are hell to read.

It's also why despite every other aspect of my rig being black (as is the norm these days), my keyboard is white. It's much easier for me to see and track the keys (when I do happen to look down)

Back in the mid 2000s, I got a basic wired PS/2 keyboard. A simple full-sized white membrane keyboard for $10.99. No extra buttons like power, sleep, browser, etc. Nothing fancy --- no bells, no whistles.

It did the trick, so went back and bought 2 backups (I mean, $11 is nothing). This is back when finding peripherals in white/beige was still easy.

Fast forward to 2019, and the last of those keyboards is starting to give out a bit... and of course, nothing is white/beige anymore.

I want to look into a mechanical keyboard to replace it (preferably with tactile non-clicky switches like MX Browns, or the equivalent) but I'm looking for it to be:

• White
  • Full size (no mini / 90% / tenkeyless)
  • Standard key layout (as in, takes no liberties with key placement or size from the normal layout)
  • A backlight is entirely optional (if its white, I likely won't need it as I always have plenty of lights on)
  • Preferably with as little fancy "stuff" as possible -- I don't need programmable macro keys, USB charging ports, or any "gamer" features
    • I'd be okay with volume up / down / mute.... but even that I can easily go without

What can you recommend? Please and thank you!

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac?crid=27

I have this in black, great keyboard, runs for months without a real recharge (not a problem if regularly exposed to sunlight), granted it's wireless and $60, and I don't know what mx browns (or any of those fancy switches feel like lol) but it's not loud and it's easy to determine when you've made a keystroke. I know it says mac, but doesn't matter with any of the other "mac" keyboards I've used from Logitech on pcs. If nothing else it's an option

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I want something similar. I hate all the rgb keyboards. Buy idk where to find a nice mechanical keyboard that doesn't  scream " 13 year old gamer".

Ducky ONE white, the V2 version they released, but that one has a bit of black on the bottom.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Holy crap that may be the winner. It checks all my boxes, and I like Ducky. I don't care about black on the bottom lol. When am I ever looking at the bottom of my keyboard?

The ducky is always a good choice, but you can always buy a regular keyboard and replace the keycaps if it doesn't pan out

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

5 hours ago, crumbworks said:

Holy crap that may be the winner. It checks all my boxes, and I like Ducky. I don't care about black on the bottom lol. When am I ever looking at the bottom of my keyboard?

Idk i have the original one and it's great but if i switch to the 2 then the black would be visible on the front edge:

DSC00472.thumb.JPG.2d4ef35a9b5acb339eb619b2d6eff79b.JPG

Image result for ducky one white 2

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

Idk i have the original one and it's great but if i switch to the 2 then the black would be visible on the front edge

For aesthetics, you're right. But my reason for white is because my eyes don't track well on black keyboards, so it's no issue at all.

23 minutes ago, crumbworks said:

For aesthetics, you're right. But my reason for white is because my eyes don't track well on black keyboards, so it's no issue at all.

Then yeah get the V2 :)

Spoiler

I know its kind of over-the-top, but I'm a giant Corsair fangirl so I always have to push a recommendation for them :D The K70 RGB MK.2 SE is actually the board I'm considering for an all-white build I want to do eventually. Its super sleek and clean looking, plus I particularly love Corsair's volume scroll wheel and I don't think I could buy a board without one again...

2 hours ago, Dayglorange said:

The K70 RGB MK.2 SE is actually the board I'm considering for an all-white build I want to do eventually.

Nothing wrong with recommending Corsair -- I love their products!

I saw that one too, but I don't like the Cherry MX Speed switches. Is that SE board available with other switches?

1 hour ago, crumbworks said:

I saw that one too, but I don't like the Cherry MX Speed switches. Is that SE board available with other switches?

I would discourage against getting corsair boards, they have some of the worst stabilizers I've ever tried (worse than k type bad)

I bought my son the Redragon K550W for Christmas and so far it's been a great keyboard.  MX-Brown equivilevent switches, full size, backlit.  It does have some "extra" features, but for under $70, this keyboard seems like it might fit your needs.

You can check it out here.

0Nat1U1abl8lXPBysM1L7rL1ynuE3nesn6PAaY6g

On 2/17/2019 at 7:20 PM, crumbworks said:

I'm not sure - I checked the Corsair website, but didn't see anything. I know they offer some of their other keyboards with various different switch types. If they do have another version of the SE white board it might not be in production anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 11:22 PM, Enderman said:

Thanks again Enderman! I love it!

(this was before I swapped out the Enter and Space to achieve white keycap uniformity)

ducky2.jpg.92b4baa89804a06d15bce05745832ae9.jpg

45 minutes ago, crumbworks said:

Thanks again Enderman! I love it!

(this was before I swapped out the Enter and Space to achieve white keycap uniformity)

Nice!

I love mine too :P

$300 of peripherals for my white mouse and keyboard but worth it

Spoiler