NZ fibre puts many countries to shame

R0ADK1LL
5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

yeah, that's what they look like, People should look at this report before they comment on the cost of FTTN/vdsl2 versus gpon versus active Ethernet:

internet.jpg

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

yeah, that's what they look like, People should look at this report before they comment on the cost of FTTN/vdsl2 versus gpon versus active Ethernet:

You would probably be interested in this section too:

From our results we note that a full overlay FTTP network will cost more than $5.0 billion. Government investment of about 75% would be required for an operator to obtain a payback within 15 years at the ‘premium’ take-up scenario.

Basically a private company has zero hope unless they purposefully never want to turn a profit on an endeavor that perpetually gets out of date as technology advances and requires constant investment. I won't be starting nor investing in such a company.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You would probably be interested in this section too:

Basically a private company has zero hope unless they purposefully never want to turn a profit on an endeavor that perpetually gets out of date as technology advances and requires constant investment. I won't be starting nor investing in such a company.

You know what immediately stood out to me? it was the amount, only $5B.  There is no guessing what the Aussie one will cost in the end,  but it started at 42B and has gone as high as 92B in estimates.

I guess the more important point here is not the actual cost, but the fact there is no way in hell any private consortium was ever going to upgrade either NZ or Aus.  EVER!

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

As for golden lag. What i am saying is that: I dont know where he lives and never claimed to. Your presumption is therefore incorrect, but its ok. I know youre pretending not to get it like telling me "the NBN doesnt concern you since you dont live here" while ignoring the entire NZ vs US premise of the OP.

i think ive lost track completely here......

since when did i imply that? i mean the OP isnt wrong........

the NZ system is miles better since it offers good infrastructure and competition at the same time

11 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I'm 2km away from fibre but they won't send it up my road. Rollout to rural communities sure, but I live 15m away from one of the four main centres of NZ, as well as being rural. Just makes me depressed 8 of the 4000 houses are on my road and only 2km from the fibre cable, maybe 10km at most from the backbone cable. 

Tell you what though they said I could get VDSL with Spark (Which you might recognise as really Telecom) and my internet speed actually decreased by 2Mbps. 

I feel ya. My next door neighbour gets fiber but I'm the first rural house out of the township, so I don't. I have decent VDSL though being basically next to the node with a fiber back haul.

The banks peninsular fiber cable runs through my front lawn as well ?

13 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Tax is theft if you dont voluntarily donate it. If you dont pay taxes men with guns do come for you to imprison you or tame your stuff so its theft.

Probs should. "Knowledge is power." Francis Bacon.

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

I mean good luck having money in the first place if nobody paid taxes, money isn't magic nor grows on trees. Off topic so meh, was such an amusing thing to say I had to comment at least once though.

Tax is used to to pay for public services where a commercial model would fail. For instance, schooling & education, universal healthcare, public spaces and parks, police, fire crews, aged care and pension, rubbish collection & cleaning, sewage and water to and from your property, and sickness and health benefits.

Under a no-tax policy this would either have to be funded differently, or it would cease to exist. Can you imagine a world where it's pay-as-you-go... Having to direct deposit $1,000,000 into the account of the police before they'll investigate who stole your car or you have a splinter removed at the hospital and get charged $30,000 as you leave (?)? No parks or roads because it would be too hard to police who pays... Because there wouldn't be a Government so corporations (who wouldn't cooperate) wouldn't have a universal payment mechanism to facilitate seamless driving down different streets and tolling the person doing so. Affordable public transport also wouldn't be a thing as it's subsidised.

Basically if you think of everything you use that you don't have to pay for would likely either cease to exist or receive no upkeep and maintenance.

To bring it back to the topic at hand, in this case the tax payer money was used to fund the UFB rollout because under the current model at the time investment wouldn't have happened fast enough, or it wouldn't have happened at all and the UFB meant better access to knowledge and education, more hi-tech jobs, and more hi-tech exports for New Zealand which would all generate more tax revenue in the future.

Also men with guns wouldn't show up... Our police aren't armed with deadly weapons (unless you have one, then the armed squad shows up), New Zealand got really angry when one tasered a feral goat https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105739474/police-release-distressing-video-of-officer-tasering-feral-goat-13-times. You will however be required to show up to court and could go to jail for a few years.

21 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

I feel ya. My next door neighbour gets fiber but I'm the first rural house out of the township, so I don't. I have decent VDSL though being basically next to the node with a fiber back haul.

The banks peninsular fiber cable runs through my front lawn as well ?

i had a period of about a year where the fiber was about 2km away from my house.  we are in the most rural region of my town, so it to be expected that it would take some extra time before we got any. 

hopefully you get sorted in the near future

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

Cant be more true. 

Like for our fiber, it takes a year before the equipment (ONT, fiber drop, casing) to pay for it self. This doesnt include dispatches or hardware failures.Multiply this by 10, 20, 100,000 and it compiles quickly. Then add the actual fiber, labor, access platform, core equipment, IP space cost, peer cost....ahh....

It incredibly expensive and even a teeny little start up of say 50 customers will run upwards of $150k just to start and youll be in the negative for 3-4 years. I work for one and know how to run it properly but will never ever start my own.

10 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

It incredibly expensive and even a teeny little start up of say 50 customers will run upwards of $150k just to start and youll be in the negative for 3-4 years. I work for one and know how to run it properly but will never ever start my own.

Heck I'd say $150k is rather low ball, at least for here. Civil works on public roads and infrastructure here is extremely expensive, health and safety + red tape nightmare. 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:59 PM, Cyracus said:

When you compare other places to the US it's something stupid like how we spend more on our military than anywhere, or we're at the mercy of a corrupt government... and sometimes there's legitimate good things

You realise that a lot of countries that don't spend stupid amounts on militart rely on US's role as world police to keep them safe?

12 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Tax is used to to pay for public services where a commercial model would fail. For instance, schooling & education, universal healthcare, public spaces and parks, police, fire crews, aged care and pension, rubbish collection & cleaning, sewage and water to and from your property, and sickness and health benefits.

That was more comment that money itself, the nations currency, is tax payer funded. Without out that you'd be paying your taxes with chickens and goats. Currency was created for a reason, nobody really wants to be paid in chickens and goats.

-= Locked =-

-= Cleaned =-

Sorry guys but after 2 cleanings this topic has shown to be a political minefield and as you all know political discussion is not allowed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER