Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James

Why did you buy an Android phone?

36 minutes ago, Syfes said:

I find it easier to use? I had to use an iPhone a couple years ago for a few weeks and it felt clumsy and unintuitive to use. Maybe that's just because I used Android phones before though... 😅 

iPhones are unintuitive! There’s no back button for one! And the Settings menu is confusing AF. Also, it takes way too many clicks to add someone’s contact from a text. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

iPhones are unintuitive! There’s no back button for one! And the Settings menu is confusing AF. Also, it takes way too many clicks to add someone’s contact from a text. 

-the fact that you have to leave an app to access that apps settings

-the multitude of submenus in settings that make zero sense at times why its located where it is

-lack of back button and the fact that not every app supports swipe-back

-everything is non-intuitive in iOS for Xphones. At least android runs you through a quick tutorial. 

Very flexible. I like to customize layouts for a certain clean look. More options to chose from. More control. Those have been most of my main reasons.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I specifically bought an galaxy S9+ because no iPhone has a finger print scanner, and no iPhone has a headphone jack, and no iPhone has a back button. 

One of those 3 probably could have sold me on an XS

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

my only reason is because most android phones are cheaper, i could customize it the way i want, i can install some random unauthorized app easily and im already used to how the system works. the only complain i have for android are the play store and just how bad the reccomended apps and their payment system.

11 hours ago, Sharkyx1 said:

iPhone has a finger print scanner, and no iPhone has a headphone jack

6S and SE. Still supported, still very relevant in terms of performance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Customizability is a big thing for me, the fact that i download anything easily, cheap flagships, bigger community, custom roms and kernals that squeeze the last juice of performance out of your phone, security testing with kali nethunter and andromax, you can run emulators with win on them, and you can mod games.

And all of that when you have sooooo many phones with android to chose from, not just 3 phones that are waaaayyy overpriced.

Also if your on Android One you have alot of updates.

I used iphone for a year or so, and I even had an ipod. Absolutely loathed any and all interactions I had with iTunes. Never again. 

Android is more customizable, cheaper, works as well as iphone, and it's just overall a better value for money. 

EDIT: Also, in my crappy Eastern European country, an iphone is seen as a status symbol in the same way as expensive clothing brands are. You can assume the person is going to be obnoxious/extremely shallow when they're using an iphone here and you're almost always right.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Imagine getting on the train, looking around you, and noticing that everyone's phone looks the exact same as yours. I would rather not have a phone.

Also, on principle I will never buy any "computer" with a locked down bootloader. As far as I'm concerned, iPhones (and phones from other manufacturers such as Huawei and HMD) are pretty much bricks. Even if you're not going to install a custom ROM, you should care about this.

My my personal phone the times I've purchased android was when I wanted to give it a try. I've always gone back to apple and most reasons were because I had bad experiences with android.

To date the only good experience I've ever had was with the LG V20. Great phone and loved it. I was just getting more and more into the apple ecosystem again so I decided to go back to apple.

For my work phone we have Samsungs right now and I hate them. Had the S5 active now we are on the S7 active and these phones are garbage. If I could pick a work phone I'd either go with an iPhone or with a LG V40

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 GPU: AMD MSI RX580 MB:ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Plus RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock AMD SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE MOUSE: Corsair M65 Pro RGB HEADSET: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Linux Ubuntu Rig (Plex Server) CPU: Intel i3 6100 GPU: N/A MB: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1x8gb DDR4 2400MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: N/A HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda/500GB Seagate Barracudax2 PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair Spec-01 KB: Same as Main

freeNAS Server: CPU: Under Planning GPU: N/A MB: Under Planning RAM: Under Planning CPU Cooler: Under Planning SSD: N/A HDD: Under Planning PSU: Under Planning Case: Under Planning KB: Under Planning

Now that both iOS and Android are becoming mature operating systems (you heard right; they're both still extremely immature & limited in nature, but they're good enough) I could go either way, and actually do miss having an iPad for media consumption and reddit browsing, as well as DJ'ing. (although DJing is moot with newer iPads since there's no headphone jack.)

However, the main things that keep me on Android Phones are listed below:

• We can change default apps for mail, maps, & web browsers
  • There is an actual file system (Files app is NOT a real file browser)
  • If desired, we can root & ROM our phones because:
    • we can change the look/feel of our device
    • we can continue receiving updates even longer than Apple supports their older phones
  • There's a wide selection of launchers (one launcher DOES NOT fit all use-cases; sorry Apple springboard)
  • AirPlay is not a universally supported method for casting content to speakers / Smart TVs
    • That being said, there really is no universal method for this, but at least on Android I have a better ability to use 3rd party apps for casting
  • We're not stuck using Safari's web rendering engine or everything
    • Even if you download Chrome or another browser on iOS, Apple still forces it to render content using Safari's engine
  • Android lets me use both Tasker and Join to automate ... literally anything on my phone https://joaoapps.com/join/
    • Can receive & reply to texts, FB messages, & other notifications directly in my Chrome extension bar without having to open Facebook, for instance
    • Can automate with much greater details than IFTTT offers on the locked down iOS system

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

i like being able to get a sub $1650 (cough cough, iphone Xr) phone thats going to be able to run just as much stuff with the advantages of being on a more widespread Os, and also WAY better battery life.

and also my new android has a headphone jack

37 minutes ago, Nitsuj said:

i like being able to get a sub $1650 (cough cough, iphone Xr) phone thats going to be able to run just as much stuff with the advantages of being on a more widespread Os, and also WAY better battery life.

and also my new android has a headphone jack

The battery in my iPhone XS Max has lasted MUCH longer than any android phone I've ever had. Even my old iPhone X had better battery life.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 GPU: AMD MSI RX580 MB:ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Plus RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock AMD SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE MOUSE: Corsair M65 Pro RGB HEADSET: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Linux Ubuntu Rig (Plex Server) CPU: Intel i3 6100 GPU: N/A MB: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1x8gb DDR4 2400MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: N/A HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda/500GB Seagate Barracudax2 PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair Spec-01 KB: Same as Main

freeNAS Server: CPU: Under Planning GPU: N/A MB: Under Planning RAM: Under Planning CPU Cooler: Under Planning SSD: N/A HDD: Under Planning PSU: Under Planning Case: Under Planning KB: Under Planning

Had nothing better to do today so I just installed TWRP and a custom ROM/Firmware on a Samsung A5 2017 that was SIM carrier locked.(The carrier refused to unlock it, because I'm not the "original owner" of the device... it was given to me by my father after he changed carrier last week... seriously Fido is trash)

Doing so not only Unlocked the phone for any SIM card, it also got rid of ALL the samsung/fido bloatware. Seriously, this is as barebone as could be now.
Did a dirty "battery life" test, by watching 2h30m of videos on youtube in fullscreen, from 100% it got down to 80%. Which isn't that bad for an older phone that has seen a bit of usage. If I extrapolate, it means I have about 12h30m of battery life watching videos.

It also upgraded Android from Oreo to Pie, since Pie isn't officially available for the A5 2017.

This kind of things is why I love Android. You're not limited to what "they"(carriers and manufacturers) say you can do with it.

1 minute ago, Psybadek said:

The battery in my iPhone XS Max has lasted MUCH longer than any android phone I've ever had. Even my old iPhone X had better battery life.

So how long are we talking about here? And what do you do with it? What do you have installed? Battery life is something that can be hard to quantify since we don't all use our devices the same way. For example, I have a cheap Nokia 2 with a 4100mAh battery that last me nearly 5 days, because I only use it to maybe browse the web an hour a day during the week when I'm not at home.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I like the feel of Android's OS more.

I also like the expandable storage via microSD on my phone, and the presence of a headphone jack. I also enjoy not having to spend as much as I would have if I had bought an iPhone.

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So how long are we talking about here? And what do you do with it? What do you have installed? Battery life is something that can be hard to quantify since we don't all use our devices the same way. For example, I have a cheap Nokia 2 with a 4100mAh battery that last me nearly 5 days, because I only use it to maybe browse the web an hour a day during the week when I'm not at home.

I charge it every night but I can get a couple days out of it if I do forget to charge it. I have the normal stuff installed I suppose, Facebook, Spotify, Audible, Messenger, other social media apps along with some of my bank apps and what not. The only time I've had to charge my phone during the day was when I was watching youtube videos all day while I was at work. (Doing software installs so my time was spent watching the monitor.)

A normal day though I can get home from work and have 60-70% battery left and that's with streaming music or audio books for a few of those hours. (Youtube does eat battery so I don't use it alot. It's worse on my android work phone though.)

1 hour ago, Psybadek said:

yeah, i was rather ignorant about that assumption, i'd head good thing about it, but was doubting of it.. was having flash backs to my last iphone (5c) which SUCKED

Just now, Nitsuj said:

yeah, i was rather ignorant about that assumption, i'd head good thing about it, but was doubting of it.. was having flash backs to my last iphone (5c) which SUCKED

As someone mentioned above it could just be the way I use my phones, but for the last 5+ years I've used my phones the same way. I will say there was a time the battery life on iPhones was horrible for my use, but since the iPhone 6 Plus I've noticed much better battery life out of them. (I can't speak for the iPhone 7 or 8 phones since I was actually using a LG V20 during those gens which was actually a really good phone for android imo. Battery life was good there too.)

Since I got back to iPhone the X and XS Max have been great imo. I have zero complaints with either phone.

Honestly, back then when the first iPhone came out I had a windows mobile phone. It did everything I needed. I could wirelessly connect to my computer and transfer files. I could create actual playlists (some phones back then only allowed you to play a song once into a playlist). It had a file browser, and I could even edit the registry files.

When the iPhone came out it added nothing new I needed. It had some fancy apps, but that's it. So there was no point for me to switch. And later it was possible to dual boot windows and android on some windows phones, so that was basically the first time I tried android, and I liked it enough to completely switch to Android.

I don't buy iPhones because back then I had a better option and right now I have android, which is good enough.

Freedom! Also, iOS is crap and Windows phone is both crap and dead.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 1/27/2019 at 3:56 PM, wasab said:

Freedom! Also, iOS is crap and Windows phone is both crap and dead.

Calling iOS crap is just so shortsighted. Have you ever used a cheap Chinese Android phone with a half-baked Android ROM? iOS is consistent, iOS works really well most of the time. You just can’t say that about most Android phones under $200.