SLI or not?

StarsMars

I have a 1070 and was thinking about grabbing another used one.

It would be about $200usd for the card and sli bridge.

I run a 6600k so I imagine there would be a bottleneck. Will be upgrading when zen3 is available.

Power supply is 650w

So my question comes down to,is this a waste of time?

I want to do it for the sake of fun, playing with SLI for the first time and seeing what I can squeeze out of it.

How soon do you think two 1070's would be out matched by a single card for similar money? (200ish)

But I don't want to do it if it's completely obsolete to a single 2070 or something.

It's a waste of money and time, SLI on the 10 series is an unsupported mess. If you want more performance get a single card, like what you said. Though I don't think the 1070 to a 2070 is enough of a jump to upgrade unless you really need RTX.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

It's a waste of money and time, SLI on the 10 series is an unsupported mess. If you want more performance get a single card, like what you said. Though I don't think the 1070 to a 2070 is enough of a jump to upgrade unless you really need RTX.

Yea, not interested in RTX currently.

It's more of a" because I can" reasoning. Kind of a project. But if I have two 1070's and they don't match up to a single 2080 I might just hold my dimes.

If you like wasting money then yes

9 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Yea, not interested in RTX currently.

It's more of a" because I can" reasoning. Kind of a project. But if I have two 1070's and they don't match up to a single 2080 I might just hold my dimes.

The only issue is SLI compatibility. It's not so widespread, so you'll be stuck using a single GPU most of the time.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

I want to do it for the sake of fun, playing with SLI for the first time and seeing what I can squeeze out of it.

Depends on what you want out of it. If it's just to experiment, play around with, figure out what works or not (because lots of people make assertions without backing it up), and you have the money to blow, sure, why not?

7 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

How soon do you think two 1070's would be out matched by a single card for similar money? (200ish)

It depends on the pricing and how good the generation jump was. The $200 video cards in the last few NVIDIA generations were able to compete with the $400 cards of the previous generation.

19 minutes ago, Slottr said:

agreed,

My take: buy a used 1080Ti and then sell your 1070

In some games a single 1070 will actually run better than 2 1070s. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Havent played a game that sli doesn't scale greatly. If the system is ready to have another card slapped in, do it. If you don't mind selling stuff and buying something else, do that.

Too much work for me to sell my 1080's to get a 1080ti that isn't coming close to the performance of two 1080's.  And for the price of a working 2080ti, I can get a pair of 1080ti's assuming my midrage cpu could keep up, which I doubt. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I was about to ask the same question like StarMars. I got a co worker who sold me a 1080 for cheap and has a second one for way cheap. But not same models. Both 1080s tho. And i was curious to if i should get it and will they work regardless of brand? So for example i have the gigabyte aurus and he has a evga gtx 1080 super clocked or something also to sell. Will those work as long as they are 1080/?

If they are both 1080's with the same amount of vram, to my understanding they should work. So say 1080 10gb and 1080 10gb.

Don't quote me on that.

SLI is like the holocaust.  NEVER AGAIN.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, StarsMars said:

If they are both 1080's with the same amount of vram, to my understanding they should work. So say 1080 10gb and 1080 10gb.

Don't quote me on that.

Ya i think most gtx 1080s ive seen are 8 gb, So im just gonna scoop it up this coming friday. Im just curious to why some cards use 1 different connectors etc also. Figured they where all teh same board, unless they are for the extra fans etc. 

What monitor/resolution/Hz will display your frames per second?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

1 minute ago, Gix7Fifty said:

What monitor/resolution/Hz will display your frames per second?

Right now I have a 27' 4k samsung. 60hz

Yeah your going to want to get another 1070 to keep those fps up on your 4k, provided you play triple A games. In retrospect I think a 1440p 144Hz monitor would have been more appropriate since I prefer fps over resolution, between 1440p and 4k. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

13 hours ago, StarsMars said:

I have a 1070 and was thinking about grabbing another used one.

It would be about $200usd for the card and sli bridge.

I run a 6600k so I imagine there would be a bottleneck. Will be upgrading when zen3 is available.

Power supply is 650w

But I don't want to do it if it's completely obsolete to a single 2070 or something.

Keep in mind someone asks this exact same question on this forum pretty much every day. 

It's entirely probable that many of the people who respond with the now-typical "no it sucks" "it's a total waste" type of responses quite possibly have little to no recent experience with it on Pascal or Turing cards so their input is either outdated or out of ignorance.

To answer your (again asked pretty much daily here) questions: 

Nobody can tell you if something is a waste of time to you. That's like coming here and asking us what your favorite ice cream flavor is. Only you can figure that out.

SLI for fun on the cheap is a perfectly valid reason for wanting to do it - that was why I first tried it with 1080's (then 1080 Ti, Titan Xp and now Titan RTX). Having fun is all the excuse you need to do something you want to do.

Two 1070's probably won't be outmatched by something else at the $200 price point for a long time. They are already outdone by existing cards, but closer to the $600+ range even used.

My general advice to this daily question is always to look at SLI support for the games you play (most games have it to some degree, and many which launch without it eventually have it added - but there are definitely at least 20-30% of games which don't ever have any or at least not good SLI support). If all/most of the games you play have good SLI scaling, and you will benefit from higher FPS from going with an SLI setup (adding another identical model card in your case) then sure, decide if increased performance is worth whatever the cost is to you.

For people building a new rig, or who are definitely going to buy all new graphics cards/ a new card the most logical thing to do (in my opinion) is buy one of the most powerful card on the market. It will give you great performance in every game, and if you really need more FPS - after researching your games for SLI support - it might make sense to buy another matching card for SLI.

If you don't need higher FPS, there is literally no point in adding another card (example being if you have a 1080p 60Hz monitor and you're already able to maintain around 60fps or higher at all times with acceptable graphics detail).

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

My answer was based on a recent video by jayz2cents or Linus. Performance was literally less than the single card. In the last two years sli support has been on the decline.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

20 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Depends on what you want out of it. If it's just to experiment, play around with, figure out what works or not (because lots of people make assertions without backing it up), and you have the money to blow, sure, why not?

It depends on the pricing and how good the generation jump was. The $200 video cards in the last few NVIDIA generations were able to compete with the $400 cards of the previous generation. 

I like this.

Either going to today or after ces

7 hours ago, asand1 said:

My answer was based on a recent video by jayz2cents or Linus. Performance was literally less than the single card. In the last two years sli support has been on the decline.

What video?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

SLI is hit or miss...it won't work with half the games out there...and when it does work, half the time (again) it will have micro stuttering and/or artefacts that will make you prefer disable SLI

It's cool to play around with if you have money to burn...but I wouldn't consider a second card an ''upgrade'' per say.

In your shoes, sell the 1070 and get a used 1080ti....it will SLAY a 1070 SLI in at least 75% of the games

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I ran sli 980tis which are basically the same thing and it was great in every game I played that supported sli,

artifacting and stitteri g is a thing of the past with sli and anyone that says otherwise hasn’t used it recently 

it’s basically perfect now as far as that goes and scales anywhere from 30 to 70 percent in most games which puts u at 2080/ 1080ti performance 

defiantly worth it over selling ur card Andy buying a 1080ti etc 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

I would still use sli on current gen stuff but it appears to be to taxing. 

The one game I actually play is a bit intensive. A pair of $200 cards get the frames I want. Doubt a $1200 card would do that but not gonna find out myself. 

You can actually try it and learn something and actually have an understanding of what people say when they talk about it. Or just be a parrot and say what ever Linus or Jay are saying at the time and have never tried sli yourself but feel the need to comment and spread it around.