Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeadnightWarrior

since when 30 fps is "unplayable"?

4 hours ago, FrankySam said:

For online gaming it's a big disadvantage to be at 30fps

For online yes, but for old-school isometric RPGs it ain't a big disadvantage, hell, I even prefer it to give that "Diablo 2 barely works" feeling.

Matter of taste and what one is accustomed to. I, personally, absolutely fricking hate 30FPS-gaming, it looks terrible to me. I also very, very much hate inconsistent framerates; framerates hovering between 50FPS and 60FPS, instead of staying rock-solid at 60FPS, is still very much bothersome to me. This applies both to "slower games", as some people here refer to, and "faster games" for me. Then again, I also insist on having motion-interpolation enabled on my TV for movies and TV-shows, whereas many people insist having it turned off.

YMMV and all that, it's pointless to try and argue about it. Just accept that some people like some things and others like other things.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I wonder if it's the displays. I used to be fine playing Ocarina of Time at 20 fps on my N64 and GTA Vice City at 25 fps on my PS2, but that was on a CRT TV. I was even fine playing GTA III on PC at 25 fps back in 2002 on a CRT monitor (game looked so good at 1600x1200). But ever since screens went LCD and then LED framerates have started to become way more noticeable to me.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

16 hours ago, corrado33 said:

I still keep my monitor at 75 Hz because I can't run games much faster than that.

What are your PC specs? What type of games are you playing? Try non demanding titles. Try older titles. Try indie titles.

19 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

What are your PC specs? What type of games are you playing? Try non demanding titles. Try older titles. Try indie titles.

Oh mainly just really badly optimized Bethesda games with ~200 mods installed. ;) I'm perfectly happy with my frame rates.

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

I'm perfectly happy with my frame rates.

But what are your PC specs? CPU? GPU? RAM? You say you can't run games much faster than 75Hz. It depends on your hardware.

13 hours ago, FrankySam said:

For online gaming it's a big disadvantage to be at 30fps

And while there are games that are 30fps for everyone (locked FPS), some can handle shooting and aiming at 30fps better than others even after tuning the sensitivities for hours.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz