$1000 50" 4K TV? You better believe it! - $600 4K model as well?

TopWargamer

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/02/polaroid-tv/

polaroid-4k-tv.jpg

The more notable of the two is a 50-inch 4K set with three HDMI inputs, priced at $1,000. Can't quite swing that? Good news, a mere $600 will get you a 50-inch set with a Roku Streaming Stick built-in -- and that one's got HDMI inputs, as well. Both sets will be on-hand in Vegas next week

4K is getting cheaper! Yes, $1000 is still very pricey for a TV or monitor, but it's a freaking 50 inch 4K TV, for only $1000. So yes, 4K is starting to get more affordable. I'm curious a year from now what the prices will be. Hopefully it won't turn out to be as shotty as the Seiki one. If so, that'll be extremely disappointing. Please be good 4K!

This Polaroid 4K TV will on demo at CES next week.

EDIT: I'm more curious to hear more about that $600 TV, because it doesn't say what the screen resolution is. HOPEFULLY it's 4K, but I dunno.

COMIC SANS

I want to see a 4K 21.5 inch monitor, so then I can fit it on my desk.

Does it have a good looking panel this time?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Sold get me 4 of them

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Whats the point of a 4K TV at the moment though? It's not like they are displayed in 4k, it's 4Ki.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

at $1k I'll be all over that if it's any good. That's less than I paid for my current HD 46" TV like 2 years ago.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

Polaroid makes tvs? O_O

Last I heard, after Polaroid went bankrupt they started licensing out their name for use by other companies for all kinds of cheap electronics.

Nice, I wonder what panel they are using, I doubt Polaroid made the actual panel.

My guess is that Seiki sold their panels to Polaroid for rebrand.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I'll take a dozen please.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I'll wait for the reviews. When the Seiki 4K TV came out, people were going crazy on the forums and on the web for it... Then finally the review came out, and guess what? The TV was utter crap. Worse then a 1080p TV of the same price. Higher resolutions doesn't make a bad panel any less a bad panel.

While I do applaud more 4K TV's coming, I'll wait for good ones to become affordable.

$1000 is not expensive for a 50" TV. Most good 50" Smart TV's are still $1200+. Sure you can get lots of 50" TV's for $1000 or less, even some good ones (My 50" LG Plasma was $700 and is amazing - but it's not a Smart TV for one thing), but most of the cheaper ones are not very good.

As for those saying why bother with 4K when there is no content? How do you think 1080p became a thing? The HDTV's came out long before blu-ray or HD-DVD was finalized. 720p and 1080p TV's started coming out when DVD's were still not that old. People bought the TV's first, and it helped the adoption of Blu-Ray. The TV's must come out before the content is made. In a couple years, (Or maybe even this year or next year) we'll likely be able to purchase true 4K Blu-Ray's (Likely 4+ layer discs, 100+ GB). That will be awesome. People can say all they want that physical media is dead, but until I can get the same quality of Blu-Ray even, while streaming (FYI, you can't :P), then I'll stick with my Blu-Ray's. Most people don't even have Internet that could support good quality 4K streams.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It will be utter crap, again. You get what you pay for.

I find the one HDMI thing complete shite, it's clearly just a way to get people to buy the more expensive model. It cannot cost that much to make the board with a few more inputs.

Am I the only one who thinks $1,000 for a tv of that size is really not that expensive? I expect to pay around $2,000+ for a quality set.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ha the Australian government believe current copper (which can barely stream 1080p) is enough for 10 years with 4k coming around

Please, gets some facts before you post rubbish,  You can stream 3d 1080p with DD surround on less than 10Mbps. The Australian copper network, whilst old is still good for up to 50Mbps with vdsl2+. The median net speed in Australia back in 2008 was 8.4Mbps. It has gone up since then.  The only reason politicians are telling you that the average speed is under 4Mbps is because they include mobile phone internet in their calculations which makes up more than half of all Australian internet connections. 

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/how-much-bandwidth-do-you-need-streaming-video

http://thebernoullitrial.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/median-adsl2-broadband-speed-in-australia/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Please, gets some facts before you post rubbish, You can stream 3d 1080p with DD surround on less than 10Mbps. The Australian copper network, whilst old is still good for up to 50Mbps with vdsl2+. The median net speed in Australia back in 2008 was 8.4Mbps. It has gone up since then. The only reason politicians are telling you that the average speed is under 4Mbps is because they include mobile phone internet in their calculations which makes up more than half of all Australian internet connections.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/how-much-bandwidth-do-you-need-streaming-video

http://thebernoullitrial.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/median-adsl2-broadband-speed-in-australia/

While the rest of the world gets fibre lol and pretty sure a lot of ports have been taken I've moved to 3 places only got 6mb down no adsl2 ports and NEVER lived in a place with vdsl! Also the copper is completely unreliable I am yet to live in a place where my internet doesn't lag like hell when the phone rings it and drops out just because it can u sound just like Malcolm turnbull and tony Abbott sucked into there fraudband u care so much about Aussie businesses not lol -_-

Op doubt this will be any better than the seiki tv.

While the rest of the world gets fibre lol and pretty sure a lot of ports have been taken I've moved to 3 places only got 6mb down no adsl2 ports and NEVER lived in a place with vdsl! Also the copper is completely unreliable I am yet to live in a place where my internet doesn't lag like hell when the phone rings it and drops out just because it can u sound just like Malcolm turnbull and tony Abbott sucked into there fraudband u care so much about Aussie businesses not lol -_-

Op doubt this will be any better than the seiki tv.

There are definitely places around oz with shit net, and I don't for one second deny we need better (read fibre) net, however there are few truths that poly's and lobbyists tend to gloss over to promoted their positions. Like for example the mean internet speeds for Australia. The VDSL is easy to implement, most modems sold in the last year or two are vdsl compliant, they only need to upgrade the exchanges and some cases just turn it on.  The NBN policies from both parties are good, make no mistake it's not about labor/liberal,  the problem is the labor one was so poorly run and implemented it doomed itself and the liberal one remedies this with lower speeds to start with.  I can guarantee if people had access to the actual information from the get go and not the crap pushed to us through the media and lobbyists we'd all understood how the system worked there wouldn't be so much hate for it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There are definitely places around oz with shit net, and I don't for one second deny we need better (read fibre) net, however there are few truths that poly's and lobbyists tend to gloss over to promoted their positions. Like for example the mean internet speeds for Australia. The VDSL is easy to implement, most modems sold in the last year or two are vdsl compliant, they only need to upgrade the exchanges and some cases just turn it on. The NBN policies from both parties are good, make no mistake it's not about labor/liberal, the problem is the labor one was so poorly run and implemented it doomed itself and the liberal one remedies this with lower speeds to start with. I can guarantee if people had access to the actual information from the get go and not the crap pushed to us through the media and lobbyists we'd all understood how the system worked there wouldn't be so much hate for it.

Why spend money on something that won't be much better than what we already have? U say the speeds are slower now and costs less but in the long run it will cost more! Also this doesn't fix our upload speed either! OPTUS has already got the hint people want fibre and they are willing to pay for it and so has tog hence why they are now planning on putting fibre to the basement on apartment buildings which is ruining nbn co profitability if they would of kept rolling out fttp and quit all this political bs it OPTUS and TPG may have waited nbn co was suppose to own the infrastructure to stop people like Telstra from monopolising and screwing over Australians but now nbn co is turning into that since liberal has taken over! There liers! Nbn co can't even guarantee Malcolm's speeds!

Why spend money on something that won't be much better than what we already have? U say the speeds are slower now and costs less but in the long run it will cost more! Also this doesn't fix our upload speed either! OPTUS has already got the hint people want fibre and they are willing to pay for it and so has tog hence why they are now planning on putting fibre to the basement on apartment buildings which is ruining nbn co profitability if they would of kept rolling out fttp and quit all this political bs it OPTUS and TPG may have waited nbn co was suppose to own the infrastructure to stop people like Telstra from monopolising and screwing over Australians but now nbn co is turning into that since liberal has taken over! There liers! Nbn co can't even guarantee Malcolm's speeds!

can we take this to pm so's not to derail the thread?

Please, gets some facts before you post rubbish,  You can stream 3d 1080p with DD surround on less than 10Mbps. The Australian copper network, whilst old is still good for up to 50Mbps with vdsl2+. The median net speed in Australia back in 2008 was 8.4Mbps. It has gone up since then.  The only reason politicians are telling you that the average speed is under 4Mbps is because they include mobile phone internet in their calculations which makes up more than half of all Australian internet connections.

Mate just because the median speed in the cities is decent around 20mbps-100mbps doesnt mean that a fairly large majority of people in regional and rural areas have decent internet download and upload speeds. I mean I only live 15KM out of a major regional centre and before I got my NBN Fixed Wireless which I was lucky to get before they halted almost all construction I was on 5Mbps if I was lucky and we had to get telstra as its all we could get and were required to pay for ADSL2+ when we couldn't even get it due to single line. So we payed $150 a month for 500GB download cap, 5Mbps when lucky download 0.5Mbps upload and unlimited phone calls to local mobiles and landlines. Now we pay under that for 500+500GB at 25/5 (almost always stays at that speed) $90 ish or less and then probably $30 a month give or take $5 a month for phone calls. Anyways to be honest the government doesn't know what they are doing but I will say it's fair what Turnbull is doing in the fact that he is saying some of the cable connections etc are fine for another few years but I hate it how they don't say whether they will upgrade the connections of those who need it such as those far away from exchanges or in rural or regional areas.

Mate just because the median speed in the cities is decent around 20mbps-100mbps doesnt mean that a fairly large majority of people in regional and rural areas have decent internet download and upload speeds. I mean I only live 15KM out of a major regional centre and before I got my NBN Fixed Wireless which I was lucky to get before they halted almost all construction I was on 5Mbps if I was lucky and we had to get telstra as its all we could get and were required to pay for ADSL2+ when we couldn't even get it due to single line. So we payed $150 a month for 500GB download cap, 5Mbps when lucky download 0.5Mbps upload and unlimited phone calls to local mobiles and landlines. Now we pay under that for 500+500GB at 25/5 (almost always stays at that speed) $90 ish or less and then probably $30 a month give or take $5 a month for phone calls. Anyways to be honest the government doesn't know what they are doing but I will say it's fair what Turnbull is doing in the fact that he is saying some of the cable connections etc are fine for another few years but I hate it how they don't say whether they will upgrade the connections of those who need it such as those far away from exchanges or in rural or regional areas.

I believe the median speed is for all Australia not just city. I am rural and am paying slightly less, getting only 200gig a month and no included calls. It is a little different for everybod and difficult to give everyone a fair deal because no real studies were done to understand where the speeds and infrastructure need attention. The good news is the current plan includes a comprehensive survey with areas reporting the lowest speeds to be upgraded first.