Apple dictionary definition of 'gay' includes 'stupid'

snowComet

A high school student, Becca Gorman, found insulting words in the definition of gay in Apple's dictionary. She found, that in Apple's dictionary, gay has an informal defintion of "foolish"and "stupid". She wrote an email to Apple CEO, Tim Cook about this, and hours late she received a phone call from Apple, saylng ".... it is so hard to track the dictionaries they're getting source from,"

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=20864595

*update: On New York Daily News' article about this story, ,they said this definition can be found in IOS 7's built in dictionary....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/apple-macbook-pro-dictionary-defines-gay-foolish-stupid-article-1.1519204

Really Apple? Can you stop pissing people off already?

It should be smart to get the sources from one place. Merriam, anyone?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Probably come from stuff like "this is gay" which people interpret as this is stupid.

But yeh. lol at apple.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Bad and ironic move Apple. Considering the gay people I know are Apple fanboys lol.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I don't see this in my Macs dictionary. On the other hand this is nothing to be mad about. Gay is in fact often used as an informal synonym for foolish or stupid. Anyone who's offended by that should loosen up a bit, and realise they don't mean that gays are stupid.

linus_meme_6.jpg

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

I see nothing wrong here.

Let's face the facts, a dictionary's purpose is to define a word in accordance to the ways that people use it in real life.

The truth is, a lot of people use the word "gay" as a derogatory term and a synonym to "stupid" This is the reality of it whether you and I like it or not.

And so when a dictionary defines a word, it is quite reasonable to include it's derogatory definitions.

The dictionary does not condone the usage of a word in a specific way, just because it shows this definition or that. It simply states the ways that humans use the word.

So for crying out loud, if someone makes a dictionary, and says "gay" has an informal definition of "foolish"and "stupid" that does not mean the maker of the dictionary approves this usage of the word, he just shows that there is a reasonable number of people out there who use it in that way.

BxElqSE.jpg

That is a pretty shit article. Read about this on the Consumerist on Friday and they had a much more detailed article with more information and the real end to it. Apple quickly had the heading changed to "informal, often offensive". It is impossible for Apple or any company to read through every single definition of every word for the Dictionaries they use. With the way the definition is changed now I see no reason to remove it. Offensive or not it is a way the term is used in modern society and that makes it a valid definition.

That is a pretty shit article. Read about this on the Consumerist on Friday and they had a much more detailed article with more information and the real end to it. Apple quickly had the heading changed to "informal, often offensive". It is impossible for Apple or any company to read through every single definition of every word for the Dictionaries they use. With the way the definition is changed now I see no reason to remove it. Offensive or not it is a way the term is used in modern society and that makes it a valid definition.

Can u post the link here?? thx vey much~~

Bad and ironic move Apple. Considering the gay people I know are Apple fanboys lol.

mean but almost true 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I get what Apple is saying though about sourcing the information. They would have to police the dictionary more to prevent things like this from happening. 

Thing is, that definition is in there to reflect the way that people talk. Same reason why words like "lol" are in some dictionaries. They are simply showing the way that people actually talk in modern day life. 

If you wanted to get really technical it would not make sense for "gay" to mean "homosexual" either, since it originally meant "joy" or "happy" and later represented a bad, carefree life.

So, words change as time goes on and now in 2013, gay has once again taken on a new meaning. I do not see anything wrong with that. If the word "homosexual" had another definition meaning "stupid" then that would be wrong.

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

Grow the fuck up.. If you notice in the definition they were not saying gay people are stupid.. You guys have taken it completely out of context..

Also it is in the English Oxford Dicianary.. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gay

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

People are being way too sensitive about this. THE DICTIONARY SAYS ITS OFTEN OFFENSIVE AND INFORMAL. People love to whine about things that have no problem...

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Verification.

ImxPqAq.png

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

"Gay" has and is being used as a term for "stupid". "This is gay", "you're gay". It's not a literal meaning anymore.

I don't see anything wrong, most of the homosexuals I know refer to themselves as homosexuals or queers anyway. 

ugh I really hate these kinds of articles

People are quick to draw the conclusion that apple was saying " gay people are stupid", when thats not the case at all remember kids "gay" at one point meant joyful and happy just like "queer" meant odd.

Oh and the dictionary is pretty accurate how many times haveyou heard people say "thats gay" to something that they think  is really dumb or lame ? 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

People are far too sensitive. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Agreed

People are far too sensitive.

Agreed. Society always gets their panties in a bunch over nonsense. While that happens, I'm in the back throwing out a maniacal laugh.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

"Gay" has and is being used as a term for "stupid". "This is gay", "you're gay". It's not a literal meaning anymore.

I don't see anything wrong, most of the homosexuals I know refer to themselves as homosexuals or queers anyway. 

Queer is a term meaning odd or not the norm.

The gay community has used the term queer as a positive term since the late 80's

It was used as a derogatory term for most of the 20th century to describe LGBT relationships.

The adoption of the word was to defeat the negative context of the word and make it positive. We (not all  LGBT people though) call ourselves queer in the positive since of the word, not the negative.

hope this makes sense.

:)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

By the way, this story is made even more interesting due to the fact that Apple CEO Tim cook is Gay.

hqdefault.jpg

What a twist!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Queer is a term meaning odd or not the norm.

The gay community has used the term queer as a positive term since the late 80's

It was used as a derogatory term for most of the 20th century to describe LGBT relationships.

The adoption of the word was to defeat the negative context of the word and make it positive. We (not all  LGBT people though) call ourselves queer in the positive since of the word, not the negative.

hope this makes sense.

:)

So is it like the word "nigger" where people of African descent use it among themselves, but object to others using it with them? Or do you find it alright if someone, hetro, described you as such? (Provided that they don't mean it in a hateful manner)

So is it like the word "nigger" where people of African descent use it among themselves, but object to others using it with them? Or do you find it alright if someone, hetro, described you as such? (Provided that they don't mean it in a hateful manner)

I guess you can make that comparison.

But look at it this way, there are a lot more derogatory words that are used to describe LGBT people.

'fag, faggot, homo, Queer, Gay' are all used today as negative names, also as casual words. the word 'nigger' isn't like that. People understand the context and the negativity associated with it, that's why most people don't use it. 

See what I'm saying?

Hail Sithis!

It's noted "formal", so why do people care? It's a part of "modern" talk. Don't tell me any of you have called something gay for not working. "This game isn't working. Stop being so gay, stupid game!"

As for people whining about it, just let it go. I'm bisexual and I couldn't care less. I'm more upset about people pointing it out and making a massive deal out of it than it ever making its way into the dictionary, to be honest.

I wonder how many actual gay people even care. The world is full of people so worried about upseting any minority the forget that people are just people and ignore what they think and just assume they follow their specific stereotype.