Z87 Motherboard under 150 (or cheaper)

Kush
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Any z87 mobo will do.

Hey guys, I'm about to complete my build and only thing I cant decide is motherboard.

First off I don't plan to do intense gaming (except maybe dota) so I have no gpu but may add one in the future (no SLI), I do however want to overclock my i7 to 4.3-4.5 ghz, and in the future upgrade my ram and overclock it but nothing more than 2000mhz.

Those 2 are the only parts I will overclock. I also need it to be solid ( enough to last 5 years at least) So please recommend me a board that can achieve the above without stretching my budget or overkilling.

The problem with most reviews is they rate the boards on stuff I don't need which gamers do.

Here's my build :
i7 4770k
Plextor m5s 128gb
WD Caviar Black 1TB
G.Skill value ram 8GB
Bitfenix shinobi (3 case fans)
Seasonic s12ii 620W
CM Hyper 212

Thanks in advance.

Any z87 mobo will do.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Get an M-atx board. Asus Gryphon or Gibabyte's M-atx lineup is pretty good. :)

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

+1 for the Asus Z87-A, Demonking beat me to it.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

thanks for the replies guys. I know asus has great quality but in my country it is really expensive. Same story with the gigabyte boards.

Heres how they are priced: msi g43 < asrock extreme3 < msi g45 gaming < Asus Z87-a < UD3H
I managed to narrow it down to:
asrock extreme3/4 and msi g43/g45 gaming

I dont need sli but i do need solid quality and can handle 4.5 ghz without getting too hot.
Extreme3/4 seems to oc very well, and is affordable, but they use cheaper materials (not long lasting?). 
The msi comes with a lot of gaming bells and whistle i dont need like internet card.

Will the Z87 G43 be enough for my needs? Or go for the extreme/g45 gaming

The MSI Z87 G43 is not a bad board and it should be able to achieve your overclocks: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1791/pg8/msi-z87-g43-motherboard-review-overclocking.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

gigabyte ud3h for sure 

Looks like a good board as well 

CPU:Intel i7 2700k OC @4.9Ghz cooled by custom water loop with xpsc dual240 rads, xpsc block and 750 pump/res|Ram:G-Skill RipJaw X 32GB 1866Mhz|Case: Corsair 750D|Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Z77| Hard drive: 240GB Kingston SSD, Seagate 2TB, 1TB Hitachi |GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC cooled by custom water loop with xpsc gtx 770 block|PSU: Corsair HX750|Monitor: LG 27 inch IPS LED Cinema| Sound Card: Creative Fatal1ty X-FI professional| Build log:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64792-just-finished-off-first-watercooled-rig/

Looks like a good board as well 

yes it really is very stable and many overclocking options 

if this topicstarter want to overclock dont get the most expensive board haswell overclocks really not that high

on almost every board you get the same results

i would get this ud3h board 

yes it really is very stable and many overclocking options 

if this topicstarter want to overclock dont get the most expensive board haswell overclocks really not that high

on almost every board you get the same results

i would get this ud3h board 

Yeah from a lot of people I heard the board was good for overclocking, I've used it before on a mates system but own a Asus sabertooth Z77, Asus Z68 V pro, Asrock Z77 extreme 4 and Asrock Z77 fatal1ty and not had any problems with the systems I own 

CPU:Intel i7 2700k OC @4.9Ghz cooled by custom water loop with xpsc dual240 rads, xpsc block and 750 pump/res|Ram:G-Skill RipJaw X 32GB 1866Mhz|Case: Corsair 750D|Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Z77| Hard drive: 240GB Kingston SSD, Seagate 2TB, 1TB Hitachi |GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC cooled by custom water loop with xpsc gtx 770 block|PSU: Corsair HX750|Monitor: LG 27 inch IPS LED Cinema| Sound Card: Creative Fatal1ty X-FI professional| Build log:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64792-just-finished-off-first-watercooled-rig/

Okay I really wanted to go with gigabyte but its too expensive. So I went with the g45 gaming due to resale value. Thanks guys.

Okay I really wanted to go with gigabyte but its too expensive. So I went with the g45 gaming due to resale value. Thanks guys.

I know you said you're not doing heavy gaming but, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130726 MSI's Gaming board is under 150 and you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else. 

Much difference between this and the g45?

Nope. Besides not having SLI (It does crossfire though). You're not doing SLI so it doesn't matter that it doesn't have SLI. I'd go with the G43 GAMING because its cheaper. 

APPARENTLY the sound on the G45 is better (not that the G43 has bad sound, the 45 just has slightly better sound) But of course if you buy a headset or something that kinda corrects the sound anyways.