Anthrax 7.0 - Mostly Whoosh With A Bit Of Sploosh

z4LE1Gv.png

Set-Update #050: Taking it off at the knees! | 2013.11.14

Nearly two years ago I built two standing desks for my office because I thought it would help with my back and increase my productivity. It did actually do all of those things and more but problems came in when I wanted to, you know, relax. A a decent drafting chair is usually 1.5x to 2x as much as the standard chair it is based on. That meant the drafting chair I could actually afford was rather uncomfortable just have a back and seat, not even arm rests. Eventually I really got sick of it and decided it was time to go back to a sitting desk. After some careful measuring I lopped off the legs and reattached the bottoms support.

When building my workbenches in the basement I flipped the front 2x4 from vertical to flat to give more thigh room. This was badly needed but due to the initial design I had used this wasnt possible. I ended up having to use a 2x2 on the front which gave me the room but I lost significant support. Due to this I had to go back under and add a bunch of cross support to reinforce the desks enough to support my setups.

Check out the pic's below and tell me what you think!

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8081.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

Remember to LinusTechTips-Followthistopic.png to receive continued updates automatically!

I think someone left a chair blocking everything... looks good from what I can see.

Sorry I didnt really have a place to put it the other corner was full of everything that was supposed to be on those desks. I don't think its really blocking much though.

Its not my handiest desk/workbench building but the standing ones were the first I ever did and I saw no reason to get rid of them since a few modifications would make them work.

Sorry I didnt really have a place to put it the other corner was full of everything that was supposed to be on those desks. I don't think its really blocking much though.

Its not my handiest desk/workbench building but the standing ones were the first I ever did and I saw no reason to get rid of them since a few modifications would make them work.

Don't worry about it I was just giving you shit lol. They don't look that far off from how I built my work bench, that since I made has not had any work done on it other then just using it as a second desk to work on computers for people.

Don't worry about it I was just giving you shit lol. They don't look that far off from how I built my work bench, that since I made has not had any work done on it other then just using it as a second desk to work on computers for people.

I thought you were going to say "well then why isn't on the desks" and I would have had to go make a paper fan and wack you with it. :P

Yea its pretty simple I've had 4 different designs now. Each is progressively better as I learn what works and what doesn't and what hardware is best for what. I even modified the design so that on the newest smallest one you only have one 2x4 for each leg. That one has by far turned out the best. I'll hopefully have a update on it since it fits in with these.

Yea I have 2 that I have for soldering, electronics, and laptop repair as well (not in the same room). I really lucked out on the top for those.

I'll see I can find a picture of them for you.

@Charger below are two pics of the work benches I built. The reason why I said i lucked out on the top was that I got it for free and is either MDF or HDF but the nice thing is that its coated in that stuff you see on high school and college lab tables.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Nice, I have a work bench out back that has a 1" thick composite counter top from a dental lab that seems to be chemical resistant and just about bullet proof lol 

Just though i would post a photo of my work bench that is inside the house

vtobaKN.jpg

but don't judge my wood working by it lol

this is my wood working 

WTdELj9.jpg

nX9cyTC.jpg

oiZDi4e.jpg

Don't forget if you think of anything that you may need help making for one of your builds i may be able to help make something for you.

Just though i would post a photo of my work bench that is inside the house

Posted Image

but don't judge my wood working by it lol

this is my wood working

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't forget if you think of anything that you may need help making for one of your builds i may be able to help make something for you.

I kinda do want something but it would kinda spoil the build if I showed the picture of where I wanted it to you.

@Charger think u could make a wrist rest out of nice wood?

@Charger think u could make a wrist rest out of nice wood?

I'm sure I could but I don't have anything that would be considered "nice wood" on hand other then some red oak. Any idea of what you want made as in style / look

we could always talk over pm if you want

I'm sure I could but I don't have anything that would be considered "nice wood" on hand other then some red oak. Any idea of what you want made as in style / look

we could always talk over pm if you want

Works for me, send me a pm and I can send pics of some I have already.

z4LE1Gv.png

Set-Update #051: What happens when you fill your desk. | 2013.11.16

After I shortened the other two desks I set up my desktop one and my laptop dock on the other. Even though those desks are roughly 6ft x 3ft the one with my desktop is essentially full so I lacked space to do anything not on the computer. This is where this small desk came in as a side table. I tried a 4ft x 2ft plastic folding table I had and it was the perfect size. With that in mind I found the board in the second pic, which I believe is actually a shelf, but its 4ft x 2ft and is already finished. Which is exactly what I was looking for. Since this desk is significantly smaller than the others I redesigned it so that I could save some wood and only use one 2x4 per leg.

This is the fourth different design I have made for these 2x4 desks/workbenches and I think its turned out the best. What do you guys think? Oh and yes roughly a third if not half is cover in sticky notes at all times. :D

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

Remember to LinusTechTips-Followthistopic.png to receive continued updates automatically!

I'm in the us why?

1) I was going to maybe buy some stuff but shipping is a killer

2) after seeing your desks and set up I was thinking about robbing you

3) see 2 again :P

Looking good so far them adapters are pretty cool.

1) I was going to maybe buy some stuff but shipping is a killer

2) after seeing your desks and set up I was thinking about robbing you

3) see 2 again :P

Looking good so far them adapters are pretty cool.

I could see what I could do for you smaller stuff actually isnt all that much.

Good luck getting the desks out of any of the rooms, minus the newest small one, because youll have to disassemble them to do so. There are about 4-6 lag bolts per leg, so have fun.

Also minus the top both my two big desks and my two work benches cost less than $100 for each set. The work benches were probably closer to $60-65 or so because the legs are normal height. The new little one was basically leftovers from modifying my big desk and building a work bench for my grandpa. the only cost there was some hardware and the top, easily under $30.

The fan adapters?

I could see what I could do for you smaller stuff actually isnt all that much.

Good luck getting the desks out of any of the rooms, minus the newest small one, because youll have to disassemble them to do so. There are about 4-6 lag bolts per leg, so have fun.

Also minus the top both my two big desks and my two work benches cost less than $100 for each set. The work benches were probably closer to $60-65 or so because the legs are normal height. The new little one was basically leftovers from modifying my big desk and building a work bench for my grandpa. the only cost there was some hardware and the top, easily under $30.

The fan adapters?

If I come across anything I need I'll ask you first, see if it's worth shipping from there or buying straight from here.

Heh I'll make a hole in the wall with the desk they look strong enough :P That's pretty good I'm starting some sketches of desks but I've kinda hit a dead end because I'm gonna be moving soon so need to know where I'm gonna put my office etc so I'll wait.

The whole set up you've got and the adapaters yeah

If I come across anything I need I'll ask you first, see if it's worth shipping from there or buying straight from here.

Heh I'll make a hole in the wall with the desk they look strong enough :P That's pretty good I'm starting some sketches of desks but I've kinda hit a dead end because I'm gonna be moving soon so need to know where I'm gonna put my office etc so I'll wait.

The whole set up you've got and the adapaters yeah

Sure ill hopefully get stuff listed this week. If you need and help or ideas designing the desk let me know as as got at least my design down pretty good at this point.

This has taken a long time to get together, longer than it should, but its getting there.

Sure ill hopefully get stuff listed this week. If you need and help or ideas designing the desk let me know as as got at least my design down pretty good at this point.

This has taken a long time to get together, longer than it should, but its getting there.

Thanks, I appreciate that a lot.

Life gets in the way of important things right?

Right now I could be at home designing, build and tinkering with stuff but noooo I have to sit here at work instead

Life is the ultimate ninja :ph34r:

z4LE1Gv.png

Update #052: Pooowwweeerrr! | 2013.11.17

Thought I would post these little gems as they kinda bridge the gap between the setup and the build. There not a peripheral but fit into that same sort of category.

These surge protectors are hands down some of the best available and are a very good investment if your not looking at a UPS. I love how retro the box is and yes the housing on them is metal.

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8157.jpg

z4LE1Gv.png

Update #053: Who uses HDMI on a PC... | 2013.11.18

Its harder than you think to buy after market Dual-Link DVI to HDMI adapters. I finally found some decent ones from StarTech. They are gold plated and have nice slightly larger thumbscrew heads. I plan to use these along with a mini HDMI to HDMI cable to output to my auxiliary monitors from my single slot GT 640 4GB.

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

Nice updates, everyone should have surge pretection!!

I have a draw of them adaptors in the office, along with random Crossfire bridges, Dual link to VGA and USB to PS2, 6 pin to molex and 8 pin to 6 pin. No idea how I ended up with them but I got them.

Nice updates, everyone should have surge pretection!!

I have a draw of them adaptors in the office, along with random Crossfire bridges, Dual link to VGA and USB to PS2, 6 pin to molex and 8 pin to 6 pin. No idea how I ended up with them but I got them.

Yes they should. If you looking for those specific ones they should be on amazon.

I have a large number of them as well but I only have one or two dual link ones. I know ones from a old evga card and another from a old HIS or sapphire card. These are back from when the feature of dvi being converted to HDMI and it actually being seen as a HDMI port were introduced. All the rest of the ones I have are the cheap single link freebies that they throw in now days every now and then.

I have a 4 outlet isobar tripp lite that i have had since 2003 I paid a dollar for it from a friend that liberated it from a science room in high school, still works fine and is used for my brothers pc.

I have a 4 outlet isobar tripp lite that i have had since 2003 I paid a dollar for it from a friend that liberated it from a science room in high school, still works fine and is used for my brothers pc.

I have a two port that I use to turn on and off my desoldering pump because the instant you plug it in it heats up the tip which ends up very badly if you forget about it. ;)

I have a two port that I use to turn on and off my desoldering pump because the instant you plug it in it heats up the tip which ends up very badly if you forget about it. ;)

I just wish i had a soldering iron that would get hot when plugged in not 5+ minutes later