Shrinkless Sleeve - Quick and Dirty Method

mattlef

Hey Everyone,

I made this video for my build log, but i thought id share it here as well, in case some of you have not seen it and wanted to find a quick and easy way to sleeve your cables.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns,

Leave comments as well !

And just because its funny:

The Girlfriend Perspective!

Personal Social Media:
Instagram    Twitter    Youtube

Awesome tutorial. Really like it. BTW your girlfriends cute :3

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Awesome tutorial. Really like it. BTW your girlfriends cute :3

+1

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Thanks guys!

I'll be sure to tell her.

also if there is any constructive criticism you want to give, let me have it. I want my future tutorials, reviews, etc, to be of the highest quality.

Let me know what you want to see!

Personal Social Media:

Great job man - wished i had something like this when i was doing my cables! 

Good to have the girlffriend perspective with the girl terms :) I'm sure someone will use that! :P

Thanks Denned,

I think that might be a staple in a bunch of my videos. If for anything other than humor :)

Great job man - wished i had something like this when i was doing my cables! 

Thanks Dave! i just hope i can help people when it comes to some modding ideas etc with future videos.

If you guys have any ideas of stuff you want to know how to do, etc, let me know! i'll film it.

Any comments or criticisms?

Personal Social Media:

Thanks Denned,

I think that might be a staple in a bunch of my videos. If for anything other than humor :)

Thanks Dave! i just hope i can help people when it comes to some modding ideas etc with future videos.

If you guys have any ideas of stuff you want to know how to do, etc, let me know! i'll film it.

Any comments or criticisms?

Stability of cam. More tools at disposal for cleaner sleeves. Overall it was great and entertaining!

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Stability of cam. More tools at disposal for cleaner sleeves. Overall it was great and entertaining!

I thought the exact same thing.

Since i recorded this, I bought a new lens and tripod, which has 100% fixed the stability issues :D

Personal Social Media:

Thanks Denned,

Forgot to mention how easy you made it look. When I've watched Lutro0 and some of the other pros, it always seem somewhat difficult. Most likely because they also make completely new cables, put new connectors on etc.

But doing one cable at the time.. Throw a red snake on the black snake. Seems pretty simple :D

This was terrific. I wonder if i could convince my girlfriend to do cable sleeving for me :P

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

Forgot to mention how easy you made it look. When I've watched Lutro0 and some of the other pros, it always seem somewhat difficult. Most likely because they also make completely new cables, put new connectors on etc.

But doing one cable at the time.. Throw a red snake on the black snake. Seems pretty simple :D

Thanks Denned. I don't think the process is that difficult, it just meant to take the time to measure out the length of the sleeve, etc. 

I cant wait to see what your results are like :)

This was terrific. I wonder if i could convince my girlfriend to do cable sleeving for me :P

Haha! Best of luck! show her the video and say it can be fun! lol

Personal Social Media:

@mattlef This is with paracord, right? Also, can this be done without the heat-shrink?

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

@mattlef This is with paracord, right? Also, can this be done without the heat-shrink?

I did this with MDPC-X Sleeve.

I dont see how paracord would be a problem however.

without heatshink, the sleeve starts to shrivel and doesnt keep shape. You need something to keep it from curling back. That's where the heat shink comes in. However, ive heard of people doing something with soldering irons, though i wouldnt recommend it. 

Personal Social Media:

Really nice quick video. Kinda wish i sleeved my own cables now, but every time i looked at the cost i was like meh.

Really nice quick video. Kinda wish i sleeved my own cables now, but every time i looked at the cost i was like meh.

It's cheap to sleeve your own cables. But the thing is pre-sleeves are expensive.

It's cheap to sleeve your own cables. But the thing is pre-sleeves are expensive.

Most presleeved are extensions soo more clutter behind the mobo tray.

Got some MDPC lying around soo ive tried this and came out pretty good. With Prodigy the cable lenght will be pretty small soo ill go with better looks aka MDPC. Nice tut...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Most presleeved are extensions soo more clutter behind the mobo tray.

Got some MDPC lying around soo ive tried this and came out pretty good. With Prodigy the cable lenght will be pretty small soo ill go with better looks aka MDPC. Nice tut...

Glad to hear it man! I love the shrinkless look.

Take some pics and post them here :) I'd love to see everyones results!

Personal Social Media:

Awesome guide, loved it! My only question would be how could you keep the wires neat and straight after you've sleeved them all. If you straighten them out by hand just like your girlfriend did to lengthen them, will they stay like that? For example, at the end of the Girlfriend's Perspective video, the wires seemed to be all over the place. How can you prevent or fix that? Thanks!

Awesome guide, loved it! My only question would be how could you keep the wires neat and straight after you've sleeved them all. If you straighten them out by hand just like your girlfriend did to lengthen them, will they stay like that? For example, at the end of the Girlfriend's Perspective video, the wires seemed to be all over the place. How can you prevent or fix that? Thanks!

Not let your girlfriend do it. :D

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Glad to hear it man! I love the shrinkless look.

Take some pics and post them here :) I'd love to see everyones results!

Have to wait for end of the month when my paycheck gonna come. Need to buy a dremmel and mod my Prodigy. Last dremmel (borrowed to never get it back) flew with a friend to UK :F

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

• 2 weeks later...

Really tempted to do it this way vs shrink. Just don't want to over melt anything and have a big gooey mess.

Awesome guide! No I'm tempted to sleeve my cables too. :D

How much does it cost to sleeve a PC? Ive got 5 cables + 24 pin + 8 pin on my PSU. Sleeves + shrink wrap + removal tool. ? Also (how) do you sleeve other system cables like the ones for the pront panel connector? They are very thin and fiddly. Or even very thick (USB 3.0). Same goes for SATA cables.

who cares...