Jeff Bezos Says Amazon Won’t Tolerate ‘Callous’ Management Practices

Arty

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/08/17/can-continue-support-amazon/31831119/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/technology/amazon-bezos-workplace-management-practices.html

ome of the more memorable anecdotes:

• A woman who just lost a child in pregnancy was put on performance review, because she wasn’t giving her all to the company.

• Emails are sent out at all hours — miss the midnight email, and you get a text message a few minutes later asking why you haven’t replied.

• Daily performance reviews are standard, giving employees the opportunity to chime in and tear down others--anonymously.

Amazon is described as a place for overachievers to go to feel bad about themselves. The e-tailer admits it's a tough place to work.

In a YouTube video aimed at attracting employees to Amazon, a senior engineer says, “You either fit here or you don’t. There is no middle ground.”

In response to the New York Times article, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos told employees he didn’t recognize the company described.

He refers to “shockingly callous management practices, including people being treated without empathy while enduring family tragedies and serious health problems,” and urges employees to contact human relations and/or himself directly if any situation like this occurred.

“Even if it’s rare or isolated, our tolerance for any such lack of empathy needs to be zero.”

Amazon has created havoc in the retail industry, forcing hundreds of stores to close, due to the lower-priced competition it provides.

The reason the company is so hard-charging is its on a mission: it wants to turn online orders into almost instant delive

https://soundcloud.com/jefferson-graham

WEll this is a awkward situation. 

Im sure its like this in most places.

Walmart 2.0?

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

It really is the digital Wal-Mart.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Walmart 2.0?

harder, better, faster, primer 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

meh, as long as they are not doing anything illegal it is really their choice on how to evaluate it's employees.  Some of this seems harsh (particularly the first bullet point) but this is likely the sad reality of corporations like amazon who need everyone pulling their weight at all times for the business to function.

As long as they operate within legal boundaries, Amazon should be allowed to demand the the work ethic required to make that business function.  People are welcome to find other jobs.  Welcome to America. 

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

America, where they're proud to act like it's 1657

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I can't formulate into words the level of disgust I feel at this.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Welcome to the retail world - the only difference is that this shop is online.

It's a vicious world. You don't know what a negotiation is until you've done it with them.

meh, as long as they are not doing anything illegal it is really their choice on how to evaluate it's employees.  Some of this seems harsh (particularly the first bullet point) but this is likely the sad reality of corporations like amazon who need everyone pulling their weight at all times for the business to function.

As long as they operate within legal boundaries, Amazon should be allowed to demand the the work ethic required to make that business function.  People are welcome to find other jobs.  Welcome to America. 

except by operating this way the productivity of employees go way down. in germany people are required by law to take vacation days and they became the biggest economy in europe because of how productive their workers are and the quality work they produce

This, people, is the price of same-day delivery with 50% off the average price.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Dear Jeff Bezos,

not so long ago your company was caught having a little lager camp in Germany .

best regards .

honestly I buy from Amazon because of 3 main factors:

- the fact that I can potentially ask for a refund much more easily and quickly compared to other online vendors

- the fact that it's a big company so the courier is less inclined to mess with things

- the postage is already included in the price

the price itself it's not a real advantage, Amazon is really really not cheap as people say, I can easily find the same object online for the same price or less, I don't have to rush because Amazon is the only one to have a given product or a given price .

With Amazon there is also the problem of the prices that are extremely variable even in really short timeframes, in a couple of hours you can see prices floating up and down with double digits variations .

There are also many aspects of Amazon that are never convenient, like the Kindle for example, with the Kindle store, you are not even buying books, you are just renting them with an undefinite expiration date . The success of the Kindle is the demonstration that people don't even want to know what they sign up for .

except by operating this way the productivity of employees go way down. in germany people are required by law to take vacation days and they became the biggest economy in europe because of how productive their workers are and the quality work they produce

Yeah exactly! In Japan they have freaking sleep parlors where people can eat lunch and then take a nap for 30 minutes. Taking a 30 min nap everyday boosts productivity. Hell-like working conditions makes you hate the company you're working for and not give it your all. This is just a bad work ethic. If people are treated with respect they tend to respect the upper management more and work harder to fill their quota. That being said, lazy employees should have some harsh behavior required to get them to work.

Yeah exactly! In Japan they have freaking sleep parlors where people can eat lunch and then take a nap for 30 minutes. Taking a 30 min nap everyday boosts productivity. Hell-like working conditions makes you hate the company you're working for and not give it your all. This is just a bad work ethic. If people are treated with respect they tend to respect the upper management more and work harder to fill their quota. That being said, lazy employees should have some harsh behavior required to get them to work.

You know Japan, much like other East Asian countries, has built a reputation for incredibly long working hours and minimal vacation days right? The reason they have those sleep parlors is because they basically have no way of getting the 6-8 hours of actual sleep needed.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

What gets me is this continued cycle of abuse Americans perpetuate: All of them seem to have real fucking shitty jobs, terrible working conditions, pitiful hours to avoid generating benefits, etc. Yet all of them at the same time want ultra fast internet for 19 bucks per month unlimited, cheapest cellphone plans available, their food to be served instantly 3 minutes after ordering, etc. Otherwise they keep bitching about it and abusing employees just so they can go off to work and be abused themselves.

A lot of this would be infinitely better if people were not such entitled assholes creating such unrealistic expectations for companies to fulfill and hence getting their workers a bit of a break. But the same guy that bitches about his 12 hour shift then calls customer support to bitch about his internet being cut off and acts offended when told you haven't paid your fucking bill in 2 months what did you expect, an award?

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is how Amazon delivers efficient shipping, lower prices, and a variety of reliable services. I'm not surprised it's tough to work there. They're all about pushing forward.

This is how Amazon delivers efficient shipping, lower prices, and a variety of reliable services. I'm not surprised it's tough to work there. They're all about pushing forward.

I don't think an unimportant email at midnight qualifies as pushing forward. If it was so important people need to be woken up, they would be getting a phone call.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

But, but I love my one day sales..... seems like a worthwhile trade off. 'Murica.

ew walmart. 

My walmart charges $80-$180 for hdmi cables, so I am pretty sure it won't be Walmart 2.0... Bet it will be a much better competitor. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

You know Japan, much like other East Asian countries, has built a reputation for incredibly long working hours and minimal vacation days right? The reason they have those sleep parlors is because they basically have no way of getting the 6-8 hours of actual sleep needed.

Exactly. If Amazon is going to work like that, they need naps in between. 

I'll just leave these here.

A fairly accurate summarization of the corporate mindset in my opinion.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs