390 or Nvidia equivalent? (read full post please)

Rusty_Shackleford

So I RMAed a doa 390 and they gave me a refund for it. It said no refunds on it on the packing list though? weird. Anyway so During the RMA I did some research and found out that amd cards run hotter, I have OCD and high temps really cause my OCD to kick it. So I figured I'd go with a Nvidia card instead, but I'm not sure.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

equivalent is the 970, I would get it if you're planning to play MSG:V, if you're not get another 390. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

equivalent is the 970, I would get it if you're planning to play MSG:V if you're not, get another 390. 

Oddly enough, I'm a MGS fanboy and I am :P 

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

WTF has OCD to do with "high temps"

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Oddly enough, I'm a MGS fanboy and I am :P

Well probably worth getting a 970 then, just make sure the retailer you're buying it from has that on offer. 970 is faster in some games, the 390 is faster in some games. The 970 is much more efficient and should run cooler. I would look for a G1 gaming or a strix card. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

WTF has OCD to do with "high temps"

paranoid would be a better choice. 

So I RMAed a doa 390 and they gave me a refund for it. It said no refunds on it on the packing list though? weird. Anyway so During the RMA I did some research and found out that amd cards run hotter, I have OCD and high temps really cause my OCD to kick it. So I figured I'd go with a Nvidia card instead, but I'm not sure.

Are you reffering to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

paranoid would be a better choice. 

Everyone on this planet has OCD.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Are you reffering to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

No to On 'Creen Display  ;)

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Everyone on this planet has OCD.

people like to joke about having OCD but I really do have obsessive compulsive disorder, it sucks and it's nothing to make light of.

No one has made it apparent but nvidia cards currently come with a free copy of MGSV, so you can consider it 60$ cheaper if you planned on buying that game anyhow.  The 970 and 390 are close in performance, but the 970 is cooler and draws less power.  On the other hand, the 390 has over twice the (usable) vram.  

I regret buying a 970.  Its fine now, and its been a great card, but im already maxxing the vram in some games.  If I ever decided to go SLI to keep up with gaming, I would still be lacking Vram.  Thats why the 390 is so awesome, get one now and add another one in a year or two when you need it and still have enough vram to handle the new games.

people like to joke about having OCD but I really do have obsessive compulsive disorder, it sucks and it's nothing to make light of.

Ive got it too, but dont take it too seriously :P

No one has made it apparent but nvidia cards currently come with a free copy of MGSV, so you can consider it 60$ cheaper if you planned on buying that game anyhow.  The 970 and 390 are close in performance, but the 970 is cooler and draws less power.  On the other hand, the 390 has over twice the (usable) vram.  

I regret buying a 970.  Its fine now, and its been a great card, but im already maxxing the vram in some games.  If I ever decided to go SLI to keep up with gaming, I would still be lacking Vram.  Thats why the 390 is so awesome, get one now and add another one in a year or two when you need it and still have enough vram to handle the new games.

What games are you playing?

Somedays I wash my hands so often because they get sweaty while gaming that my hands become like sandpaper (and bleed sometimes). Is that OCD too xD

Stop trying to get attention pls

To stay ontopic; How would you OCD feel when the 970 is 10% worse then the 390? Heck why don't you just get a 980Ti instead?

There are 10 topics each day in this subforum about 970 vs 390, when will people stop?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Somedays I wash my hands so often because they get sweaty while gaming that my hands become like sandpaper (and bleed sometimes). Is that OCD too xD

Stop trying to get attention pls

To stay ontopic; How would you OCD feel when the 970 is 10% worse then the 390? Heck why don't you just get a 980Ti instead?

Sounds like your a clean dude ;)

You cant have a card that runs hot?

I mean I can but like the one person said I get paranoid about something happened to it when it gets hot. Anything over 70c worries me.

You cant have a card that runs hot?

"My graphics card is 70C omg it's too hot, what should I do"

Then there is the guys with the reference R9 290(X), 980Ti's and Titan X's which run at 85-90C for years with no problems.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Then there is the guys with the reference R9 290(X), 980Ti's and Titan X's which run at 85-90C for years with no problems.

90c? omg.

I mean I can but like the one person said I get paranoid about something happened to it when it gets hot. Anything over 70c worries me.

Lmao.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

90c? omg.

Yes.

GTX-980-Ti-PCB-Back-Side_w_600.jpg

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

a refrence card runs anywhere from 80-90

Yup, refrence cards are designed to run that way.

a refrence card runs anywhere from 80-90

Just look at this setup, he has a NH-D15 which is super overkill for a 4790k. Probably sub50C under load.

And the setup is way to unbalanced, he spent like 1/8 of his money on the GPU.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Just look at this setup, he has a NH-D15 which is super overkill for a 4790k.

And the setup is way to unbalanced, he spent like 1/8 of his money on the GPU.

I didnt look at it to be honest, but wow :P