390 or Nvidia equivalent? (read full post please)

Rusty_Shackleford

90c? omg.

The 390, being basically a 290 (with more VRAM) is designed to be able to be able to run at 95c all day long without issues.

"Rawr XD"

I forgot to mention that I don't have a monitor that supports the 390 so if I go with that I'm also going to have to drop $150+ for s new one. 

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

So I RMAed a doa 390 and they gave me a refund for it. It said no refunds on it on the packing list though? weird. Anyway so During the RMA I did some research and found out that amd cards run hotter, I have OCD and high temps really cause my OCD to kick it. So I figured I'd go with a Nvidia card instead, but I'm not sure.

The lack of sensitivity of some people...a 390 with an aftermarket cooler runs anywhere from 70 to 80 degrees, that's just the operating temperature. Getting a 970 would mean 3,5 instead of 8 gigs of vram, and a slight lost in performance, and if you don't overclock the card you shouldn't worry about temps anyway. Would a card running hotter than 70ºC (Which is pretty low dude) cause you panic attacks or other kind of episodes? Not judging here, im not in a position in my life to judge people. Are you medicated? some trials have shown high succes rates with sertraline.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I forgot to mention that I don't have a monitor that supports the 390 so if I go with that I'm also going to have to drop $150+ for s new one.

Wtf... First of what resolution do you currently have cause if your on vga which the 390 doesn't have then you need to rethink everything...

The lack of sensitivity of some people...a 390 with an aftermarket cooler runs anywhere from 70 to 80 degrees, that's just the operating temperature. Getting a 970 would mean 3,5 instead of 8 gigs of vram, and a slight lost in performance, and if you don't overclock the card you shouldn't worry about temps anyway. Would a card running hotter than 70ºC (Which is pretty low dude) cause you panic attacks or other kind of episodes? Not judging here, im not in a position in my life to judge people. Are you medicated? some trials have shown high succes rates with sertraline.

troll.jpg

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

get either a MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA card. keep away from strix and zotac

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Wtf... First of what resolution do you currently have cause if your on vga which the 390 doesn't have then you need to rethink everything...

HDMI > VGA costs like 3$ from China, this is what I did to connect a old vga monitor to my R9 290.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

DVI-i I have a vga to dvi i adapter

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

HDMI > VGA costs like 3$ from China, this is what I did to connect a old vga monitor to my R9 290.

I know I have 3 monitors on my 280x 1 hdmi to vga then a display port to vga and a dp to dp so yea

I know I have 3 monitors on my 280x 1 hdmi to vga then a display port to vga and a dp to dp so yea

Only shitting thing about VGA is no VSR which means I couldn't run eyefinity in 5760x1080

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Only shitting thing about VGA is no VSR which means I couldn't run eyefinity in 5760x1080

Wtf I got mine running fine and it's a 2x 1280x1024 and 1x 1920x1200...

Wtf I got mine running fine and it's a 2x 1280x1024 and 1x 1920x1200...

Was LG one, showed "Out of range" blablabla.

Didn't fit good with two 27 inch monitors anyways.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Was LG one, showed "Out of range" blablabla.

Didn't fit good with two 27 inch monitors anyways.

Ewwwwwww yea then yea your better of on one

DVI-i I have a vga to dvi i adapter

Well then at this point I think your on 1080p so yea I'm gonna stop helping now rethink your system first

Well then at this point I think your on 1080p so yea I'm gonna stop helping now rethink your system first

970 or R9 390 are vastly overkill for 1080P, those cards can play games at 1440P and even 4K with ease.

I used to play every game including GTA V maxed out at 30FPS @ 4K on my R9 290 on my TV

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Fair enough, however I should mention I run most games at 1440p

Fair enough, however I should mention I run most games at 1440p

Ok in that case go with 390 everything gets hot once you start using it also the v ram will help with it being higher resolution so it helps more

Ok in that case go with 390 everything gets hot once you start using it also the v ram will help with it being higher resolution so it helps more

What card would you suggest for 1080p?

What card would you suggest for 1080p?

960, 280/x, 380

I mean I can but like the one person said I get paranoid about something happened to it when it gets hot. Anything over 70c worries me.

Really can't read the two pages that are ahead, so if no ones suggested it, Fury X. AIO, cool temps, and overclockers delight. If someone's suggested this, please ignore.

get either a MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA card. keep away from strix and zotac

Just out of curiosity what's wrong with strix cards?

I have an 970 and an 390 in my house atm. I will keep my 970 only because the 390 is so much louder overall and the fans spin sometimes on idle. If noise is not a problem go with the 390 it is a beast

strix 970s lack power...

strix 970s lack power...

what gilang said, both power delivery and cooling sucks on the strix

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC