Tesla Model S Software Update will bring autonomous steering and parking

XYrZbest

Elon Musk mentions on twitter the software update: 

• Also mentions it will be available for all regions
  • The update makes the car capable of the NHTSA Level 2 Automation standard
  • Audi and Toyota were the first to make this possible

tesla0008-640x426.jpg

Sounds pretty cool to me. Good on telsas part to make software updates to cars that bring new features and not just a few patches for security reasons.

Source For Information & Picture: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/teslas-will-soon-be-able-to-park-themselves-steer-on-the-highway/

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

Isn't it illegal in most of the world?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

not exactly sure it seemed like it was part of some official standard from the national highway traffic safety administration. there is more here http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/self-driving-cars-are-coming-but-most-drivers-dont-want-them-yet/ about the standard

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

not when a driver is still in the driver seat. the legallity comes into question when theres no driver to take over. like cruise control can cause a crash, but its okay because a driver is there to override it at any time. 

not when a driver is still in the driver seat. the legallity comes into question when theres no driver to take over. like cruise control can cause a crash, but its okay because a driver is there to override it at any time. 

Aaah.

So it still needs the driver in the driver seat.

Didn't read through the entire article to see that.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

isn't this autopilot.

Aaah.

So it still needs the driver in the driver seat.

Didn't read through the entire article to see that.

............I didnt either, just read the fourm post lol. Was just assuming because 90% the law is in the US you can have the car automatically do everything as long as driver is still in the seat. 

............I didnt either, just read the fourm post lol. Was just assuming because 90% the law is in the US you can have the car automatically do everything as long as driver is still in the seat. 

California is letting you get permits for self driving cars which would be the only state ATM in the US that could use teslas new update they have talked about fully autonomous, but I still think its a long way away

California is letting you get permits for self driving cars which would be the only state ATM in the US that could use teslas new update they have talked about fully autonomous, but I still think its a long way away

if I owned a car as bad ass as a telsa the only time it would drive by itself is if I just got done drinking or someone else very attractive was in the car. 

...so actually, self driving can be very useful 

If a car can gain that much functionality through a software update that's concerning. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

If a car can gain that much functionality through a software update that's concerning. 

I was surprised too

if I owned a car as bad ass as a telsa the only time it would drive by itself is if I just got done drinking or someone else very attractive was in the car. 

...so actually, self driving can be very useful 

For the moment, if you are in the driver seat you must still be legally capable (not drunk/high/sleeping) of taking over.  I think even California stipulated you had to be able to take over if you were able to take over.  So if the car was fully autonomous and the driver was unable to directly control the vehicle in any way besides giving it a destination, you can ride incapacitated (drunk/high/sleeping).  This secondary clause was to allow fully auto vehicles to be used by people who cannot legally drive now (blind, handicap, underage).

I am actually surprised it didn't have autonomous parking already. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

For the moment, if you are in the driver seat you must still be legally capable (not drunk/high/sleeping) of taking over.  I think even California stipulated you had to be able to take over if you were able to take over.  So if the car was fully autonomous and the driver was unable to directly control the vehicle in any way besides giving it a destination, you can ride incapacitated (drunk/high/sleeping).  This secondary clause was to allow fully auto vehicles to be used by people who cannot legally drive now (blind, handicap, underage).

oh I know, I was just saying in the future. thats why I said earlier a big thing was the car still needed a driver. when I said that it was assuming someone capable. 

but still good to point out!

oh I know, I was just saying in the future. thats why I said earlier a big thing was the car still needed a driver. when I said that it was assuming someone capable. 

but still good to point out!

Oh, yah, I can not wait for fully auto vehicles.  I can sleep on my way to work, take long ass road trips without losing my mind on hour 14 of a 30 hour road trip cause I can't look away from the unending road, "free" taxi services when there is limited parking somewhere or I need a ride home from the bar.

The future will be awesome, and it is practically here.  What a time to be alive.

Oh, yah, I can not wait for fully auto vehicles.  I can sleep on my way to work, take long ass road trips without losing my mind on hour 14 of a 30 hour road trip cause I can't look away from the unending road, "free" taxi services when there is limited parking somewhere or I need a ride home from the bar.

The future will be awesome, and it is practically here.  What a time to be alive.

right. and for familys, they may only need one car. or imagine sharing a car lease with like 4 people. because it could just drop them off at work, then come get you. its electric so when no ones using it it will just go back to the charger at home, and you may have to wait for someone else to be done using it, but cars spend 99% of their live parked. it will put miles on it like a mad man, but the cost of owning a car just got cut into 1/4

right. and for familys, they may only need one car. or imagine sharing a car lease with like 4 people. because it could just drop them off at work, then come get you. its electric so when no ones using it it will just go back to the charger at home, and you may have to wait for someone else to be done using it, but cars spend 99% of their live parked. it will put miles on it like a mad man, but the cost of owning a car just got cut into 1/4

good idea

I wonder if we will see more software updates for cars to add more features. tesla sure seems like they will. I guess stuff like this will make the car worth the extra money compared to this new tesla model s copy competitor http://nextshark.com/china-youxia-x-tesla-model-s/

This could even allow you to get a super nice car.  Getting a 150k car is super expensive for one family, but if 4 or 5 families went in together, that is the same price as a regular car for each family.