It doesn't make logical sense. Why are so many water cooling setups doing push vs pull config?

OK, this had been bothering this non eater cooler for awhile and I finally can't stand it anymore.

On a physics based level, it doesn't make sense why everyone had their fans on their radiaters in a "push" vs a "pull" configuration like cars do. The reason I say this is because of a couple of things.

1. In a push configuration, the fan motor hub creates a big dead air zone behind it on the radiator, which logically should reduce cooling. Car radiators don't do this, they have the cooling fan pulling air through the radiator

2. Because of the fans circle shape vs radiator square, you are also creating dead air zones in the upper corners of the radiator. Logic dictates that should also further reduce cooling capacity. Having the fan pulling air will allow airflow through all the radiator cooling fins, like cars do with shrouds attached.

3. The push fan configuration causes all dust and debris to pile up and collect directly behind the fans which eventually will reduce cooling potential. Not to mention, you have to remove the fan to be able to clean that. The pull configuration wouldn't have this problem and much easier to clean.

So, I'm missing something here

maxresdefault.jpg

You are missing the fact that in cooling there is absolutely no difference. If there was it wouldn't be ground breaking. Maybe a degree at most. 

Mainly? 

Logos man, logos. It also looks more appealing to the buyer if they don't see those supporting braces for the motor. If you have to look at a fan, you want to look at the pretty side yea? Well, having a bunch of weird slanty bars isn't pretty, it's square, and boring. Having a circle? with spining blades be the front? damn, now that's pretty.

Let me give you a visual example. 

I've been having too much fun with photoshop today... please someone stop me...

Cooler%20%20proper_1.png

Cooler%20No%20swap.png

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

You are missing the fact that in cooling there is absolutely no difference. If there was it wouldn't be ground breaking. Maybe a degree at most. 

I second this, the difference is negligible when it comes to pc's

barely any difference

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

You are missing the fact that in cooling there is absolutely no difference. 

The question is why. OP states 'I'm missing something here', implying that he knows the results don't really pan out based upon the 3 points he has listed.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It won't effect the thing it is cooling but it may effect other parts in the PC.

It ain't pretty :P

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

when the fan is that close to the rad in pull, there will still be the dead zone around the sides, and in the center.

One thing that is better about pull is the point about dust, as its easier to clean.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

when the fan is that close to the rad in pull, there will still be the dead zone around the sides, and in the center.

One thing that is better about pull is the point about dust, as its easier to clean.

No,  because the air flow will be pulled in from every direction as a result of the suction from the fan pulling air through the radiator. 

No,  because the air flow will be pulled in from every direction as a result of the suction from the fan pulling air through the radiator. 

It makes 0 difference, maybe like a degree or two max. It's for looks. That's it.

I have my fans on top of my rad in pull. Reduce dust and no ugly logos.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

OP Makes 3 very Vaild Points. but there are a few not mentioned. 

the Fan for cars is only really used when there is not enough Ram air moving through it to Cool it down. this means the fan is secondary. 

the Shroud and mount for the fan pull it back from the Radiator allowing an Even Suction effect. but this Is much less restrictive in a Car Environment. and the fans far more powerful while still only pulling through 45-60MM of rad thickness

and with the usage of high pressure fans the Advantage of placing them in pull and using a spacing shroud is minimized

the biggest effect here is Fans don't like Vacuums. when you restrict the intake the fan has to now pull through a lower pressure area. reducing the amount of air flowing through the Rad. with pull fans this airflow is aided by a suction effect in areas that were dead zones. since flowing air will pull in more more air with it. While Push fans Place pressure on the inside of the rad Below the blades. 

TLDR:

Push = high pressure/ Denser air, Deadzones, Looks nice 

Pull = venutri effect is greater. easier to clean. vacuum. Looks ugly

Yeah, but the fins of the rad/ heatsink will segregate the airflow into little channels. There cant be airflow if there isnt a pull from the fan, so the areas of the heatsink in the "deadzone" will have little to no airflow.

this is also shown bu the dust buildup when you have a pull config on a rad, as the dust only builds up where there is airflow, and it creates a pattern in the shape of the fan

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Pull = venutri effect is greater. easier to clean. vacuum. Looks ugly

But if it performs better, why not do it?

No matter how great the theory appears on paper. If it doesn't reflect reality. That means the theory is missing something.

The fact is many people try push vs pull. And the difference is minimum at best.