best AMD cpu for media center pc (no dedicated video card)

im not an amd fan but i know amd has some good chips that can run a single 1080p screen very well if you get good ram. im looking to build a media center pc in a SMALL case that wont have a video card and will be running off CPU graphics. 

can someone tell me what the best amd cpu for intrgated graphics is... i do have a 4k tv, so 4k support would be nice

i will NOT be gaming on this PC.

So why not intel?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

A10-7870K

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

I don't think there is a motherboard with HDMI 2.0 output so 4K isn't happening.

Wont HDMI 1.4 do 24/30 Hz 4K?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

This my man:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($53.79 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $230.77

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-30 15:16 EDT-0400

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

He literally said it's not for gaming, and he wanted a decent igpu, the fanboy is strong with you.

and anything stronger than Intel HD 3000 will do fine for a HTPC which is why it makes sense.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

He literally said it's not for gaming, and he wanted a decent igpu, the fanboy is strong with you.

uh soo??

Why is intel only for gaming?

Fanboy?

I have FX-6300 and HD 7850...

Besides, you dont need a great igpu for not gaming, and the iris pro is amazing, and can even game.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I don't think there is a motherboard with HDMI 2.0 output so 4K isn't happening.

wut?

yes it is, just a 30HRZ wich is fine for not gaminfg

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

What software would you be running?

For media playback only?

For 1080p

Why not the AM1 platform?

An Athlon 5350 has excellent 1080p playback.

-Low power

-Relatively cheap

-Plays back 1080p like a boss.

-I do not have experience with 4k with this APU.

-You can even go with a lesser APU.

For 4K

You may need to go with something that has enough CPU horsepower. Depending on hardware and software being used, there may or may not be support for 4k in the iGPU, so it may have to run off the CPU.

AM1 Athlon 5350

-Some people show positive results, I haven't found anything definitive. Some say 4k HVEC is running at 90% load.

IMO Something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130T 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $201.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-30 15:26 EDT-0400

Would be better. At 35W for the chip and both systems having a cap at 24Hz for 4k (because they are both HDMI 1.4a) You'll be able to put into a smaller case and put a quieter fan on it. Perfect for a media center.

Edit: Hadn't considered AM1, but if it has the chops to play HD video without lag then it could be quite a bit cheaper than this setup and in the same power range.

ok, so lots of replies already thx you.... to clarify.... i wanted to go with an AMD chip and not INTEL because i assume that the cost to performance ratio for an integrated solution would be better with AMD.  

uh soo??

Why is intel only for gaming?

Fanboy?

I have FX-6300 and HD 7850...

Besides, you dont need a great igpu for not gaming, and the iris pro is amazing, and can even game.

We need more people like you. Intel is too overrated

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

ok, so lots of replies already thx you.... to clarify.... i wanted to go with an AMD chip and not INTEL because i assume that the cost to performance ratio for an integrated solution would be better with AMD.  

ah ok.

Now, you might be better off with an i3 or i5 than something like an A10, but not sure

ah ok.

Now, you might be better off with an i3 or i5 than something like an A10, but not sure

When I sugested the i3 it was in reguards to people pushing the A10. The A10 has no place in a HTPC that will be doing no gaming, the i3 is much much cooler and will play the media just as well and it is cheaper.

Edit: it will play it just as well because they are both stuck with HDMI 1.4a so 4k 24FPS

Now a A6- 7400 would be a better option, while warmer than the i3 it is available at half the price and the extra heat shouldn't be an issue unless you are going for one of the very very tiny cases. It would still playback all the media your looking to play and while it only has 2 threads that should not be an issue unless your using the HTPC as a DVR as well. In which case My recommendation goes back too the i3.

The A8 7600 is a good place to look. You can run it in 45W/65W mode which means it will be a nice, cool and small media centre. It's also pretty inexpensive and comes with 384 shaders (R7 240/250 power).

ill also mention i already have a itx socket 1150 motherboard laying around. we have 3 other pcs in the house so we will be doing alot of network video streaming. i only plan to put in a single 120gb ssd for space. 

any thoughts on SMALL itx cases. 

ill also mention i already have a itx socket 1150 motherboard laying around. we have 3 other pcs in the house so we will be doing alot of network video streaming. i only plan to put in a single 120gb ssd for space. 

Then just get a

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-I3-4160-Processor-Hyper-Threading-BX80646I34160/dp/B00LV8U0VE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1435694180&sr=1-1&keywords=i3

and nice small, classy case

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Acrylic-Mini-ITX-Center-ML05B/dp/B00DU6RVK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1435694234&sr=1-1&keywords=silverstone+htpc+itx

-snip-

Would be better. At 35W for the chip and both systems having a cap at 24Hz for 4k (because they are both HDMI 1.4a) You'll be able to put into a smaller case and put a quieter fan on it. Perfect for a media center.

Edit: Hadn't considered AM1, but if it has the chops to play HD video without lag then it could be quite a bit cheaper than this setup and in the same power range.

I have been using an AM1 (Athlon 5350) in a htpc used for over a year now. It plays back 1080p (bluray) quality video with no problems, and works as a DVR. Combined with a Pico PSU I runs at under 20 watts in use.

For 1080p playback would cost about $105 for CPU, MB, RAM. I don't know how well 4k playback. I have yet to test this as it hasn't been a necessity with my 1080 TV.

Well if you are not using the 1150 MB, I may try a build based off that.

If you have the ITX board the I3 I listed is your best bet ( being one of the super power saver chips 35W) you wont be able to get the same level of responsiveness from a different system if you need to buy the board as well.

Do you have the model for the ITX board. is it Mini itx or thin mini itx?

Lian li makes an absolutely tiny ITX case but it's pretty expensive (because lian li). Maybe the fractal node 304 or in win BQ656T?

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

I LOVE THAT CASE..... just bought it, should be here in 2 days, i love amazon prime lol

If you have the ITX board the I3 I listed is your best bet ( being one of the super power saver chips 35W) you wont be able to get the same level of responsiveness from a different system if you need to buy the board as well.

Do you have the model for the ITX board. is it Mini itx or thin mini itx?

the MB i have is........... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7OHW8A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 it has space for the 120gb m.2 ssd i want to use as well as a slot and mounting holes for a wifi card.

I LOVE THAT CASE..... just bought it, should be here in 2 days, i love amazon prime lol

I thought it was a little bulkie but if it what your looking for Congrats. :D

Also that board has 2 Msata slots NOT M.2 one 1x msata for a tiny wifi card and 1 16x msata for expansion or ssd. (according to the Amazon description.)

also I still recommend http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i34130t as it will be cooler under load and Quiet is your best friend for an HTPC.