Intel want's to prevent OC on non-Z87 chipsets

After mainboardmanufacturer AsRock, Asus, ECS, Gigabyte and Biostar  enabled OC of K-Cpus on boards with B85 and H87 chipset, Intel now want's to prevent this with an UEFI/Bios update or via windows update. For now those updates will not be mandatory but maybe they will include some changes in newer haswell cpus to prevent this feature from working.

Sources: http://www.computerbase.de/news/2013-07/intel-geht-gegen-haswell-oc-ohne-z87-chipsatz-vor/ (german)

http://www.hardware.fr/news/13249/intel-bloquer-oc-k-h87-b85-express.html (french)

Makes sense seeing as these boards typically don't feature sufficient power delivery and the OC may end up ruining the board (as discussed regarding the new AMD CPU on the most recent WAN show).

Knew this was going to happen lol. And i agree with them Oc'ing should only be done on Oc certified board...

Interested in Business and Technology

Makes sense seeing as these boards typically don't feature sufficient power delivery and the OC may end up ruining the board (as discussed regarding the new AMD CPU on the most recent WAN show).

But if mobo manufacturers take advantage of this, they'll include the necessary power delivery in all likelihood.

I don't see how Intel can force motherboard manufacturers to comply, unless it threatens to halt those chipset shipments altogether.  But would Intel be willing to follow up on such a threat?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

But if mobo manufacturers take advantage of this, they'll include the necessary power delivery in all likelihood.

I don't see how Intel can force motherboard manufacturers to comply, unless it threatens to halt those chipset shipments altogether.  But would Intel be willing to follow up on such a threat?

Yes they would, I don't see a reason for them not to. When the motherboard manufacturers do equip their boards with top notch power circuitry, why not slap the right chip on as well then?

Why should I have to buy a $150 or $200+ dollar motherboard when $100 or $70 ones have been fine with mild overclocking since forever? It's a money grab pure and simple.

Yes they would, I don't see a reason for them not to. When the motherboard manufacturers do equip their boards with top notch power circuitry, why not slap the right chip on as well then?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

i`m sure that no one will try to get 4.6+ on a non Z board. so its fine there

This is the sort of stuff that happens when there is no competition. Get your ass into gear AMD. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

i agree on the basis that @kuddleworth9419 , mobo makers need to get their asses in gear. when it comes to your your budget boards, yeah you can leave off some of the bells and whistles, but when i spend £250 +pounds on a mobo , i want it to be all 7 all Dancing  i want nothing to be left off, i want to feel like its money well spent.

CPU-3030K @4.0 GHZ.  MOBO-ASUS P9X79 PRO.  RAM-16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600mhz.  Grapics- ASUS 560 Ti 2GB (waiting on a 780TI). Case-Corsair 600T. SSD- OCZ Agility 3 120GB(buyiung a samsun 840 EVO 500GB).  PSU - OCZ ZX850W. Cooler-Corsair H80. Keyboard-Logitech G19. Mouse-Logitech G700  :)

Mouse......out

Was this the only difference between the two chipsets and the Z87? If so I can see that because Intel will be charging a higher price for those chips than the others.

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

That took quite a while for their response. Imo you won't be able to get much off on a non Z87 chipset board since its not designed to be overclockable.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I wonder what Intel's reason for this is.

Are they actually worried about the quality of the boards of is this some kind of business marketing bullcrap?

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

hmmm

i assume there is a number of RMA of H and B boards due to OC ? 

i assume there is a number of RMA of H and B boards due to OC ? 

Intel does not even make motherboards any more, so i don't see how it is any of there business if ASUS or Gigabyte or whoever choses to make a H or B board that is overclocking capable.

If The manufacture does not believe the board they are selling will be capable of overclocking then they have the choice to disable or tone down this feature.

GPU: Gigabyte HD7970 | Mobo: ASUS Z97i PLUS | CPU: 4790K

HDD: Samsung 1tb SSD | Disp: 3x Asus 23.6" 1080p

RAM: 16gb Kingston Hyper X | Case: None

Intel does not even make motherboards any more, so i don't see how it is any of there business if ASUS or Gigabyte or whoever choses to make a H or B board that is overclocking capable.

If The manufacture does not believe the board they are selling will be capable of overclocking then they have the choice to disable or tone down this feature.

Well it does reflect on Intel because they make the CPU and the Chipset, and generally design a reference design for mobos 

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

Well it does reflect on Intel because they make the CPU and the Chipset, and generally design a reference design for mobos 

It is true that the chipset is all in Intel's corner, but the motherboards (which it seems people are looking to as the week point) are entirely the business of the manufacturer,

Intel is not the one taking any of the RMA boards because something melted.

if Intel is afraid there chipset is not up to scratch well they should have made a better chipset.

Putting out a blanket "no overclocking on H and B" seems kind of weak to me.

GPU: Gigabyte HD7970 | Mobo: ASUS Z97i PLUS | CPU: 4790K

HDD: Samsung 1tb SSD | Disp: 3x Asus 23.6" 1080p

RAM: 16gb Kingston Hyper X | Case: None

Why not include a warning before overclocking on these boards? Not allowing it will simply be ineffective, look at how the war on drugs turned out.

no they won't. Most mobo manufacturers already have "oc certified boards". Intel is only trying to stop oc's on cheap $70 mobos

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Why not include a warning before overclocking on these boards? Not allowing it will simply be ineffective, look at how the war on drugs turned out.

They kinda already do, no matter what your board is. If you overclock your cpu, your voiding the warrenty.

They kinda already do, no matter what your board is. If you overclock your cpu, your voiding the warrenty.

If they give you a warning beforehand, why not allow us to do whatever we want with it? It seems to me that it has to do with profit (encouraging the sale of Z87 boards), in which case they should offer more features to warrant the extra cost of Z87 boards rather than taking away features that work on already existing boards.

If they give you a warning beforehand, why not allow us to do whatever we want with it? It seems to me that it has to do with profit (encouraging the sale of Z87 boards), in which case they should offer more features to warrant the extra cost of Z87 boards rather than taking away features that work on already existing boards.

1. it would give intel and mobo manufactures a bad name. If you see your mobo fried, and u didnt know why it happened, your probably going to stay away from that brand.

2. WAYYY to many people would rma their boards.

3. The only people that would buy a 3770k and a $60 motherboard would be the (for lack of a better word) uneducated ones. Why would they spend more money on something that, to them, does the exact same thing. Then, they would be the ones trying to RMA it, and then talk to their friends about the "horrible" brand that shorted their motherboard

In my experiences, I don't really care. the "Z" series has more features and functionality that don't involve overclocking anyway.

I'm mad about the pricing of Z series boards, they are way overpriced, especially the Enthusiast 2011 ones.

In my experiences, I don't really care. the "Z" series has more features and functionality that don't involve overclocking anyway.

I'm mad about the pricing of Z series boards, they are way overpriced, especially the Enthusiast 2011 ones.

The 2011 boards are on the X79 platform.

The 2011 boards are on the X79 platform.

I was talking about motherboards in general...plus X79 is still overpriced :/